British Comedy Guide

Writers wanted

Newsrevue is a topical sketch show which is now in its 28th year, making it the longest running live comedy in the world. It currently resides at the Canal Cafe Theatre in Maida Vale where a Guinness World Record certificate hangs on the wall.

Newsrevue has seen many famous names in comedy pass through its ranks- for example, Bill Bailey, The League of Gentlemen, Robert Newman, Rory Bremner and The Trap. The Canal Cafe Theatre has played host to the like of The Consultants, Daniel Kitson, Stewart Lee and Eddie Izzard- aswell as Russell Howard, Stephen K Amos, The Cowards and Lucy Porter- amongst many others.

The in-house show, Newsrevue, runs every week of the year from Thurs-Sun at 9.30pm (9pm Sun) and has played the Edinburgh Fringe for the last 17 years where it has won numerous awards and plays to sellout houses.

We are constantly seeking new writers as the show is updated weekly. We currently have a pool of writers from all over the country who email their material to us- some of which is performed that very night.

The format of the show is as follows; four performers (2 men, 2 women) a director and an MD and an hour long show consisting of songs, sketches and voice overs- all on a topical theme. We cover politics, pop culture and any other newsworthy topics. Think Dead Ringers, Have I Got News For You and Private Eye- onstage.

If you think you could write for Newsrevue, please write to:

mail@canalcafetheatre.com

If you would like further information about the show, please visit;

www.newsrevue.com

We look forward to hearing from you,

Gemma Arrowsmith (Director- Newsrevue)

I hear rumours I couldn't possibly repeat about why you constantly need new writers!

errr i hope the rumours arent bad because im going to check some of this out, it could be a good way of getting some of my sketches out there, il be getting in contact with you soon gemma.

Hi Paul

Thanks- you'd be most welcome.

As for the rumours- I am a freelance director and am consequently not able to throw any light the subject- apologies. What I will say is this; numerous independent sketch groups have grown from Newsrevue. It is a great platform to meet like minded people and begin airing your work.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Gemma

well thats sounds jolly good ive sent an Email to you lot asking a few basic questions and im waiting a reply and then if you guys want il send some skeches.

I'm also interested. I sent an email to mail@newsrevue.com on Saturday, but as I haven't got a reply yet, I'm wondering whether I should have sent one to mail@canalcafetheatre.com instead. Huh?

Hi

Yes, send your mail to mail@canalcafetheatre.com.

Gemma x

Ok everythings come through including what i can and cannot write etc. now the nervous part... you guys liking what i send in.

Frostyboy! Look an x!

I heard my first ever laugh from an audience thanks to NR. A good feeling! Go for it!

i live in the midlands so if i do get my stuff performed i probably wont know the feeling :(

It takes me 4 hrs to get there from the middle of nowhere on a good day but it really does help to see the show and get a feel for what you're writing for.

understandable. i will definately have to visit the theatre one day (sounds like a laugh) ofcourse first I want to know if they like what i send them.

sent my first sketch on the north korean nuclear weapons crisis.

and thanks for the advice croydes

Don't read too much in to an "x"-! But do you send your stuff in. We'd be very appreciative.

Gemma

She's such a tease. x

I still haven't got a reply to the email I sent a few days ago.