British Comedy Guide

Favourite Hideaways Page 3

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 29 2009, 2:05 PM BST

I think my dad used to drink there, so it could have been him. He's been on a bender with Peter O'Toole.

Peter O'Toole was at my fortieth boirthday party, Err I meant 30th birthday party.

:)

Is it raining or do I hear namedropping? Pleased

That's cool Marc. How'd you manage that?

Quote: Marc P @ July 29 2009, 2:11 PM BST

Peter O'Toole was at my fortieth boirthday party, Err I meant 30th birthday party.

Really? Did he gate crash?

My dad used to see people on the telly and then realise he'd been drinking with them the day and night before.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 29 2009, 2:09 PM BST

For a writer's hideaway, I would recommend The Holiday Inn, Guildford (main one, not the Express). The perfect place to stay, write and overhear great dialogue and spy on potential comedy characters in their guise of real guests.

Does it have a pool? I'm owed a few days away in a few weeks. I was thinking of a spa or health farm though.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 29 2009, 2:15 PM BST

Really? Did he gate crash?

My dad used to see people on the telly and then realise he'd been drinking with them the day and night before.

Yeah it was in a bar on the Hill in Harrow and he was just there. My brother chatted to him as he knew him but I didn't - the f**ker wasn't invited!

:D

Quote: Marc P @ July 29 2009, 2:18 PM BST

Yeah it was in a bar on the Hill in Harrow and he was just there. My brother chatted to him as he knew him but I didn't - the f**ker wasn't invited!

:D

Ah, but was it a private party or a public bar?

I'm sure I'm being stalked by the actor Eddie Marsden. I even got some photos developed from New Years Eve 1999 and he was spookily in the background.

Cafe Cafe

Public bar.

Still.

I did, mind you, get v v drunk with Mister Elphick once, maybe your dad was in the background.

Quote: Marc P @ July 29 2009, 2:26 PM BST

Cafe Cafe

Public bar.

Still.

I did, mind you, get v v drunk with Mister Elphick once, maybe your dad was in the background.

Did Elphick say he'd been watching you, prancin' like a tit?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 29 2009, 2:30 PM BST

Did Elphick say he'd been watching you, prancin' like a tit?

No.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Marc P @ July 29 2009, 1:56 PM BST

I used to live just round the corner from here.

Still like popping back now and again.

The Wheatsheaf always used to be the last pub on a night out, probably because of their 'windmill' attitude in the mid-late 80s.

I've never crossed the threshold sober.

I don't really have one yet. :(

Strangford Lough. Barren, desolate, remote, ace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangford_Lough

The Norfolk coast, Sherringham in particular and a few remote places in Cornwall.

Josef Fritzl's basement.

Till they started charging £5 to get in anyway.

Quote: Loopey @ August 2 2009, 1:07 AM BST

The Norfolk coast, Sherringham in particular and a few remote places in Cornwall.

*Sheringham

The Norfolk coast is the place to be right now if you like Ladybirds.

On my fence at the time of posting, there is an average of 40 Ladybirds per square foot.