British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 71

How very odd... I'm on the list of writers for Newsjack 5 but when I left work at five there was nothing...goes to show they're taking it to the wire with the emails. Am sat here wondering what it is now as can't access work inbox to find out!

Congrats Aldrin! (My confirmation email was at 1854 by the way)

Argghhhhhh. I can't seem to crack this one. Ah well.
Next week (the final week) hopefully.

Quote: Dave M @ July 16 2009, 7:08 PM BST

The list of this week's writers is up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lncmv

Down to 20 writers this week, the fewest yet, and all but a handful of those have credits from previous weeks. It is getting tougher and tougher to crack...

Bonkers. Had no email at five when I left work but am on the credits for tonight. Wonder what one it is? Can't access work inbox so this should make later exciting..!

"Thanks to all of those who submitted material to Newsjack this week. The final episode of the series is next week so please keep your submissions coming."

Why, Newsjack, WHY? Come on now - do you really still want us sending in submissions? I like these little messages they give us. If they sent me a personalised thank you card I'd be happier. With a fiver in it. Yeah, then I'd be happy.

Right, I'm switching off the computer now - will listen to tonights show tomorrow. I'm not in the mood for it tonight.

Chris

PS. Congrats to everyone who did get on, at least some of us are doing something right!

Has to be said, thought it was awful tonight. The Bourne line was the best thing in it.

Quote: ForzaCarra @ July 16 2009, 10:58 PM BST

"Thanks to all of those who submitted material to Newsjack this week. The final episode of the series is next week so please keep your submissions coming."

Why, Newsjack, WHY? Come on now - do you really still want us sending in submissions? I like these little messages they give us. If they sent me a personalised thank you card I'd be happier. With a fiver in it. Yeah, then I'd be happy.

Right, I'm switching off the computer now - will listen to tonights show tomorrow. I'm not in the mood for it tonight.

Chris

PS. Congrats to everyone who did get on, at least some of us are doing something right!

Believe me, Chris, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've been in for every round too and not had even a snifter. Every week, you go through the same process and you think, "Hey, I can almost hear that being performed and people might even titter." And then, nothing.

I think that the Tetsell article is interesting - I tend to agree with you about the submissions thing, but from another angle. Say you did stop sending in submissions (I somehow doubt that you will); Tetsell would have been right about one thing. That the day-to-day of writers who want to make a living is ultimately one rejection after another until, at the death, a commission. Like it or lump it, we all just have to deal with it. And those that can't will give up.

So I'll be sad. I'll be morose and grumpy. I may have another long walk around the block around dusk and curse the fact that I can't be funny enough to find an audience. Tomorrow, I'll start to scan the internet, look through the papers and try and find some way of making wind farms funny without resorting to fart gags.

C'MON MATE! LET's GO! ONE MORE TIME!!

:)

having read the list of writers I am now curious as to who is in the newsjack writing team. Obviously Dan Tetsell is also I recognised Luke Roberts from Spats, I'm guessing he is one of the team.

Well, this chap for a start

http://www.garethgwynn.co.uk/biog/

:( Extra pissy that, on listening to the rest of the show this morning, someone got in with a BA budget sketch that was UNBELIEVABLY similar to one that I, and presumably 200 others, wrote two weeks back.

Like I said, Chris, I just have to deal with it.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 17 2009, 12:48 AM BST

having read the list of writers I am now curious as to who is in the newsjack writing team. Obviously Dan Tetsell is also I recognised Luke Roberts from Spats, I'm guessing he is one of the team.

Matthew Morton and Rebecca Hobbs are both Sketch Factor/RFTP tpyes.

Eddie Robson's a radio regular as well, he wrote on Broken Arts. (Don't know whether he was commissioned or non-comm.) And Robin Bailes is a Newsrevue writer.

Quote: Griff @ July 17 2009, 10:07 AM BST

Eddie Robson's a radio regular as well, he wrote on Broken Arts. (Don't know whether he was commissioned or non-comm.) And Robin Bailes is a Newsrevue writer.

Eddie Robson's written some Doctor Who's for the Big Finish people, I believe.

Newsjack have allocated space for new voices. If you put yourself in the shoes of a script editor – that's a massive undertaking. They have voluntarily given themselves extra workload. Without wishing to sound brown-nosey (but this is anonymous after all) I think Newsjack has been a shining example. And considering the number of hits from BCG regulars, I think we should all be encouraged. In the past I've had my arse kicked for running down the BBC, but if opportunities like this continue I'll bend over and apologise. It's the immediacy I like. Immediate ideas. Immediate rejections. Immediate try again. More please.