British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 25

There were less writers there than I expected, to be honest. Mind you, the writers who were there but unaffiliated with any script (myself included) still laughed at all the entries and it was enjoyable.

If you don't laugh at funny stuff, how can you call yourself a comedy writer? :)

Dan

At the last ones, there were two showings - one at 5pm and one at 7pm. The 5pm ones were for industry types and bods who couldn't make it to the 7pm. I can't speak for everyone's experiences, but the 5pm showing for mine was like a frikkin' morgue - everyone was sober and nobody wanted to be the first to laugh.

In comparison, my 7pm showing was like Mardi Gras, a U2 concert and the end of Return of the Jedi all rolled into one (but without Bono and most of the Ewoks) in comparison. People had had a few drinks and the atmosphere was much more convivial.

The audience was pretty split between friends of the writers / cast, industry types and just generally interested comedy fans. But as Dan / SwertyD has said, if it's funny, then people will laugh despite themselves.

However, at some of the performances, you could hear some forced laughter from partisan camps within the audience. So if your's does get selected, be sure to get tickets and bring some mates, as any support will only go in your favour.

As a super plus mega bonus, I got to meet several of the posters here on the BCG and what a lovely bunch of coconuts people they turned out to be. Lovey

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 6 2009, 5:47 PM BST

I have this strange image in my head of a load of self interested writers trying not to laugh at any other piece but their own, should it help them get chosen over theirs.

:D Self interested you say Alfred, who are you going to be championing?

I'm in Japan from 8-18 October, but I'd definitely attend in my jetlagged state if my script got anywhere... Does anybody have any idea when rehearsals would start? (If my script *did* get anywhere I'd hate not to be able to attend any of those!)

I'm also getting worried about the amount of characters - only because of the way they look on the title page. I've got five main characters and the other roles are tiny, including 'voice messages' (i.e. don't even appear on stage) and such - but they look like a lot on the opening page as they had to be listed there... I hope that doesn't put them off reading any further.

Ennie, I had five people in my cast, so it shouldn't be a problem. As for 'voice messages', I'm sure your cast can double up for additional roles and just shout out the off stage stuff from...er, off stage.

Worry about the techinal bits if and when you get to the finals. Similarly, with rehearsals and the actual date of the performance.

Good luck!

I suppose I am just thinking about poor Kev and James reading through all those scripts...if I was doing that, by the end I'd be looking for any reason to more easily shortlist, especially if someone seemed to have a cast of thousands, as evidenced by the first page (even if there are 'only' actually five main ones...)

Anyway, thanks RC - good to hear this from someone who knows! :)

Ten minutes and counting...

Can you please say, "Bam!" @ midnight? :D

A close call, but I sent my submission at 11.55pm. :P

Just managed to send off my entry. There's nothing like a deadline is there?

As another attendee from last year I'd echo Renegade's points. The most beneficial thing about the process for me was seeing the work develop from page to stage and working with great actors and director. They did make really good suggestions but you need to be there to stop it becoming entirely their show. I know not everyone was as lucky as I was though.

In terms of cast etc. I had 5 main characters and lots of railway announcements which were pre-recorded so I don't think you'll have a problem Ennie. I am sure that they are trying to find the best they can (their reputation rests on it) so I wouldn't worry about them looking for excuses to cull scripts, I'm sure they'll give them all a thorough read. they can't afford to miss a gem for a few extra characters.

Good luck to all who are having a go.

Got mine in at 23.oo but I've just realised I buggered up the front page. The rest is perfect. Typical! Let's hope they don't notice eh, then again if they don't that's not a great sign either. We shall see.

Bam!

Sorry I'm late.

Quote: Bam! @ September 7 2009, 12:12 AM BST

Bam!

Sorry I'm late.

:D It's OK, I'm sure it's still 12am somewhere in the world.

Also sent in my very, very best scene, and I'm usually protective of my best quality stuff - okay if gets chosen but you just worry more and feel more inadequate if it doesn't. Well I do. Tried adapting a 2nd or 3rd best scene but I couldn't make it kick harris quite like the best one. Oh well, I'd better get the whole episode done and sent off somewhere now to put my mind more at ease.

[quote name="Alfred J Kipper" post="491033" date="September 7 2009, 12:43 AM BST"]Also sent in my very, very best scene, and I'm usually protective of my best quality stuff -

Protective in the sense you don't send it anywhere?