British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 2

2. Entrants may submit more than one script. Each script must be accompanied by an entry fee (minimum £5 per script). There are no refunds whatsoever.

Great, now this profession starts costing money.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 7 2009, 11:05 AM BST

Great, now this profession starts costing money.

A lot of competitions charge a fee for entrance. This isn't unusal. Not sure how the bronze and etc different approaches will affect the final selection processes, hard to see how it wouldn't; the more the diectors etc work on a project and see it shaping up as they would like to see it, the more likely they will be to pick it I guess. Seems like human nature. Forty quid to get you work staged with pro actors in a venue with industry peeps present doesn't sound bad if you look at it that way I guess.

Quote: Marc P @ October 7 2009, 11:27 AM BST

Forty quid to get you work staged with pro actors in a venue with industry peeps present doesn't sound bad if you look at it that way I guess.

I thought it was five quid? Huh?

Quote: Marc P @ October 7 2009, 11:27 AM BST

A lot of competitions charge a fee for entrance. This isn't unusal. Not sure how the bronze and etc different approaches will affect the final selection processes, hard to see how it wouldn't; the more the diectors etc work on a project and see it shaping up as they would like to see it, the more likely they will be to pick it I guess. Seems like human nature. Forty quid to get you work staged with pro actors in a venue with industry peeps present doesn't sound bad if you look at it that way I guess.

That's a fair enough rationalisation, but doesn't it just feel a bit icky? Like one of those vanity publishing scams?

I can't imagine many people won't go for the Gold option.
If you're in for a fiver anyway, the extra £35 quid seems pretty good value.
You couldn't put something like that on for that kind of money yourself.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 7 2009, 12:49 PM BST

That's a fair enough rationalisation, but doesn't it just feel a bit icky? Like one of those vanity publishing scams?

Having worked with Simon and Declan last year through the Sitcoom Trials I am pretty sure this is no vanity publishing deal. Your script will be performed, in my experience by good actors in front of people who can make a difference to getting it made. £40 is, as Marc said, not a bad rate for that kind of access. Admittedly it is a punt, but I'd pay that for Baby Cow (for example) to read my script, and staging it adds way more impact.

Don't forget, they will incur some significant costs in this too.

Yes as Rodin above has said they are trying to recover their costs I should imagine, I can't see them making oodles of wongar out of this. If things are up front what's the problem?

It's not the BBC or a charitable institue running it. In fact the BBC wouldn't be involved if people had to paya fee to enter, as they couldn't be under their charter as I understand it.

I guess the real issue is the selection process. Will there be a strict parity of criteria applied to the final selection if you are a five pound entry or a forty pound entry? At the end of the day the people putting the show on get to choose and it's not always a meritocracy is it? I am not just talking about here or the Sitcom Trials, just turn your TV on to see how that works.

Quote: Marc P @ October 7 2009, 4:15 PM BST

It's not the BBC or a charitable institue running it. In fact the BBC wouldn't be involved if people had to paya fee to enter, as they couldn't be under their charter as I understand it.

They won't even put it in writersroom/opportunities if there is a fee to enter.

Quote: Marc P @ October 7 2009, 4:15 PM BST

it's not always a meritocracy is it? I am not just talking about here or the Sitcom Trials, just turn your TV on to see how that works.

You just have to come blundering in with reality in your pocket, don't you, Marc? :(

Like I've said before, the workshop is very good value at £40 by itself, so to get the workshop, feedback and entry, that's the one to go for.

Incidentally, for a tenner you get feedback on your script. Who gives feedback at all if you're a newbie? Practically no-one unless you're very lucky! The only feedback around here appears to be around the £40-60 mark minimum so to get entry AND feedback is fantastic for a tenner!

In many ways, the feedback is probably more important than the entry itself if you're in it for the long game.

Dan

If I may be so bold...

Quote: simon wright @ October 7 2009, 5:11 PM BST

Definitely OK to submit scripts already submitted for the Sitcom Trials. We only insist that your script hasn't actually been performed in the upcoming Trials. We want to be able to offer Tiger Aspect et al fresh material, and it would seem weird for them to judge a script twice; once for the Trials and once for us.

The only other stipulation we have is that scripts are 15 minutes in length with no cliffhanger (ie self-contained).

We're aiming to develop scripts so that writers, directors and actors have more time to bring out the best in the material. We know we can attract top production companies. What we now want is to be able to justify their attention by giving them work that's as good as it can be.

Simon
for
The Sitcom Mission

I didn't see the different entry methods before I just read the £5 minimum on the rules page and thought by minimum it meant you can pay more if you want as a sort of donation.

But having seen the different entries I think it's a great idea!

Quote: Ponderer @ October 7 2009, 4:02 PM BST

Having worked with Simon and Declan last year through the Sitcoom Trials I am pretty sure this is no vanity publishing deal. Your script will be performed, in my experience by good actors in front of people who can make a difference to getting it made. £40 is, as Marc said, not a bad rate for that kind of access. Admittedly it is a punt, but I'd pay that for Baby Cow (for example) to read my script, and staging it adds way more impact.

Don't forget, they will incur some significant costs in this too.

I wasn't suggesting this wasn't kosher.

Just feels icky, is all.

What exactly do you get for the £40 workshop?

Proper actor types read through your sitcom (out loud) and you get a feel for what it's like/how it's received. You'll also do some exercises before the actors turn up and discuss the ins and outs of what they're looking for.

Dan