British Comedy Guide

Nearest School Please

Nearest School Please

INT. HALLWAY OF A HOME & EXT. SCHOOL PLAYGROUND & INT. INSIDE OF TAXI

The sketch starts of with a man (PETER) who's in his 40's rushing down the stairs and into the living room, then back out of the living room, while speaking to his daughter (KERRY) who is in her early teens on the phone. Kerry is in the playground waiting to be picked up.

PETER:
OK, SO I'VE GOT THE CAMERA, WHAT ELSE DO WE NEED?

KERRY:
MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE BINOCULARS AND BRING YOUR BIG COAT AND HAT AS WELL, IN CASE IT STARTS RAINING, PLEASE DAD

PETER:
OK, I'LL BRING A BOX OF TISSUES AS WELL

KERRY:
COLD

PETER:
YEP, AGAIN. ANYTHING ELSE

KERRY:
DON'T FORGET THE BIRD SPECIES BOOK THIS TIME EITHER

PETER:
OK, OH AND WHATS THE SCHOOL CALLED AGAIN?

KERRY:
OH DAD, IT'S CALLED ST FRUCTUOSUS OF TARRAGONA

PETER:
ST FRUCTU-WARRA

KERRY:
DAAAAD, ST FRUC… OH, JUST SAY THE NEAREST SCHOOL, I THINK IT'S THE CLOSEST, THE TAXI DRIVER SHOULD KNOW IT. THERES BUSHES JUST OUTSIDE THE PLAYGROUND.

PETER:
OK SWEETIE, I'LL BE THERE SOON

KERRY:
OK DAD, HURRY UP, PLEASE

Peter puts the phone down and he hears the taxi beeping. He puts on his coat and hat and then puts the binoculars and the camera around his neck; he grabs the box of tissues and opens the front door.

Peter gets in the taxi; the TAXI DRIVER is in his mid 30's

TAXI DRIVER:
WHERE TOO MATE?

PETER:
OH ERM…OH GOD…JUST TAKE ME TO THE NEAREST SCHOOL PLEASE. ONE WITH BUSHES OUTSIDE THE PLAYGROUND

Peter is sitting in the middle of the back seat with a long coat on, a hat, a camera and binoculars round his neck and a box of tissues on his knee.

The taxi driver looks enraged

TAXI DRIVER:
GET OUT OF MY TAXI YOU PERVERT

PETER:
BUT… BUT…

Peter has a look of bewilderment on his face and exits the taxi

END

I had to re-read this a few times before I got it. It's very contrived and doesn't make much sense. How come her Dad doesn't know where her school is? Why are they going birdwatching?

It's a very elaborate and contrived set-up to get to a fairly simple peado gag.

Agree with Lee. One of the main problems is that you have not adhered to normal script format/structure. You can't just lead with a bundled INT/EXT SCENE 1, 2 and 3, and you can't just explain the setup in a paragraph. If it doesn't unfold visually, then the viewer will be confused - otherwise just write a story, not a sketch. A written sketch is a blueprint for a director to actually shoot the action. Don't be discouraged, I suspect you are fairly new at this,so just read some sketches and get a feel for how to set everything up clearly. Once you have that down, you can work on how to tell the story, beginning, middle and end - the end should always be a bit of a surprise. With your attempt, it's very laboured, and you can see the punchline coming very early on.

There are many great resources on this site and elsewhere to help you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for advice, your right only started a few months ago, still not really sure how a sketch should be set up, so I'll have a look round the site. Back to the drawing board, thank you.