British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 61

Why is everyone sending their second episodes in so early? What if you think of a brilliant line tomorrow but you've sent it off? :O

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 4 2010, 11:49 PM GMT

Why is everyone sending their second episodes in so early? What if you think of a brilliant line tomorrow but you've sent it off? :O

Have you ever had the heartbreak of waiting til the last second to send something off and your Internet goes down? :( Teary

Besides, you have a week to work out any kinks before it's performed and the director might even chip in some good suggestions. Committing it to an email and sending it off also stops you from procrastinating to the point where you miss the deadline and there is no second episode.

Sending it in the day before the deadline isn't what I would call early. Fantasing about your glittering future comedy career, imagining which famous actress you'll end up shagging and online shopping for new houses is perfectly acceptable though.

Shhh. I'm trying to fool my subconcious into believing I've sent it so that it will come up with the killer lines like it always does once I've submitted.

Quote: rwayne @ February 4 2010, 10:55 PM GMT

So which one ( or several ) of you lovely people,does someone very very new to writing,turn to for advice and guidance ?.

Check out critique, you'll soon see who talks most sense.

Once you've eaten ten donuts, you pick up the eleventh with a degree less joyful anticipation.

Quote: Marc P @ February 5 2010, 8:12 AM GMT

Once you've eaten ten donuts, you pick up the eleventh with a degree less joyful anticipation.

You know me, I just being really sensible, taking my time and working hard to get it just right. ;)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 5 2010, 8:14 AM GMT

You know me, I just being really sensible, taking my time and working hard to get it just right. ;)

Oh I started on mine just after I sent the first one in.. you know, just in case!

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Ponderer @ February 4 2010, 11:42 PM GMT

I think I'm going for the second one too (assuming my director agrees). I'm pretty sure its better but it does feel scary.
Errr

I think I'm going to go for ep 2, as well. Writing it made me want to go back and re-write episode 1! Don't know if it is funnier, but the story seemed to come together a bit easier (eventually, by which I mean, er, yesterday...) Not sure, we shall see...

Sent now, anyhow, as I need to not spend any more time stressing about it! :)

Quote: Ponderer @ February 4 2010, 11:42 PM GMT

Oddly, I have the opposite problem. Lots of com but weak on the sit. Maybe you could trade me some character development and plot twists for 26 'I say, I say, I say' gags? ;)

That's a thought - let's have a go at writing the first modern music hall theatre sitcom!

Marc - Lay off the donuts - remember they're food not love.

I'm with Dolly - I'm planning some more writing today before I send off. Although I've had the same experience as RC of a computer crash at last minute - so might not wait til midnight.

As far as giving advice goes, while we're on this thread I'd suggest attending one of Simon and Dec's workshops (In the interests of fairness and not sucking up - other workshops are available). It really is illuminating hearing your script read aloud if you've not before and getting to chat to other writers and pick up some good tips.

Interesting how many of us are keen to use Episode Two - I'm still wondering is that because we've read our first one so many times we're a bit bored of it or that the process means our characters are established so it's been easier to write from that point of view, and is better for it.... In which case I'm off to write episode 3!

It's great how we can all be so supportive to each other at this stage, safe in the knowledge there's room for all of us to the next round.

Let's see who's first to crack (on the nice front) after the verdict next Sunday. Whistling nnocently

But yes for now good luck all.

Hiya EDW Wave

Quote: Jane P @ February 5 2010, 8:53 AM GMT

That's a thought - let's have a go at writing the first modern music hall theatre sitcom!

Marc - Lay off the donuts - remember they're food not love.

Hiya EDW Wave

I'm just licking the icing off now, and I may be thick but I am still not sure if we get to choose what is read next week or if Declan and Simon do and then after that we speak with a director and work out which is best for the next round - should we make it.

Hi Marc and everyone

You speak to the director who has been assigned to you at this stage, just for the readthrough, and decide between you what you'd like presented.

And we're going to read all the second episodes, we just want to hear what the best material sounds like.

The thing that I'm most pleased about this process is the above posts - writers agreeing that the second episode they've written is better than the first one. This is one of the reasons why we're doing it - we want to promote the best writing possible.

We were also pleased that someone very high up in the industry described it as 'an excellent idea'.

Cheers, Declan

Not powerful, just very tall... :)

I'm sending mine today. Basically, it needs a final polish, a logic check and 15 minutes' worth of jokes. I will risk the internet failure, as I don't really have a choice.

Dan

I don't know how you all cope, I'm really excited/nervous for you all and I'm not even in it

I'm just tweaking the second script now. I'm hoping that a combination of tea and double decker chocolate bars is enough to inspire me.

Done and sent off. It didn't feel that funny. Mind you, after the 200th read, none of the individual words made any sense either...

Dan

I'm feeling the same way. At some point they were words but now they're just strings of letters, meaningless letters...

More tea, and more chocolate!