British Comedy Guide

Sending your Scripts

Its a bloody costly bussiness. The thing that annoys me is that BBC are always harping on about the environment and global warming and we all need to do our bit. BBC writers room get 10000 scripts a year. Yet they refuse to accept email submissions. Now 10000 scripts is a lot of trees. Why can't they set their bloody writers room up in a way where the submissions could be read via email. it makes so much more sense. Its not just the bbc, its everywhere. Im a poor writer and I have a family to support, what hope have I got, sending out a sit com. I just can't afford the amount of ink that is needed to get my work out there.

Can any of you help me? What production companys, publishers, and such accept scripts via email.

Thanks.

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 14 2009, 10:56 AM GMT

Its a bloody costly bussiness. The thing that annoys me is that BBC are always harping on about the environment and global warming and we all need to do our bit. BBC writers room get 10000 scripts a year. Yet they refuse to accept email submissions. Now 10000 scripts is a lot of trees. Why can't they set their bloody writers room up in a way where the submissions could be read via email. it makes so much more sense. Its not just the bbc, its everywhere. Im a poor writer and I have a family to support, what hope have I got, sending out a sit com. I just can't afford the amount of ink that is needed to get my work out there.

Can any of you help me? What production companys, publishers, and such accept scripts via email.

Thanks.

Most prod cos in accept email submissions my experience - the BBC is rather unorthodox in that regard.

If you really can't afford the cost of paper printing why not get a job in an office with a photocopier? Works for me.

i already have one and the photo copier is guarded

Quote: Henry Thurston @ March 14 2009, 11:37 AM GMT

i already have one and the photo copier is guarded

Guarded? What, by a man with a truncheon?

Quote: David Bussell @ March 14 2009, 11:59 AM GMT

Guarded? What, by a man with a truncheon?

No by a lesbian with hairs in her ears. Bitch woman. Shes my supervisor and the photo copier is next to her desk.

Get a better sales job Henry, or get better at that one and earn more commission. There was an excellent telephone sales tape called 'Selling on the Telephone' I can reccommend from MST.

:)

Henry, yes it's a pain in the arse the Writers Room ask for hard copies, and I don't really understand why they've not moved with the times. Surely it'd be so much easy to index and track everything on a computer for goodness' sake.

But I have to say your argument of being too skint to print a script off doesn't really bode well for your commitment to a writing career. It'll cost you about a fiver for paper, ink, postage, the lot. And you never know, it could change your life.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 14 2009, 10:33 PM GMT

Henry, yes it's a pain in the arse the Writers Room ask for hard copies, and I don't really understand why they've not moved with the times. Surely it'd be so much easy to index and track everything on a computer for goodness' sake.

But I have to say your argument of being too skint to print a script off doesn't really bode well for your commitment to a writing career. It'll cost you about a fiver for paper, ink, postage, the lot. And you never know, it could change your life.

Lee, was it you who said they'd not sent a hard copy for donkey's years?

Quote: Seefacts @ March 14 2009, 10:37 PM GMT

Lee, was it you who said they'd not sent a hard copy for donkey's years?

I certainly haven't for a couple of years now, once you get to a certain point you probably find you have a nice list of people who you can just e-mail stuff to direct.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 14 2009, 10:39 PM GMT

I certainly haven't for a couple of years now, once you get to a certain point you probably find you have a nice list of people who you can just e-mail stuff to direct.

Maybe it was you who said it then.

But yeah, you're right. I don't about you, but I'm so glad I'm not starting out now.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 14 2009, 10:41 PM GMT

Maybe it was you who said it then.

But yeah, you're right. I don't about you, but I'm so glad I'm not starting out now.

Why so?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 14 2009, 10:47 PM GMT

Why so?

Ahh, the whole not knowing how things work and having to send hard copies to people and then playing the waiting game.

The anguish and the uncertainty. I'm obviously hardly up the ladder in real terms, but I'm just glad I don't have to send arse-kissing letters to people begging for them to read my stuff anymore.

Thems were the days.

Ah, right. Agreed.

Anyone actually had a series made by sending it email?

Why describe your boss as a lesbian ? Substitute homosexual and guess what ? It's STILL offensive. Maybe your problem getting commissioned has got more to do with your communication skills than printer ink/paper shortage.