British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 952

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 1 2012, 10:25 PM BST

On the one hand - fair, balanced and reasonable.

On the other hand - Linehan is being a total hypocrite. Celebrities use Twitter to further their careers and gain publicity. As always, you can't have it both ways and to expect nothing but non-stop adulation is comical.

If you throw yourself blindly into the online world demanding love and attention, then you'd have to be some sort of naive fool to believe that some nutty and disgruntled people wouldn't react by being mean.

He states that because of technology, you can now bully people from half a world away, completely ignoring the inverse, that you can now flog your shit and gain popularity to people half a world away.

It's Saxondale beating up the squirrel in the shopping centre. You hassle strangers, you get beats.

Clap clap clap !

Quote: zooo @ August 1 2012, 10:51 PM BST

And some of them just join Twitter for the same reasons we do. They are actually just normal people, y'know. Most of 'em.

Quite.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 1 2012, 10:25 PM BST

On the other hand - Linehan is being a total hypocrite.

No he's not. There is nothing hypocritical about not liking abuse being sent to you. Even if you're successful.

But I fully expected you to say exactly these mad things, RC. :)

He lost me when he asked us to "imagine @Rileyy_69 had introduced himself to Daley in a pub with the same line. (Remember Daley is is a year older than @Rileyy_69, and presumably subject to the same hormonal surges that led to the latter's mostly directionless aggression). What do you think would have happened?"

Thhere's no immediate threat of violence online, whereas there is in a pub, so it's an unrealistic comparison. This isn't the way to clarify his point, it just further muddies it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19092545

More Twit Quits as Helen Skeletor from Blue Peter runs away from her critics. No specific examples were given of the abuse she received.

I did see her do some interviews with the crowds in the Olympic Park and her technique wasn't the best, she couldn't switch out of childrens TV mode and it was all terribly awkward.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 12:30 PM BST

I did see her do some interviews with the crowds in the Olympic Park and her technique wasn't the best, she couldn't switch out of childrens TV mode and it was all terribly awkward.

Well is there any other way we can send abuse to her? Is she on Facebook??

I sent paul hogan an aerogramme in 1983 calling him a smelly bum and offering to kick his shins

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 1:33 PM BST

Well is there any other way we can send abuse to her? Is she on Facebook??

That's the problem, how do you differentiate justifiable criticism from personal abuse?

Is criticising her interviewing technique the same as personally abusing her? If every time Skelton went on Twitter it was full of comments like 'Why has she been chosen to do the Olympics coverage, she is awful.' is that abuse?

She herself admitted that she wasn't thick skinned enough to handle the comments, which is understandable if you've been molly coddled by the BBC and most of your viewers have been young children. Once exposed to the crucible of uncensored public opinion, she has discovered that everything isn't covered in unicorns pooing rainbows and can't handle it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:12 PM BST

That's the problem, how do you differentiate justifiable criticism from personal abuse?

Is criticising her interviewing technique the same as personally abusing her? If every time Skelton went on Twitter it was full of comments like 'Why has she been chosen to do the Olympics coverage, she is awful.' is that abuse?

She herself admitted that she wasn't thick skinned enough to handle the comments, which is understandable if you've been molly coddled by the BBC and most of your viewers have been young children. Once exposed to the crucible of uncensored public opinion, she has discovered that everything isn't covered in unicorns pooing rainbows and can't handle it.

I don't think that's very fair. Very few people have to deal with personal criticism on a regular basis - it has nothing to do with being coddled by CBBC, she seems like quite a sweet person who doesn't have enough bravado or self-confidence to shake off the sort of personal attacks she apparently was getting. I think we have a right to criticise people, but there's a difference between saying "That Helen Skelton is a bit shit!" and "Oi, Helen! You're shit!".

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 2:20 PM BST

I think we have a right to criticise people, but there's a difference between saying "That Helen Skelton is a bit shit!" and "Oi, Helen! You're shit!".

I agree, some people just use Twitter to troll or they don't have enough education to fully articulate their criticisms.

Weirdly, I'd think those are the ones that would be easiest to ignore, the well thought out, intelligent criticisms on the other hand, exposing how ill equipped you are to the task in hand and how you are a waste of the License Fee are far more devastating in my opinion.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:42 PM BST

I agree, some people just use Twitter to troll or they don't have enough education to fully articulate their criticisms.

Weirdly, I'd think those are the ones that would be easiest to ignore, the well thought out, intelligent criticisms on the other hand, exposing how ill equipped you are to the task in hand and how you are a waste of the License Fee are far more devastating in my opinion.

Yes, they probably are, but I don't doubt that some people find a way to boil those criticisms down to 140 acerbic characters. People with genuine gripes about someone's inappropriateness/inability/incompetence should direct them to the BBC or whoever put them in that position rather than the individual. Twitter has become a way for everyone to play Dennis Pennis without considering that they are talking to a human being.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:42 PM BST

Weirdly, I'd think those are the ones that would be easiest to ignore,

Well you don't know as it's not happening to you. I'm sure, as there are many famous people on the internet, a lot generally do ignore it.

You read what they send.

'Why has she been chosen to do the Olympics coverage, she is awful.' is that abuse?

I would say yes if it's sent directly to her, by including her twitter handle as part of the message. People expect shit to be said about them, but by doing it that way, it's not just about them, it's TOO them.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 2:50 PM BST

Yes, they probably are, but I don't doubt that some people find a way to boil those criticisms down to 140 acerbic characters. People with genuine gripes about someone's inappropriateness/inability/incompetence should direct them to the BBC or whoever put them in that position rather than the individual. Twitter has become a way for everyone to play Dennis Pennis without considering that they are talking to a human being.

I'm not on Twitter, I don't use Twitter and I don't receive Tweets. From it's very inception, it sounded like an egotistical tool for self agrandising narcisscists.

Now, it's 'news' if a celebrity Twit Quits because some people were mean. Thus heaping yet more online publicity bullcrap and superficial sympathy into their needy little ego-holes.

Quitting, then running to your BBC bosses and boo-hooing so they run a story about how you quit is just a massive gushing circle jerk of celebrity nothingness.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:59 PM BST

I'm not on Twitter, I don't use Twitter and I don't receive Tweets. From it's very inception, it sounded like an egotistical tool for self agrandising narcisscists.

Well of course it can be to some, famous and non-famous, but it's not just about that, at all, and many don't use it for such a purpose.

As you say, you don't use Twitter and know bum all about it, so zip it. :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:59 PM BST

Now, it's 'news' if a celebrity Twit Quits because some people were mean. Thus heaping yet more online publicity bullcrap and superficial sympathy into their needy little ego-holes.

Quitting, then running to your BBC bosses and boo-hooing so they run a story about how you quit is just a massive gushing circle jerk of celebrity nothingness.

I also don't use twitter, but I don't think that you can say that everyone using twitter does so for the same reason and that it's all about ego and self-publicising, especially if you have never used it yourself so haven't really immersed yourself into it. I imagine a lot of people use it as a social tool to talk to people, the same way we are doing on this forum.

And I don't think she did ask the BBC to run a news story on her leaving twitter. You're just making that up because it suits your idea of twitter users. The story was probably picked up because of the Tom Daley twitter story.