British Comedy Guide

Hancock's Half Hour Page 29

There are a couple of episodes of HHH that were actually ruined due to these attention seeking cretins

Sid should have given them a mouthful of signet rings

Thank you much appreciated

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st May 2024, 8:46 PM

There are a couple of episodes of HHH that were actually ruined due to these attention seeking cretins

Sid should have given them a mouthful of signet rings

Excessive laughter was often cited by BBC radio producers of the time as being a problem in live recordings. Printed guidance and warnings on such matters were actually often provided to audiences as they entered the theatre.

It didn't work clearly!

There was one particular male audience member I recall that was braying like a donkey

It was clear he was doing it so when he heard the show back on the radio at a later date he could pick himself out

That's got worse - it started with the American sheep whooping at every opportunity. Now we have pathetic UK wankers doing the same where there's an audience in the studios.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th May 2024, 7:38 PM

I absolutely adored A Visit To Swansea. I thought it very funny, really finding both cast and writers at the absolute top of their game. Very, very impressed.

The Missing re-recording seemed to have some changes to dialogue. I wonder why that happened?

That intrigued me very much, too!

It rather cut the legs out, so to speak, from the running gag about bad backs in the rewrite. Was it a matter of sacrificing continuity for funnier standalone jokes?

And Kevin McNally wasn't quite so confident about his ability to do a Welsh accent as Hancock, evidently.

McNally may have been more concerned with not getting cancelled, of course.

The other possibility is it wasn't a conscious edit, but that the surviving script was a slightly earlier draft, and Galton & Simpson had made further last minute changes that weren't documented anywhere except in the programme itself.

Or- gasp! - someone had the audacity to rewrite G&S?

I imagine that sort of thing is bound to happen, if HHH goes beyond 'classic that is repeated word for word' to becoming a sort of genre of comedy-

And given the Scandinavian show, that's certainly possible.