British Comedy Guide

Movie: The Movie: The Movie 2: Directors Cut

This hurt my head, so I'd appreciate some feedback, good or bad. Cheers.

Movie: The Movie: The Movie 2: Directors Cut Final Edition - Hosted on the Celtx servers.

Or I'll just post it here :)

INT. Film set, within a film set, within a film set.

The Director watches on, as Steve plays the role of the Director, directing Luke the Director, who's directing the action.

Steve is looking perplexed.

The DIRECTOR
Cut!

STEVE
Sorry everyone. I'm just having trouble, I mean, what's my inspiration?

THE DIRECTOR
You're a director.

STEVE
Oh so, I'm "directing" the direction.

THE DIRECTOR
Yes.

STEVE
So, what are you doing?

THE DIRECTOR
I'm directing your direction, directing the direction.

STEVE
I've always knew I would get into directing.

THE DIRECTOR
Well technically, I'm the director and you're just playing a director, who's directing a director, directing a film.

LUKE
Am I directing a director?

THE DIRECTOR
No, that would just be silly. Anyway.
(Beat)
Action!

STEVE
Action!

LUKE
Action!

Actor
I love you.

ACTRESS
And I love you...

LUKE
Cut!

STEVE
Did I do something wrong?

THE DIRECTOR
Cut! Steve, he's not directing you, you're directing him.

STEVE
But I wouldn't direct it like that.

LUKE
What's wrong with my directing?

STEVE
Nothing, it's just, not how I'd do it.

LUKE
Well I'd like to see your attempt at being a director.

STEVE
What does it say on my chair?

LUKE
It's just a black chair.

STEVE
Oh, well I...

THE DIRECTOR
Shut up! Both of you! Neither of you are directing. You are just playing the roles of directors. And there is nothing wrong with the direction. Right, is everyone clear about their roles?

STEVE
Yes.

LUKE
Yep.

THE DIRECTOR
OK. Action!

STEVE
Action!

LUKE
Action!

ACTOR
Action!

THE DIRECTOR
Cut!

THE END

It's not bad, LEEVIL. It's a little confusing to read, but a piece like this always will be. It would be nice to see it filmed.

Yes, confusing but I guess, due to the concept, it's unavoidable. Superb idea. Touch of clarity may help in the script but Ben's right, visually, with the word confusion bypassed, this will be utterly clever.

It's a good one. I'd suggest revealing the different levels of "direction" more gradually - i.e have the sketch start with the actor and actress saying their lines before being interrupted by Luke who then gets interrupted by Steve who then gets interrupted by "the director" etc. - might be a little less confusing than throwing all the directors at the viewer at once. But it's a funny idea - good work.

Bo.

It reminds me of my attempts to master computer programming. After reading through it a few times I'm pretty sure it would work well visually. Great original idea - well done.

Like it, clever and funny.

I like the idea but it's a little too confusing in its current state. Bo has some good suggestions. I felt you could do more with the premise too. I'd recommend using these two sketches for inspiration:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZNX1jqbOk

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

Yep, Bo's suggestion is probably better to get delayed reveals and to introduce each new layer of complexity slowly to the audience (reader / viewer).

Quote: Ben @ December 9 2008, 4:33 PM GMT

It's not bad, LEEVIL.

Who? What? Where? Whistling nnocently

Cheers everyone, I'll take your comments on board and have another go at it.

Love the clips Bussell. Mr. Show is great.