British Comedy Guide

NEWBIES - some advice Page 4

I must say I'm impressed that people write more than one episode, my general approach is to write the best pilot that I can, send it off to as many people that I can. Then start the whole process again, the thought never occured that someone might actually like something I have written.I nearly had a heart attack when I opened a letter from writers room the other day( It has a new format to it). I only stopped hyperventilating after a glass of cold water, then relaxed even more when I realised it was a rejection letter.If I actualy got a letter saying that they liked it and wanted to take it further, I would be dead of a heart attack before my head hit the floor.

So if any of you reach the hieghts required, to give the yes or no, to wannabe writers like myself just remember, you don't want to have a death on your hands so break any news, bad or even good, very gently.

J26

Superb advice. I'm new to this forum so I'm still finding time to filter through the posts.

Just want to say thanks.

Ed

Hi Guys..

Newbie here. Great site and you guys offer great support and advice. I have written a pilot of a sit com that could go on for some time due to the nature of its content. It also has the chance of a one off spin off concentrating on one particular character. It even has an accidental catch phrase.

My question to you lovely people is, how good is the writers room? Also, I have got a well known couple of names from TV interested in reading my script and sent it to them. One of them has said if it was of interest in her she has a pal who is head of a large indie production company. From all of your experience is that a good position to be in? Or does it not matter who approaches the production company?

Many thanks guys in advance for your reply.

D ;-)

I have an exisiting relationship with a production company from a previous pilot I wrote for them which ended up going no where (no £££ was involved in the writing of this first pilot). I sent them an episode of another idea I had and they seemed to really like it. They got me in to go through it suggesting changes. I've now submitted draft 2 (actually it's my draft 14 or something).

I have been writing episode 2 to kind of show them that the first episode they liked wasn't a fluke.

Is that a bad idea? After reading this thread, I'll probably stop at 2 episodes (even though I want to write the whole ruddy series - mainly to go back through each ep and have them connected in different ways)

Hi Greensville,

Not a bad idea writing a second episode if you feel like you want to prove to yourself that you can do it, but would it not be worth your time and effort to work on a fresh idea whilst you see what comes of the pilot you've submitted?

If they like the pilot you've sent them and want to develop it, then the next stage will be getting round a table and talking about, not only the pilot script as it, but the whole concept of the show. They'll want to go through what might be changed about the characters, the setting etc. If they're going to consider taking it to a network then you'll be doing at least one more re-draft of the pilot until everyone is happy. I know you say you've already written new drafts based on their notes, but realistically there will be more. (And once a network commissioner gets involved, even more.)

The time-scale of these things can seem horrendously slow, so it might be better just working on a fresh idea, something new to show people. From my own experience, I wasted a good number of months worrying and waiting over a show in development, which I have been paid for and is still "active". But with all the excitement of getting my first break I wasted a lot of time that I could have better spent on writing new stuff.

Best of luck with it, anyway. ;)

Quote: dinglyd @ November 8 2009, 7:24 PM GMT

My question to you lovely people is, how good is the writers room? Also, I have got a well known couple of names from TV interested in reading my script and sent it to them. One of them has said if it was of interest in her she has a pal who is head of a large indie production company. From all of your experience is that a good position to be in? Or does it not matter who approaches the production company?

Hi there, Dinglyd,

If you have potential contacts in the industry, then definitely use them. As long as you're never pushy and don't over-step the boundaries of friendship and favours etc, then you've got to use every string to your bow. It's amazing how one contact can lead to another.

In terms of who approaches a production company with your script then, so long as the person who's doing you the favour is on good terms with the company themselves, you should be fine. If they are using your script as a get-in for their own projects/purposes then be wary - you wouldn't want to get frowned upon by association. Generally though, go for it, if your script's good then it will get noticed.

BBC Writersroom is no bad place to send a script, especially when you're starting out. Expect a long wait for a response and don't take it personally if you don't get any kind of detailed feedback. They are far too busy, receiving so many scripts, as to be able to give quality feedback to all of them. I've personally only ever sent them one script, which they didn't like particularly. That same script got me a meeting with a top comedy producer. Doesn't mean that Writersroom don't know what they're doing, just that comedy especially is very subjective. But for the sake of someone else to read it, you might as well send them a copy.

I'd be wary of mentioning any "spin-off" show from your idea as it stands. That's rather getting ahead of yourself! Just concentrate on that first pilot script, getting the idea of what the show is about in your head (so as to be able to communicate your vision) and possibly some ideas for what you see happening in future episodes. I also wouldn't claim to have a show that can run forever. Even if this is true, that kind of talk will reek of a) arrogance and b) naivety. The first hurdle is always to get on the road to a pilot, that should be enough to concentrate on for now.

Best of luck with your project. ;)

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Really appreciate your advice and info. Will keep my fingers crossed, and keep you posted.

Take care

D ;-)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 9 2009, 12:38 AM GMT

Hi Greensville,

Not a bad idea writing a second episode if you feel like you want to prove to yourself that you can do it, but would it not be worth your time and effort to work on a fresh idea whilst you see what comes of the pilot you've submitted?

If they like the pilot you've sent them and want to develop it, then the next stage will be getting round a table and talking about, not only the pilot script as it, but the whole concept of the show. They'll want to go through what might be changed about the characters, the setting etc. If they're going to consider taking it to a network then you'll be doing at least one more re-draft of the pilot until everyone is happy. I know you say you've already written new drafts based on their notes, but realistically there will be more. (And once a network commissioner gets involved, even more.)

The time-scale of these things can seem horrendously slow, so it might be better just working on a fresh idea, something new to show people. From my own experience, I wasted a good number of months worrying and waiting over a show in development, which I have been paid for and is still "active". But with all the excitement of getting my first break I wasted a lot of time that I could have better spent on writing new stuff.

Best of luck with it, anyway. ;)

Thanks for the advice Tim Walker! I'll probably just finish ep 2 and start looking at some of my other stuff.

Then I guess it's just a case of waiting for the production company to get back to you. I may leave it a couple of weeks and try and come up with a vaguely convincing reason for rattling their cage ('Oh I found a pen on the tube and wondered if it was yours? By the way, any news on my sitcom?')

I'm quite pro-active about writing and making my own stuff so will probably focus on that.

I know exactly what people mean when they get totally obsessed with one idea. I'm the same!

Thanks again Tim Walker!

Pleasure. And just 'Tim' will do nicely, thanks. ;)