British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 55

What I mean by safe, is that it's not like a show where you laugh because you can't believe someone said a particular thing. It doesn't make me laugh and then think about what I was laughing at. But obviously, this is the thing, different senses of humour. It's great that people get the chances to write for mainstream radio shows.

I wrote a sketch called Love Thy Robot, which was a satire on Love Thy Neighbour and those kind of seventies shows, but with Robots moving next door. It was after the BNP fiasco. It was a reaction to say, racism still exists. But it was written to laugh at how rediculous the act of racism is. The surrealism came from the robots. If that makes sense? So it was the most topical thing I think I'd written for a long time.

I've found bits of it quite funny. The 'Teach a Man to Fish...' sketch in episode 1 was one of the best radio sketches I've ever heard.

That said, even Blunder had that one good sketch (with David Mitchell) and that was it!

If you want to be a comedy writer, surely you have to adapt to the brief/style of the show? I might be wrong and you might not want to be a writer, just doing Newsjack for fun. None of my sketches have been on (just the one Vox Pop) but I think they may have a list of stuff they want to cover and your sketch has to be effing brilliant to get in if you've not hit one of the stories they want.

Or our stuff might just not be good enough. There is always that possibility!

Dan

No, I understand what you're saying. I know the struggles of trying to get material and stuff out there. It's hard but I enjoy it, but sometimes it's frustrating. Still, you plod on and keep going.

I have just finished Uni where I did script writing as part of my course. I know I can do this, but it is probably a case of changing style to suit a show, and sometimes, it's not that easy to chance a style you've adapted to. Comedy isn't just one thing is it

It's a battle, but I think it always will be. First find some script reader who likes your stuff, than a producer, then a commissioner, then a channel controller. However, these people are easier to find if you get a name as 'adaptable' (I don't mean just literally change your name!)

At lot of the professionals know what other people will find funny. They might not find it particularly funny themselves, but they can write to that style, in that way. I think, personally, I'm getting better (you start to spot the 'rhythm' of comedy, ie where a joke should be, too many words/too few words, etc, etc) but it takes practice and, even for the very good writers, there seems to be much more rejection than acceptance!

Dan

I just wanted to say that I also loved the MJ Glove joke. Really original.

I think the standard of the show is really very good. I've followed a lot of sketch shows, and this is by far the best where open submissions are used. Much better in terms of feel than RFTP. Having listened to the first episode of the returning Now Show, it struck me how much freedom Punt, Dennis et al have on that show - they literally just say what they think - whereas we have to squeeze and force news items into a new and almost unrecognisable shape.

Two sketches written today and sent off. I'm leaving one in the canon for over the weekend, depending on who wins! :D

Quote: The Producer @ July 3 2009, 12:43 PM BST

To be fair to Aldrin, this was actually very topical as the Hawkins summer camp was covered by the papers early this week. Probably my favourite up-to-the-minute topical sketch so far - all my other favourites sketches (including Griff's) have been the zeitgeist-y ones

Sorry you're right, I had meant to go back and correct my post - I'd missed that story. It wasn't a criticism though - I was just saying there were few (maybe none!) that weren't based on the week's news.

I enjoyed it more when listening to the radio (compared to live). I'm trying not to take the whole thing too seriously - we don't know how many sketches they get or which stories in particular they might favour for a start. But I think it's natural when you work hard on sketches and think they're funny and send them in and they're not used, to be a little over critical of others. Ok it's just me. Sorry!

I'm still finding it good fun having a go at sketches each week though - and as Dan says it's good practice trying to match the tone of a show. Hopefully my sketches by the end will be better than they were three weeks ago (even if I'm still only amusing myself by then).

re Vox Pops mine was the one about fishing the Queen out of the palace fountain.

Oh and I was pleased Miles got his 'two ball screwball' line in - rather than Calippos or Magnums.

:)

Quote: Adam Blaize @ July 3 2009, 2:37 PM BST

What I mean by safe, is that it's not like a show where you laugh because you can't believe someone said a particular thing. It doesn't make me laugh and then think about what I was laughing at. But obviously, this is the thing, different senses of humour. It's great that people get the chances to write for mainstream radio shows.

Shock humour is pretty mainstream these days; it has been reined in a bit recently because of the Wossie fiasco, which is perhaps no bad thing as it was becoming a bit tiresome, but a good sharp intake of breath gag will still get through - witness Badge's Thatcher line.

Cheers for the plug Timbo.

This week mine was the BBC repeats vox pop. Pleased to hear it cos I thought it was 50:50 to get axed after recording.

Buzzing with ideas for next week now. Good luck all!

Finally got round to listening to this week's edition. Well done to all who got stuff on. I thought Griff's Yoda sketch was a particular highlight.

Cheers, Timbo!

Well done to everyone who's managed to get stuff on 'Newsjack' so far. I'm going to have a go this week.

Just listened (My delay was caused with being away at my sister's wedding and nothing to do with not getting any material on this week. Well maybe a teeny tiny bit...)and well done to Aldrin, swertyd, Jane P, Badge and Lbug. Griff and The Producer I thought the Yoda sketch and MJ Glove were two of the best bits of writing of the series so far. Great work.

Quote: Dave M @ July 5 2009, 5:41 PM BST

Just listened (My delay was caused with being away at my sister's wedding and nothing to do with not getting any material on this week. Well maybe a teeny tiny bit...)and well done to Aldrin, swertyd, Jane P, Badge and Lbug. Griff and The Producer I thought the Yoda sketch and MJ Glove were two of the best bits of writing of the series so far. Great work.

Thanks (and to biddyhell) - much appreciated!

Yep, cheers Dave!

Actually, I think it's better to just remove that post altogether.