British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 870

Quote: Tursiops @ June 12 2012, 8:19 PM BST

Have you? Posted in answer to my query whether you understood the meaning of alleged:

Yes, and I stand by my assertion that it's ridiculous to call someone an "alleged" criminal even if their crime took place in front of 10,000 witnesses.

Some new reporting from the Los Angeles Times; I suppose we now start postulating that the brother was the actual molester?

The adults were shoeing a horse and had sent the 4-year-old and her brother to feed chickens when the attack occurred, a relative told KPRC.

The children's grandfather said the boy returned to alert his father that the little girl had been taken away by a man. The father found the pair partially naked, investigators told KPRC.

"In the course of trying to get her away from him, and protect her, he struck the subject several times in the head and the subject died," Harmon told KPRC. "There doesn't appear to be any reason other than what he told us."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-texas-killing-20120612,0,5906401.story

An attributable statement from the police would be more reassuring: the actual quote from the Sheriff, as opposed to the unnamed investigators, just gives us the father's version of events and so does not say much more than we already new. But if you had waited for the facts to begin to emerge before posting your gloating approbation of the father you might not have got quite the reaction you did.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 7:15 PM BST

You know, I'm always getting the Newsnight Serious Political Forum mixed up with the British Comedy Forum. I can only apologise.

EDIT: And thanks for saying I'm fabulous. I think you are great too. In fact, I would pay money to see a whole evening of your Will Cam sketches and for once I'm being totally serious. They crack me up every time.

You may end up in a guest starring role

Quote: Tursiops @ June 12 2012, 8:33 PM BST

An attributable statement from the police would be more reassuring: the actual quote from the Sheriff, as opposed to the unnamed investigators, just gives us the father's version of events and so does not say much more than we already new.

Yes, the detectives' statements tell us that the girl's brother watched the man take his sister away and that the dead man and young girl were partially disrobed. But I guess we can add the L.A. Times to the growing list of people who can't be trusted to tell the truth about this case ...

But if you had waited for the facts to begin to emerge before posting your gloating approbation of the father you might not have got quite the reaction you did.

The facts as we know them so far say that a father killed a man who was molesting his 4-year-old daughter. I'm am 100% fine with that. The same goes for people who kill burglars, rapists, muggers, carjackers, and face-eating cannibals.

The whole family might be in collusion. Wouldn't be the first time in such a case, using the "paedophile" defence to try to cover up a murder. Let's hope the detectives checking it all out are professional in their approach.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 8:56 PM BST

Yes, the detectives' statements tell us that the girl's brother watched the man take his sister away and that the dead man and young girl were partially disrobed. But I guess we can add the L.A. Times to the growing list of people who can't be trusted to tell the truth about this case ...

Hang on, what statements? All you have quoted are unattributed, paraphrased comments.

When jean Charles de Menezes was shot by police all sorts of things were reported by the press, none of which turned out to be true. The press go for the angle that will appeal to their readers

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2012, 8:43 PM BST

You may end up in a guest starring role

Like Flashheart in Blackadder?

Pleased

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 8:56 PM BST

The facts as we know them so far say that a father killed a man who was molesting his 4-year-old daughter. I'm am 100% fine with that. The same goes for people who kill burglars, rapists, muggers, carjackers, and face-eating cannibals.

These new 'facts' are not the version of events you originally posted.

I have no problem with a father using extreme force to defend his daughter, I just feel that you jumped in rather disturbingly quickly in lauding the man's death. I just hope that if ever you find yourself in a situation where you might use that gun of yours in anger that you do not jump to conclusions quite so readily.

Quote: Tursiops @ June 12 2012, 9:08 PM BST

Hang on, what statements? All you have quoted are unattributed, paraphrased comments.

When jean Charles de Menezes was shot by police all sorts of things were reported by the press, none of which turned out to be true. The press go for the angle that will appeal to their readers

*If anyone implies one more time on this thread that the father/family/cops/newspapers/TV reporters might be liars, I'm going to buy a Mossberg 930 SPX shotgun to spite you. Do you want another dangerous firearm on the streets? How will you live with yourselves?

* Please do so, as I really want a shotgun. Wave

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 9:25 PM BST

I'm going to buy a Mossberg 930 SPX shotgun to spite you.

Good choice sir, and from what I understand, just as reliable as it's more expensive competitor, the FN SLP.

Heaven forfend that anyone might be lying. That would be really unusual.

Quote: Tursiops @ June 12 2012, 9:15 PM BST

I just feel that you jumped in rather disturbingly quickly in lauding the man's death.

And I find your lack of faith in humanity rather disturbing. The average person tends to tell the truth rather than concoct elaborate murder schemes.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 9:30 PM BST

The average person tends to tell the truth..

Oh yes.. absolutely.

I shall spare the Jehovah's Witnesses of Fort Lauderdale from certain death.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 9:30 PM BST

And I find your lack of faith in humanity rather disturbing.