British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 31

Badge uses a very small font.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 20 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

Badge uses a very small font.

...or very large paper.

Quote: bushbaby @ December 20 2009, 5:56 PM GMT

I find a bottle or two of red does it for me :D

Ribena or Vimto, or do you mean like those big bottles full of M&Ms?

...must go write.

Quote: CKY88 @ December 20 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

So Kevin you went to one of the workshops, what made you decide on a complete re-write what was wrong with your characters and plot that made you want to change them?

Tough question.

The workshop made me identify a weak character. It also gave me a reasonably good idea which were the strongest and weakest scenes. Of that I'm certain.

The other changes I'm making I'm making for other reasons.

There's a chance that the script I submit will be weaker than the original. But, as a sitcom rookie, I think the rewriting experience will have its own rewards.

Quote: CKY88 @ December 20 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

Page 2! is that including the title page? :P

On the plus side I have read it through and it comes in on exactly 15 minutes.

I just found out there may be a major problem with the script I submitted three weeks ago so I've been furiously trying to write a new idea over the weekend. Gone quite well but it's slightly too long so some sleep and objectivity over the next few days before some painful pruning - I won't rush and will probably get it off on the last day!!!

I'd be interested to know how others time their work - I'm always a little off. And I don't allow for laughs (cos I never expect them!). I find timing the hardest part, probably. Any tips?

Quote: Empty @ December 21 2009, 3:42 PM GMT

I find timing the hardest part, probably. Any tips?

Look at the time. Read the script out loud. Look at the time again. Deduct the first time from the second time. Bingo.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 21 2009, 3:47 PM GMT

Look at the time. Read the script out loud. Look at the time again. Deduct the first time from the second time. Bingo.

You should write comedy.

I often read faster than other performers, cos I know the material. Then I end up with too much. So I try and slow down but seem to go too slow. I get actors round and everyone time they perform it they go at different speeds.

Well there is always the 1 page per minute theory, but I found that just setting a timer and act it out yourself not just simply reading the lines say them how they should be said pauses etc and then you will get a rough idea, it will never be exactly precise so give or take a minute or so but at least you will get a general idea.

Quote: CKY88 @ December 21 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

Well there is always the 1 page per minute theory, but I found that just setting a timer and act it out yourself not just simply reading the lines say them how they should be said pauses etc and then you will get a rough idea, it will never be exactly precise so give or take a minute or so but at least you will get a general idea.

thanks - the first script I submitted ran at 17.5 pages and was (on aggregate)14 mins after several performances. I hope that wasn't wildly inaccurate!

sounds about right, plus you may have small set changes which may take some time I think 15-20 pages is about right depending on the amount of dialogue and action.

Mines 4 scenes and 15 pages long at the moment I think it may be a little too short :S

If it's short maybe put in a little tap routine.

I say sir, how much are these little taps... etc.

*Inserts*

Philip walks into kitchen.

PHILIP
I say sir, how much are these little taps.

GARY
These are not taps, they are my wife's breasts...

Quote: CKY88 @ December 21 2009, 4:42 PM GMT

Mines 4 scenes and 15 pages long at the moment I think it may be a little too short :S

This often happens to me. When it does, I just give my principal character a stutter.

Quote: Griff @ December 21 2009, 4:51 PM GMT

The worst thing to do with comedy is fawcett.

:D But I think faucet

Quote: CKY88 @ December 21 2009, 4:54 PM GMT

*Inserts*

Philip walks into kitchen.

PHILIP
I say sir, how much are these little taps.

GARY
These are not taps, they are my wife's breasts...

Philip
Do you turn them on the same way?

Quote: Griff @ December 21 2009, 4:51 PM GMT

The worst thing to do with comedy is fawcett.

You've taken the tap puns too Farah.