British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 27

I always say go vacum funny, write a sketch that is funny in and of it's self then base it around any story that you introduce in the first line.

I've just decided to keep them short. Then if they get a killer sketch on the same subject as the one I've written they might still squeeze mine in, 'oooh er' and all that.

Well, I've just sent mine. I suspect they're complete rubbish but you've got to show willing, haven't you? :)

Dan

I have the same optimism level with mine (just sent). Good luck to all.

It is going to be a heartbreaking business, isn't it, sending these 18 sketches off. I already sent four into the pilot and scored nil so I could be looking at 0/22 overall!

Have got a couple of things to send over tomorrow morning.
Looking forward to the show, and I won't find it that heartbreaking.
I'm not expecting to get anything on, but I'm definitely going to try.

My exact words when I was arrested for dropping dog poo on Boris Johnson from the London Eye.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 14 2009, 4:32 PM BST

I think my tactic here is to steer away from writing about any of the main stories, as everyone will be, and so going for more general stuff. A tactic that will no doubt prove fruitless.

Yep. That's my plan as well. Current, but not quite topical. And weird. Always weird. Anyway, my sketches made me laugh. So that's something.

I wonder how you hear back. Whenish? Can't be that long a wait at least.

I think the show is going out thursday, so listening to that should give you some clue as to whether or not your material got in.

They usually let you know after the edit but before broadcast. So I'd say about Thursday evening.

Remember, if you want to write for the next recording, get your sketches in before noon!

Just sent my three little lambs off to the slaughter.

That'll teach me to read things properly. I thought the deadline was Tuesday/Wednesday had to do a a quick polish of my most topical sketch and sent that in.

Honestly, a Monday deadline. Madness!

Sent a few in. Don't have time to send in much but thought I might as well.

I sent in a couple, but did find it difficult to judge what they're after topical-wise based on the pilot alone, e.g. the "Legoland Tonight" sketch was my favourite but wasn't topical aside from a passing reference to the Ida fossil. So I focused on the broader "regular items" from the brief this time and will hit the topical route next week.