British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 2

Don't put yourself down - you don't seem that much of a knob.

Quote: Marc P @ July 7 2009, 4:24 PM BST

knob

Heh. Knob.

First off I'm really excited about this. Last year I didn't find out until 2 weeks before the deadline and had to rush.

I just have a couple of questions.

Is there any limit to the number of scripts one person can submit?

As far as 'Stageability' goes, are things like tables and chairs or other furniture allowed? If not that's not really a problem.

You can convert a word document like scriptsmart into pdf. quite easily.

If we send something in, which we are very likely to do, how are we supposed to lay out the setting, because most of the videos I have watched had one location and two characters sitting down.

What is the criteria for the scripts? Ie. what if the first ten minutes switch between locations?

Quote: Griff @ July 9 2009, 9:39 PM BST

My point was that you can't easily (or I can't) convert Final Draft to Word. And since everybody usually wants Word (e.g. the Newsjack "No PDFs" guidelines), I've never bothered much with Final Draft. But since the Trials want PDF (which Final Draft does easily) I now have an opportunity to use Final Draft without worrying about Word format.

Cool. I have Final Draft. Very rarely use it. I'm more worried about this option business if I am honest.

Quote: Griff @ July 9 2009, 9:39 PM BST

My point was that you can't easily (or I can't) convert Final Draft to Word. And since everybody usually wants Word (e.g. the Newsjack "No PDFs" guidelines), I've never bothered much with Final Draft. But since the Trials want PDF (which Final Draft does easily) I now have an opportunity to use Final Draft without worrying about Word format.

I see. I think word docs are usually asked for when there may be some changes done to the script by the recipient. I find .docx files are the ones no one can open and pdf are pretty safe because they can be opend by mac and Window users.

FD lets you save as RTF, which can be opened in word and even with notepad.
if you want to save word as PDF, download cutepdf. it's dead good.

Is there any limit to the number of scripts one person can submit?

I'm possibly going to regret this, but not definitively. A scattergun approach isn't necessarily the best one to adopt - and if we don't like the first one we read, it's unlikely to do you any favours when it comes to reading the others - so it's better to concentrate your efforts on one great script than spread your work between several.

Realisticially we don't want to stop people who have two genuinely great ideas and they can't choose between the two, what we don't want is to be bombarded with everybody's complete back catalogues. If people start to take the piss, a limit's going to be introduced like a shot.

Also, only one of a writer's scripts will be picked for the live shows, so there's no numbers benefit doing it as far as exposure is concerned.

As far as 'Stageability' goes, are things like tables and chairs or other furniture allowed? If not that's not really a problem.

If we send something in, which we are very likely to do, how are we supposed to lay out the setting, because most of the videos I have watched had one location and two characters sitting down.

There is a limited amount of furniture (tables/chairs) available for use, but the less you worry about the better - your director will make best use of the space, if the action requires it. Also:

What is the criteria for the scripts? Ie. what if the first ten minutes switch between locations?

What the Trials has found in the past, is people will submit scripts with stage directions demanding people on fire or dancing walruses, or scene changes where a character goes from wearing traditional hawaiian dress to being in a full suit of armour in the space of a single blackout.

If your scenes can be readily constructed by your actors in scene changes using a couple of chairs and tables, you're okay to do whatever you please as far as locations are concerned. If you need a team of stage hands, Jim Henson's Muppet Workshop, or a world famous quick-change artist, you've gone too far!

Quote: Griff @ July 10 2009, 10:00 AM BST

But Marc, you've been assured that there's nothing to worry about?

I don't know. Maybe I'm a natural worrier.
Just sign it and sort the details out later is your advice?

I just don't rate Final Draft that much. It was very buggy when I used it.

Currently using Zhura.com. It's an online based program of the free version. But it does let you export your scripts to PDF and TXT files, which I've find quite useful. The layout it great and it comes with a community to share your stuff and get feedback.

It's not the best one. But I'm happy using it for the moment. Especially seeing as I switch between PC and laptop a lot. I always have access to the latest draft of my projects. (If I can get on the 'net ;))

Quote: Leevil @ July 10 2009, 10:58 AM BST

I just don't rate Final Draft that much. It was very buggy when I used it.

Currently using Zhura.com. It's an online based program of the free version. But it does let you export your scripts to PDF and TXT files, which I've find quite useful. The layout it great and it comes with a community to share your stuff and get feedback.

It's not the best one. But I'm happy using it for the moment. Especially seeing as I switch between PC and laptop a lot. I always have access to the latest draft of my projects. (If I can get on the 'net ;))

That site is like withcraft. I enter a piss poorly pageset Sootyj special and it comes out looking professional. All it needs is coffee stains and angry cross throughs by enraged actors.

There's Celtx too, which also has export to PDF. Although in recent months that program has changed a lot. I'm not sure if it's as efficient as it used to be, with the new pay service for hosting scripts.

But it's a neat and tidy free program to use off line. Plus there's still another free option to host your scripts on line.

Quote: Griff @ July 10 2009, 10:49 AM BST

I wouldn't even bother asking for the details. They're probably, like, boring. Just sign it and forget about it.

Maybe just a couple?

:|

Quote: Marc P @ July 10 2009, 11:05 AM BST

Maybe just a couple?

:|

None! Now hand over your wallet and wife!