British Comedy Guide

The Football Commentators

Inspired whilst watching the Footy last night. This seems like a really obvious idea so I'm sure someone must have done it before. And hopefully there isn't an ex-England football player called Jimmy Gordon!

EXT. COMMENTATOR'S BOX AT WEMBLEY STADIUM.

ALAN
It's a beautiful day here at Wembley. As the players are warming up, I'm just scanning the crowd. And.. Is that Sir Jimmy Gordon? Former England left back.

RON
It certainly is Alan. A fantastic player in his day. 47 Caps for England.

ALAN
And who's the pretty blonde girl he's with Ron? Is that his daughter?

RON
No Alan, I believe she's a high class Prostitute.

ALAN
Oh! (Nervous laugh) I uh, hope his wife isn't watching today. I suppose you could say we've caught him playing an away game.

RON
Yes, I suppose you could. A real character though is Sir Jimmy. I remember back in the old West Ham days, he would get high on Cocaine and sleep with a different Lady-Boy every night.

ALAN
Well let's spare Sir Jimmy's wife the full details of his, uh, experimental days and instead re-focus on today and Capello's 4-4-2 experiment.

RON
Oops! My mistake Alan. That actually is Sir Jimmy's Daughter.

ALAN
Right, well we've sort of dug a little hole for ourselves here Ron. I'd like to apologise to Sir Jimmy and his family for that slight mix up there.

RON
Yep. I hold my hands up on this one. Completely my fault. I just didn't recognise Sir Jimmy's daughter with her clothes on.

ALAN
You can stop digging now Ron.

RON
I wish I could.

Very good ShoePie!

Excellent sketch from start to finish. Nice tone.

You obviously weren't watching the Scotland game - they were digging themselves a grave.

Any chance you can return the feedback, would be much appreciated. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/12357

Thanks for sharing,
Craig

Cheers. And no I was barely watching the England game instead.

Quote: Craig Hosie @ April 2 2009, 11:22 AM BST

Any chance you can return the feedback, would be much appreciated.

And done.

Probably has been done before but I like it, well done :)

Nice one Shoepie!

I assume the "Ron" is based around Ron Atkinson. Wasn't he drummed out of TV because he said something derogatory believing he was off air when he was on air?

Quote: Geoff Mutton @ April 2 2009, 3:10 PM BST

Nice one Shoepie!

I assume the "Ron" is based around Ron Atkinson. Wasn't he drummed out of TV because he said something derogatory believing he was off air when he was on air?

Thanks Geoff. I just picked an old school footbally type name and only really made the connection towards the end as I don't know a great deal about Football. Fast show had a Ron Football Manager too I believe.