British Comedy Guide

The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 758

What frightens me most about Ronaldo is his Adam's Apple.

So, Portugal v Brazil final then?
What odds, BB?

You get your money on it.

France v Portugal could be a tasty semi final.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th December 2022, 10:45 PM

So, Portugal v Brazil final then?
What odds, BB?

9/2. Not particularly generous considering France, Argentina & the Netherlands are still in there pitching.

Favourite is France v Brazil @ 4/1.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th December 2022, 9:20 AM

9/2. Not particularly generous considering France, Argentina & the Netherlands are still in there pitching.

Favourite is France v Brazil @ 4/1.

Of those, all things being equal (which they rarely are) I would only put France as a threat to Portugal on current form.
As long as they keep CR7 off the pitch, that is?

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th December 2022, 10:27 AM

Of those, all things being equal (which they rarely are) I would only put France as a threat to Portugal on current form.
As long as they keep CR7 off the pitch, that is?

Well, I don't know. Was it just a one-off? They're all a bit up and down.

You wouldn't have thought Portugal until last night. Maybe not Brazil until Monday night. You might have thought Spain after their first game.

Um - have France qualified for the semi-final yet?

"Coin" collecting was all the rage in the late 60s with petrol - anyone still got this set?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th December 2022, 10:55 AM

Well, I don't know. Was it just a one-off? They're all a bit up and down.

You wouldn't have thought Portugal until last night. Maybe not Brazil until Monday night. You might have thought Spain after their first game.

What a difference a couple of days make!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th December 2022, 9:26 AM

"Coin" collecting was all the rage in the late 60s with petrol - anyone still got this set?

They are adorning my mantel piece as we speak.

Taking pride pf place in my lounge along with the World Cup edition of the Radio Times dated July 9 - 15 1966, a single of World Cup Willie by Lonnie Donegan, sheet Music for Back Home, a 1966 World Cup Tournament programme, a silk 1966 World Cup handkerchief, a signed Typhoo Tea card of Bobby Moore, a framed completed Jules Rimet Cup jigsaw from Shredded Wheat, a framed 1966 replica shirt signed by nine of the starting XI and a framed print of Martin Peters scoring the 2nd England goal in the 1966 final signed by the man himself and four others.

Plus the back of seat number 67 from the "old" Wembley.

All part of my four-yearly re-design. Only this time they have to fight for room with the Christmas decorations.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th December 2022, 1:16 PM

They are adorning my mantel piece as we speak.

Taking pride pf place in my lounge along with the World Cup edition of the Radio Times dated July 9 - 15 1966, a single of World Cup Willie by Lonnie Donegan, sheet Music for Back Home, a 1966 World Cup Tournament programme, a silk 1966 World Cup handkerchief, a signed Typhoo Tea card of Bobby Moore, a framed completed Jules Rimet Cup jigsaw from Shredded Wheat, a framed 1966 replica shirt signed by nine of the starting XI and a framed print of Martin Peters scoring the 2nd England goal in the 1966 final signed by the man himself and four others.
Plus the back of seat number 67 from the "old" Wembley.
All part of my four-yearly re-design. Only this time they have to fight for room with the Christmas decorations.

So, you like football then?

I had a couple of 1966 items up until about a year ago - a bottle of Watney's World Cup Willie Pale Ale and a bar banner promoting same, which I got in the mid 60s from a now closed down country pub - sold them on eBay.

Really nice to know you have that coin set though! ? The one I have stashed away somewhere is the set (mounted in same sort of card, but I think Shell) of space flights up until Apollo 9.

All set up for a Croatia v Morocco final then.

Its barmy.
Great fun this World Cup.

Morocco v England ya miserable gets,