Quote: sootyj @ June 18 2012, 9:18 PM BST

Isn't persia where happy cats live?

Pirate kittys live in Qatar.

Wellthat's a booyah and no mistaking

And the place with the most abandoned cats

Catalonia

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/06/19/15615/how_jimmy_carr_avoids_tax

Jimmy Carr how could you?

I'm neither shocked by the fact he's avoiding full tax nor am I surprised that he's a big hypocrite.

Kind of makes it difficult to have much of a moral superiority in future.

Above a certain degree of wealth I've always felt that the moral sense of paying your fair share of tax, must surely be better than the guilty feeling of dodging it?

Or am I being hopelessly naiev?

I couldn't really care less, to be honest.
Don't the very rich have to give half their money in taxes or something? That's too much. I'd probably be tempted to do the same thing.
It's not as if he's breaking the law.

It will probably be embarrassing for him for a while, presenting satire, surrounded by comedians. But it's hardly on the level of Angus Deayton having to present his show after shagging prozzies.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2012, 10:43 AM BST

Above a certain degree of wealth I've always felt that the moral sense of paying your fair share of tax, must surely be better than the guilty feeling of dodging it?

Or am I being hopelessly naiev?

You and me both, brother.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2012, 10:43 AM BST

It will probably be embarrassing for him for a while, presenting satire, surrounded by comedians. But it's hardly on the level of Angus Deayton having to present his show after shagging prozzies.

Socially, it's far worse.

I'm slowly edging towards George Osbournes argument. Something along the lines that every one pays the same percentage of tax (except the very poor). And we crack down on people evading these more reasonable terms.

But tax evasion I do find upsetting, that money could do some real good.

Imagine how many; gypsies could be patronised, corgis polished or hitech jets sold to dictators with his taxes.

I'd rather give the same amount directly to charity.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2012, 10:43 AM BST

Nowthat's weird. I'm not that bothered Deayton likes commercial sex, but who did it really hurt?

Where as tax evasion does cause pain.

It was ridiculous that he had to leave. :(

I imagine half the rich celebs do it. At least. Jimmy's just the one who's made the news for some reason.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2012, 10:48 AM BST

That's because you're wrong. If everyone did that we'd basically all be dead.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2012, 10:48 AM BST

I'm slowly edging towards George Osbournes argument. Something along the lines that every one pays the same percentage of tax (except the very poor). And we crack down on people evading these more reasonable terms.

But tax evasion I do find upsetting, that money could do some real good.

Yes I've thought this for a while. Very poor and everyone else. There will be less incentive for avoidance if richers don't think they're paying for the great unwashed.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2012, 10:48 AM BST

Working for a charity 90% of our funding is from the government.

So essentially you are.

But charity as an alternative to state funding is pretty awful. I mean you'd get billions for the hospital for "blameless kiddies with sympathetic illnesses who aren't fat."

and nothing for mental illness, homelesness or unapealling sick types.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2012, 10:51 AM BST

agine half the rich celebs do it. At least. Jimmy's just the one who's made the news for some reason.

If we keep racing to the bottom, we'll end up like Greece! Careful now!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 19 2012, 10:51 AM BST

That's because you're wrong. If everyone did that we'd basically all be dead.

I'm not saying everyone should do it! Just me. You can all do what you like. :)

I'd rather give a few million to a cat charity. Humans can f**k off.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2012, 10:51 AM BST

But charity as an alternative to state funding is pretty awful. I mean you'd get billions for the hospital for "blameless kiddies with sympathetic illnesses who aren't fat."

No. Kitties.