British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 4

I might enter this time.

Funnily enough, I haven't actually got any script ready and waiting in my famously bursting portfolio to submit.
I'm going to have to write something new. GASP!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 10 2009, 9:09 PM BST

I might enter this time.

Funnily enough, I haven't actually got any script ready and waiting in my famously bursting portfolio to submit.
I'm going to have to write something new. GASP!

You must have finished it by now Mikey! ;)

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Emails checked, crafty wank-wanked, cigarette lit, knuckles cracked...

Open up my script writing application and select the Stage Play formatting Cool, when suddenly I'm presented with an unfamiliar character, 'ACT 1'.

Anyone care to explain the proper use of Acts, in scripts? I think I understand what they are, but would they be necessary for the 13 minute sitcom trials? Would the first Act end during the "cliff hanger" moment?

Righto, cheers Griff.

Now all I have to do is think of an idea...

Errr

Quote: swerytd @ July 10 2009, 6:33 PM BST

From the point-of-view of someone who went to two stagings of this last season (a heat and the final), please make sure your scripts are not just 15 minutes of people sitting down for the whole lot. You can see f**k-all from the back of the downstairs room as the stage is not elevated. (Especially if some prick with a cummulonimbus-based afro sits anywhere between you and the stage). You might get the front-row votes, but that's all you'll get as second row back won't see anything.

Get 'em up and walking around, and discussing things standing up.

<realises what he's just said and goes to change his own script>

Dan

Dan points out that because neither stage nor audience is raked, there are real sightline problems if you have two people sitting down chatting for long periods. I'd like to add that it's a fairly good indicator that you have script problems, too.
Never forget the value of conflict. If your characters are energised, passionate and conflicted they're probably not in a cosy physical relationship to each other either.
People sitting down agreeing with each other is what you want for a first date. Not for a sitcom.

Doh! I seem to have hijacked Dan's original message and therefore seem to be quoting myself. No wonder we agree.
Sorry Dan, no idea how that happened. If somebody can rectify that, please do.

That wasn't a go at the organisers btw. Just remember one script in particular that was five people sitting down for 15 minutes. The dialogue was okay but you couldn't see anything!

Dan

Quote: simon wright @ July 11 2009, 9:52 AM BST

People sitting down agreeing with each other is what you want for a first date. Not for a sitcom.

Something you'd like to share Simon? :)

At least one person on the sofa is a staple of TV sitcom - but I agree on stage a bit of movement makes a lot of difference.

(You should be able to edit/ delete your post.)

So The Royle Family wouldn't have worked on the Sitcom Trials ;)

Also The Royle Family did not really nail those cliffhanger moments.

Quote: Timbo @ July 11 2009, 11:17 AM BST

Also The Royle Family did not really nail those cliffhanger moments.

:) Until the baby came along. Ahhh.

Quote: Griff @ July 11 2009, 11:14 AM BST

But, hey, that's just my opinion. Why not send in a completely static script with no movement and see how you get on.

Yeah, I wasn't being serious...

Conversly the Sitcom Trials shows I saw with loads of movement and to-ing and fro-ing were confusing for the audience.

It's not so much the odd scene I was referring to -- that's understandable. It's the ones that were pretty much the whole bloomin' 15 minutes!

Dan

I found ones where everyone is running on and off stage difficult to follow. But then I would be happy with 15 minutes of 2 people standing a bus stop if the dialogue was good enough. :)