British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 44

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 26 2009, 8:57 AM BST

MILES: A Government Inquiry into the Iraq War, the BNP getting voted to Europe and MPs actually resigning when they are caught breaking the rules. Like most people, I thought pigs would fly before any of those happened. But then the Swine Flu...

I think that's ace, but then I've got nothing on so far, so obviously I have no taste...

Can you send to News Revue/Treason?

Dan

I don't think that's the sort of sketch they had in mind.

No luck again last night. How can a topical satire show turn down a sketch which starts like this?

MILES: A Government Inquiry into the Iraq War, the BNP getting voted to Europe and MPs actually resigning when they are caught breaking the rules. Like most people, I thought pigs would fly before any of those happened. But then the Swine Flu...

:D

Maybe just as well they didn't use my Michael Jackson sketch last night. :O

I don't think that's the sort of sketch they had in mind.

No luck again last night. How can a topical satire show turn down a sketch which starts like this?

That's ace and I shall be pretending I made it up all day.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 26 2009, 9:25 AM BST

Maybe just as well they didn't use my Michael Jackson sketch last night. :O

Has he been in the news again? Huh?

Btw I think the swine flu/pigs can fly gag has been done before!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 26 2009, 10:21 AM BST

Btw I think the swine flu/pigs can fly gag has been done before!

Damn, there's another evil genius out there? I must hunt him down and kill him with hammers.

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 26 2009, 11:45 AM BST

Damn, there's another evil genius out there? I must hunt him down and kill him with hammers.

Clarke Peters (Lester Freamon from The Wire) did the line on Sky News some weeks ago.

"They said if we ever had a black president..."

Or something.

Can I just say to Jane P and David M, you kicked my ass in the Sitcom Trials, you've now kicked my ass in Newsjack, so please, just stay the f**k away from my next job interview.

You want to get yourself one of those one-letter surnames, Griff!

Dan

Quote: Griff @ June 26 2009, 12:25 PM BST

Can I just say to Jane P and David M, you kicked my ass in the Sitcom Trials, you've now kicked my ass in Newsjack, so please, just stay the f**k away from my next job interview.

:D He says with his 4 day run of a show currently on!

I enjoyed everyone's contributions this week - the teacher sketch and the corrections Russell Brand/ Maggie Thatcher etc. Mine were the first two Vox Pops - it's hard to listen to your own stuff though isn't it? And wasn't the old style panel show the one someone here mentioned last week? Congrats all round.

I'm being greedy now but would love to get a sketch on by the end - or even a 'nearly there' email would be a start!

Jx

I am starting to feel a bit like a guy who likes a girl and after two e-mails without a reply should really take the hint. One more try I guess..

Quote: Stan Doubt @ June 26 2009, 3:22 PM BST

I am starting to feel a bit like a guy who likes a girl and after two e-mails without a reply should really take the hint. One more try I guess..

Don't worry, it will pay off at the end. I tried writing for all the episodes of Tilt and was constantly rejected, but I did manage to get a sketch on the last episode - so it pays to continue, work and improve your material.

Congratulations to everyone who has been successful so far. It's great to see more and more BCG members names cropping up in our master database with broadcast credits to their name (this will later in the year result in IMDb-style pages being setup for you).

To those of you that haven't yet been successful - don't give up. The producers can only fit so many sketches into 30 minutes, so if you haven't been successful yet, it might just be your week next week.

Tip: Go for the less well covered news stories. If you submit a Jacko sketch you're probably going to be up against 1000s of others this week, but other topics are likely to be less well contested.

Quote: Mark @ June 26 2009, 3:58 PM BST

Tip: Go for the less well covered news stories. If you submit a Jacko sketch you're probably going to be up against 1000s of others this week, but other topics are likely to be less well contested.

What other stories? I've had BBC News channel on for 7 hours and it's been nothing but a relentless stream of Jacko pontification.