British Comedy Guide

Any info on ScriptNight: Renaissance?

It's less than a month away, they're selling tickets...
So, anyone know if they've picked the work yet?
I've heard nothing. Huh?

It looks from this that they have selected the scripts:

http://www.britishtheatre.com/events/script-night-renaissance

I counted six, possibly seven ideas on the poster.
BUT, they say they're doing 20 over two nights.
You'd think they's send out a 'thanks but no thanks' by now, wouldn't you?
Bloody theatricals.

Just got my 'we're all terribly sorry' e-mail.
Anyone get anything in?

Not heard either way yet! Have I offended them so much with my writing that they're not even responding!??

Dan

I've replied and asked for feedback.
I'm sure they're very busy but it seems a little impolite to keep people hanging on after they've made their descision.
Still, I enjoyed the process and would do it again.

BTW it was a generic letter which you would think they would have bulk e-mailed, so maybe the fact you haven't got it is good news??

Fingers crossed on your behalf.

Larry

Cheers Larry

Maybe they're holding back for some of us in a special case email:

"STOP SENDING US SHITE!"

:)

Dan

I haven't had a "thanks, but no thanks" email either. Yet. I'm sure it's winging it's way to me soon. :)

Well, I got mine last night.

Ah well, on to the next idea! (Rubbish as well :) )

Dan

Mine must be in the last batch of rejection emails then. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 12 2009, 9:13 AM GMT

Mine must be in the last batch of rejection emails then. :)

Have you really not heard anything yet?
It's a bloody outrage!

For what it's worth I'm pasting my rejection:

We're sorry!

We had an overwhelming response from writers the world over who responded to our call for submissions for our latest production, Script Night: Renaissance.

As usual, the standard was high and the diversity of interpretations of the theme was astonishingly wide.

The decision to shorten the length of submissions to between 5 and 10 minutes was made so that we could include a greater number and variety of pieces in the show. This has proved a good decision as we are working on twenty pieces, which are to be performed over 2 nights at The Carriageworks in Leeds on 6th & 7th March.

Unfortunately, there are many submissions, including yours, which we could not include this time round and this was for a number of reasons. Some, (a few admittedly), just didn't meet the criteria simply by running for longer than the 10 minute maximum and some submissions failed to address the theme.

Although we take pains to remain open minded until we receive all of the submissions and open and read all of them together, it is inevitable that some strike an immediate chord and make the shortlist straightaway and others just don't quite fit the mix.

Some pieces, although written for theatre, would arguably be more suitable for film, TV or radio and, although it is often possible to minimalise a lot of the settings, stage furniture and props that some pieces call for, sometimes it is an impossibility.

Casting can be an issue, too, and although we work with a versatile and talented pool of actors, it can be difficult to cast a piece which calls for two Octogenarians, their six year old granddaughter and her cat!

One of the single biggest issues in terms of structure can be the ending and we have been forced to reject many seemingly promising pieces, which peter out in the last few lines. Sometimes, if we believe that the idea is strong enough, we will work with writers on structure and charaterisation, but this is not always possible because time is so limited.

If your piece wasn't chosen this time, we will try to give you some useful feedback if you have requested it, although please bear with us and bear in mind that we are not a script reading service.

We hope that you will continue to be inspired to be creative and won't stop writing and submitting your pieces to us. We read every submission and give each piece we receive equal consideration. We value your contributions and look forward to the possibility of working with you in the future.

Regards

Jo McCarey-Egan

Cento Productions

Quote: Lazzard @ February 13 2009, 11:49 PM GMT

Have you really not heard anything yet?
It's a bloody outrage!

I still haven't heard anything back. They must have thought it so bad it didn't even merit a reply!

For anyone else who hasn't heard yet, it appears they're finalising the scripts for selection this week.

I'm in.