British Comedy Guide

Sending your Scripts Page 2

Quote: Seefacts @ March 14 2009, 10:37 PM GMT

Lee, was it you who said they'd not sent a hard copy for donkey's years?

Probably, because I haven't. Nobody in TV wants hard copies anymore except the BBC Writers Room. They must have a really antiquated filing system there involving dusty Victorian writing bureaus and 8-year-old sooty-faced orphan chimney sweeps who read sitcom scripts part-time for an extra ladleful of gruel.

Quote: Anna May @ March 15 2009, 2:27 AM GMT

Why describe your boss as a lesbian ? Substitute homosexual and guess what ? It's STILL offensive. Maybe your problem getting commissioned has got more to do with your communication skills than printer ink/paper shortage.

Laughing out loud

F**k me. :D

I'm getting really close to sending my script off, for the first time. By the way, did someone on here recently say it was better to first try sending your script to the BBC, rather than to Production Companies?

Quote: catskillz @ March 15 2009, 3:25 AM GMT

I'm getting really close to sending my script off, for the first time. By the way, did someone on here recently say it was better to first try sending your script to the BBC, rather than to Production Companies?

Yes, if you want it returned to you in 3-5 months in pristine condition.

I read a fair amount of scripts, I used to read a lot more but... it is far easier to read a hard copy of a script - especially if you have to give feedback on it, you can make notes on it etc and go through those as you are writing feedback. So in terms of unsolicited commisions the bbc get thousands and thousands of scripts. So there has to be a filtering process. Before they get to the ten page process they filter out those who can't be arsed to print out a copy in the first place which seems fair enough to me. Secondly who pays for the tens of thousand scripts to be printed out if the BBC did accept email submissions at the Writers Room. You and I do,first through the license fee and secondly by the budget that the WR have to develop writers being cut proportionately. Also imagine how many tens of thousand more scripts would be submitted because you can just push a button on your computer and send.

Commisioned scripts or requested scripts are different, because the numbers are hugely less or are part of the production process and factored in - where everyone in TV works on hard copies.

The big gap on the left hand side of a TV script is there for writing notes on.

There is evidence of hard copy everywhere. :) Hard evidence!

And Anna makes a fair point.

Quote: catskillz @ March 15 2009, 3:25 AM GMT

No,it isn't. Send to the prods.

Arghhhhhhhh!!! I hate the fact that I'm totally new to all this.

yeah thanks for your help all you lovely people

Quote: Anna May @ March 15 2009, 2:27 AM GMT

Why describe your boss as a lesbian ? Substitute homosexual and guess what ? It's STILL offensive. Maybe your problem getting commissioned has got more to do with your communication skills than printer ink/paper shortage.

and to you, I really don't understand your sort, so what I said something offensive. Do you know what im offended by? People like you who run around trying to stop every one being so offensive. I find it offensive. If it wasnt for the offensive I seriously would be bored and I suspect you would be too. I didnt call her a minge licking bushy plate eating ugly excuse for men not fancying her turn to women as a get out c**t did i. I called her a lesbian, So the hell what. I quite like lesbians. I used to watch one on the telly once.

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 16 2009, 1:10 PM GMT

didnt call her a minge licking bushy plate eating ugly excuse for men not fancying her turn to women as a get out c**t did i.

Indeed you did not, and you should be commended for your restraint.

Well done, you.

PS: I've got piles of paper and ink. Hurts like hell, but I can write while juggling.

It's really nice to be in a place with fellow creative types, all striving to do the best work we can and supporting each other! Here's
Sartre come to join us, and look Camus and the lovely Simone. And our English colleagues Virginnia Wolfe and EM Forster, oh how we miss dear, dear departed Oscar.

:)

Quote: Marc P @ March 16 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

And our English colleagues Virginnia Wolfe and EM Forster, oh how we miss dear, dear departed Oscar.

:)

What that hairy gay boy?

Was he big in reprographics too then?

This level of humour is getting far to sophisticated for me to understand now

I shall let my father have a look at these posts, he watches 'have I got news for you'. He will understand

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 16 2009, 6:17 PM GMT

This level of humour is getting far to sophisticated for me to understand now

I shall let my father have a look at these posts, he watches 'have I got news for you'. He will understand

I doubt it.

:D

Quote: Marc P @ March 16 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

It's really nice to be in a place with fellow creative types, all striving to do the best work we can and supporting each other! Here's
Sartre come to join us, and look Camus and the lovely Simone.

You know I hate it when you call me that.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 16 2009, 2:33 PM GMT

What that hairy gay boy?

Much better.

Quote: Marc P @ March 15 2009, 9:15 AM GMT

I read a fair amount of scripts, I used to read a lot more but... it is far easier to read a hard copy of a script - especially if you have to give feedback on it, you can make notes on it etc and go through those as you are writing feedback. So in terms of unsolicited commisions the bbc get thousands and thousands of scripts. So there has to be a filtering process. Before they get to the ten page process they filter out those who can't be arsed to print out a copy in the first place which seems fair enough to me. Secondly who pays for the tens of thousand scripts to be printed out if the BBC did accept email submissions at the Writers Room. You and I do,first through the license fee and secondly by the budget that the WR have to develop writers being cut proportionately. Also imagine how many tens of thousand more scripts would be submitted because you can just push a button on your computer and send.

Commisioned scripts or requested scripts are different, because the numbers are hugely less or are part of the production process and factored in - where everyone in TV works on hard copies.

The big gap on the left hand side of a TV script is there for writing notes on.

There is evidence of hard copy everywhere. :) Hard evidence!

And Anna makes a fair point.

I agree with all of this, except the shameless plug for "Hard Evidence" by Mark Pearson, available in all good book stores.