British Comedy Guide

I am an atheist... Page 4

In Mexico you do not want to make virgin mary wrapped in a towel on a cover.I hear they were upset.

http://weirdnews.about.com/b/2008/12/13/nude-virgin-mary-sparks-outrage-not-that-im-complaining.htm

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 8:22 PM GMT

I don't give cards or presents and generally return presents.

Frankly Christmas with out religion is about as close to Satanic worship as you can get, before you start hacking out human hearts.

Dear God, someone get this man an eggnog. Rolling eyes

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 15 2008, 2:51 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 14 2008, 11:27 PM GMT

I'm an atheist. It almost cost me my best friend. He asked me to be Godfather to his son and I refused because I thought it would be hypocritical of me to go into a church and promise to bring the child up as a believer in Christ and all that other church stuff. He understood me in the end, but was still a little pissed off.

Can't say I blame him really. Isn't it more about being there for a mate than stubbornly sticking to your principals?

I don't believe in Christianity but I still say Merry Christmas to people.

Prezunctly. Naughty Ned.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 15 2008, 2:56 PM GMT

You're a funny fellow. On the one hand you have this logical side that makes you sceptical of religion and take a very pragmatic view of telling your kids Father Christmas doesn't exist. Then on the other hand, you believe in UFO's.

I dunno, I may have had the mother of all journeys in to work but I'd still say "good morning" to my colleagues. That's hypocrisy but it does them no harm.

Quote: chipolata @ December 15 2008, 3:07 PM GMT

You're a funny fellow. On the one hand you have this logical side that makes you sceptical of religion and take a very pragmatic view of telling your kids Father Christmas doesn't exist. Then on the other hand, you believe in UFO's.

That's because there are countless videos on YouTube of UFOs and not one of Jesus.

Also, I haven't told my kids Father Christmas doesn't exist. What I said was I find the lying aspect of it uncomfortable.

Anything else?

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 15 2008, 3:34 PM GMT

Anything else?

Easy champ, I wasn't having a go.

Quote: chipolata @ December 15 2008, 3:37 PM GMT

Easy champ, I wasn't having a go.

Oh.

It sort of sounded like you were.

My apologies.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 15 2008, 2:51 PM GMT

What's the fun and point in believing in the same things as others.?

If we were all turkeys, I like to think I'd be the one hiding under the wheel barrow.

Whilst the rest of you all march off to turkey heaven.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 15 2008, 2:56 PM GMT

Can't say I blame him really. Isn't it more about being there for a mate than stubbornly sticking to your principals?

Not so.....merry Christmas has sod all to do with being Christian, I'm not but I still want to have a merry Christmas!

Standing in a church and agreeing to be a God parent is something VERY different.....I have been asked and also said no.

I felt a bit uncomfortable at my niece's Christening, we all had to like join in and make promises and stuff to do with religion. Me and my (atheist) brother just stood there sort of mouthing along (like when you pretend to sing in school assembly). It would just be nice if there was a little non religious option, so we could still feel included and relevant.

So if someone asked me to be a God parent, I would say yes, but it would be nicer if there was a non religious equivalent I could do instead.

Why not just explain you aren't religious? My parents asked me long ago about when we were having our kids Christened.....I explained I didnt believe in such nonsense and wasn't planning on getting them blessed by pink elves either. Not much has been said on the subject since!

Just thinking....is your niece the child of your brother who's an atheist????

Quote: zooo @ December 15 2008, 5:27 PM GMT

I felt a bit uncomfortable at my niece's Christening, we all had to like join in and make promises and stuff to do with religion. Me and my (atheist) brother just stood there sort of mouthing along (like when you pretend to sing in school assembly). It would just be nice if there was a little non religious option, so we could still feel included and relevant.

So if someone asked me to be a God parent, I would say yes, but it would be nicer if there was a non religious equivalent I could do instead.

That's a tricky one, obviously you want to be their for family etc.

So it seems a little unfair to expect you participate?

Me personally in similar circumstances I stand in polite silence.

It's funny they're just words, but if we're honest they still have meaning.

Even when in a foreign language.

Interestingly weddings seem to be one of the few rituals to eject religious symbolism.