British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 16

Quote: Shpadoinkle @ August 28 2009, 3:30 PM BST

Is there any specific programme the script should be written on?

Eastenders.

Quote: Shpadoinkle @ August 28 2009, 3:30 PM BST

Is there any specific programme the script should be written on?

I'll answer for him. No, just concentrate on the quality of the material. PDF is most preferred, but most common formats are ok too.

Do I get extra points? :D

Quote: J'Parker @ August 28 2009, 12:13 PM BST

Of everything, I'm surprised this is the thing that people here have had the biggest problem with (option cause not withstanding), as my recollection of the scripts in last year's competition was that the majority had a nice natural break about three-quarters of the way through anyway or could be adapted very easily. But hey, you live and learn.

But why waste something with a finish that only has a one in five chance of being seen?

*throws away script in anger and starts again*

Quote: J'Parker @ August 28 2009, 12:13 PM BST

Of everything, I'm surprised this is the thing that people here have had the biggest problem with (option cause not withstanding)

Well is it acceptable not to tell people what the details of an option is in a competition until the last minute when you have them over a barrel! I for one don't think it's good to let people put time effort hope and energy in to something - and at last moment say you could be a winner or staged in front of industry professionals but we will not stage your thing unless you now agree to these things you didn't know hitherto.

Is it just me or am I talking with mashed potatoes in my mouth. Because it sure seems that way y'all.

So who on here has written their script? We're just putting the finishing touches to our entry. It's worth the time and effort to have a go at this kind of thing, although I think our idea would be better suited to TV format at the moment.

How many pages has everyone written? We've got thirteen so far.

Quote: Adam Blaize @ August 28 2009, 11:39 PM BST

So who on here has written their script? We're just putting the finishing touches to our entry. It's worth the time and effort to have a go at this kind of thing, although I think our idea would be better suited to TV format at the moment.

How many pages has everyone written? We've got thirteen so far.

Isn't that about all you need?

I started working on a new one tonight.

Isn't what all you need?

Quote: Adam Blaize @ August 28 2009, 11:47 PM BST

Isn't what all you need?

About 13 pages. Average 1 page a minute. 10 minutes then 2-3 minute payoff.

Oh ok. That's what we have then. Little bit unsure about our direction and how we will work it. We journey in and out of the writers mind in places. So maybe we'll suggest a revolving stage if we are successful

Quote: Adam Blaize @ August 29 2009, 12:00 AM BST

Oh ok. That's what we have then. Little bit unsure about our direction and how we will work it. We journey in and out of the writers mind in places. So maybe we'll suggest a revolving stage if we are successful

Ha ha ha.

You have read the brief I take it.

What do you mean, read the brief? It's stage isn't it, so we've kept it minimilistic, except that for one scene, we have to see what the characters are imagining, if that makes sense?

Quote: Adam Blaize @ August 29 2009, 12:04 AM BST

What do you mean, read the brief? It's stage isn't it, so we've kept it minimilistic, except that for one scene, we have to see what the characters are imagining, if that makes sense?

And how exactly do you propose doing that?

Well it would involve the same actors, but they'd be playing different characters, and then it would just involve using a couple of prop changes. Is yours all in one setting?

I'm just wondering how easy it would be to stage. Maybe with costume changes it could work.