British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 54

Ta. Mine was the Baggage problems at Terminal 5 one.

Dan

The writers' list is up now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lh3hs

I haven't listened to the show yet as I was in London last night, but will catch it later on iPlayer.

Shame they didn't use my Street Crime sketch as it was exactly what they wanted to the tee, according to Katie's feedback and notes to me last week.

I can only assume it was because it was more generic, rather than tied to a particular news story.

Quote: Jane P @ July 2 2009, 5:56 PM BST

Hi Aldrin and welcome

I meant to mention yours as it was one of the few that was less topical but it still worked. Lewis had to redo some of the singing - you didn't make it easy for him did you?

Good fun though!

Jx

To be fair to Aldrin, this was actually very topical as the Hawkins summer camp was covered by the papers early this week. Probably my favourite up-to-the-minute topical sketch so far - all my other favourites sketches (including Griff's) have been the zeitgeist-y ones

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 3 2009, 10:27 AM BST

Well done folks. :)

Who wrote what?

Mine was the Jackson glove vox pop. May have had one or two others recorded, but if so they didn't make the cut.

Loved the Jacko railing glove gag! Yeah the times did the story on the Dawkins camps, that was my one. Lewis did it so well, it was mega science wordy so he was amazing. Might post a link over at richarddawkins.net. See if they find it funny.

To be fair to NJ, my sketch (faith schools) was "zeitgeisty" when I sent it in, but "topical" when they used it because the news story about the JFS School broke during the week. That was part of the reason they asked for a rewrite, to fit in more with the story. So, bad news for the JFS school, but good news for me.

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum, and it may not be the place to mention this. But does anyone else think that newsjack isn't actually very good?

Declaration of Disinterest - I haven't submitted anyting, and don't now intend to. I listened to the first few episodes to try to get the measure of the series but as I just didn't find funny the prospect of setting out to write stuff I didn't find funny didn't appeal.

I don't mean this as any kind of insult to the people here, most of whom seem have had Vox Pops and corrections done, which are by far the best bits of the show. The sketches, however, are fairly grim.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 3 2009, 12:24 PM BST

I can only assume it was because it was more generic, rather than tied to a particular news story.

Or they, personally, thought the material they did use was better . . ?

I'm finding NewsJack a little bit confusing. I still don't think it's found it's feet and although it's supposed to be satirical, it feels safe to me. And yes, I am aware that I am constantly sending them stuff, to which they don't broadcast. I'm determined but with them now being half way through the series, I think they've decided what style they like; they're likely to continue doing what they've been doing.

I'm not hopeful but I keep on pushing them. I'm not normally a satirical writer but I think what I've written has been good, although probably not safe enough for this particular show. I thought last nights show was alright, from what I heard.

Why doesn't BBC Radio 7 just do a comedy sketch show for all kinds of comedy writers, instead of having to stick to satire?

Or they, personally, thought the material they did use was better . . ?

There's that, yes. :)

To be fair to NJ, my sketch (faith schools) was "zeitgeisty" when I sent it in, but "topical" when they used it because the news story about the JFS School broke during the week. That was part of the reason they asked for a rewrite, to fit in more with the story. So, bad news for the JFS school, but good news for me.

Ah, I see. :)
Ah well, it's a learning curve. Next week I'll connect my stuff to breaking news or maybe do a few vox pops or corrections.

****EDIT *** spelling errors!

Quote: Adam Blaize @ July 3 2009, 2:06 PM BST

Why doesn't BBC Radio 7 just do a comedy sketch show for all kinds of comedy writers, instead of having to stick to satire?

Recorded For Training Purposes was an open-submission show with a non-topical brief. Hopefully that'll be coming round again sometime later this year.

The closest I got to them using one of my sketches was in the first episode and then apparently, it wasn't topical enough. I'm beginning to think that my style doesn't match their style. But without feedback, it just becomes a kind of battle of wills between myself and Newsjack.

I tried to mix surrealism and dry humour; this time with topical satire.

Quote: Adam Blaize @ July 3 2009, 2:06 PM BST

I still don't think it's found it's feet and although it's supposed to be satirical, it feels safe to me.

Iam not sure what you mean by safe in this context. Are you referring to taste or style? Waht sort of material are you submitting?

I think Newsjack is more satirical than surrealism.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 3 2009, 2:16 PM BST

I think Newsjack is more satirical than surrealism.

Stark realism?

Writing 'Tilt' style takes (e.g a pigeon's opinion on Michael Jackson) on the news were more my thing.