British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 782

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 3:40 PM BST

I'm saying that suggesting that all hunters have great respect for animals is mawkish rubbish.

Now there's a generalisation we can all be proud of. You have stated that you've grown up in the countryside and therefore, must have met loads of hunters - many of whom were probably farmers as well.

And you're saying that not one of them had any respect for animals? Wow, that's a pretty grim part of the world you grew up in.

And as far as I know, vets and doctors don't arrange fun abortion safaris in Africa with their mates.

But abortionists do stuff and mount the tiny foetuses and hang them on their walls.
Or so some American Christians tell me.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 16 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Now there's a generalisation we can all be proud of. You have stated that you've grown up in the countryside and therefore, must have met loads of hunters - many of whom were probably farmers as well.

And you're saying that not one of them had any respect for animals? Wow, that's a pretty grim part of the world you grew up in.

No, I only met 2 people who hunted things. One was a c**t.

And yet again, you're putting words in my mouth. I said, right there, in that post you just quoted, that suggesting ALL hunters have great respect for animals is bollocks.

I'm having serious doubts about your reading and comprehension abilities.

Quote: Lazzard @ April 16 2012, 3:49 PM BST

But abortionists do stuff and mount the tiny foetuses and hang them on their walls.
Or so some American Christians tell me.

:D

I respect David Bowie but I don't want to shoot him.

Are you trying to justify the action of my namesake over John Lennon?

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 3:33 PM BST

Lol, yes putting down a pet in great pain is showing exactly the same amount of respect as a person who shoots elephants for laughs.

As we've discussed in the past, such hunts are strictly regulated and the hunter pays tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars to kill an animal like an elephant. That money pays for conservation efforts and game wardens and pours money into the tiny economies of the region. The elephants chosen to be killed are either sick, elderly or destructive nuisances in the first place. The meat is given to the local residents, too.

You should really sit down and talk to some avid hunters and you'll learn just how respectful they are. My neighbors spend tens of thousands of dollars per year on feeders, food, genetic testing, water, medicine and meat processing. That's a lot of money for 2 or 3 deer every year.

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 3:49 PM BST

I'm having serious doubts about your reading and comprehension abilities.

I do apologise. I may have wrongly interpreted your assertion and proposed that you were implying the inverse of your generalisation - Do all hunters respect animals? Probably not. Do the vast majority of hunters respect animals? Definitely so.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 3:52 PM BST

As we've discussed in the past, such hunts are strictly regulated and the hunter pays tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars to kill an animal like an elephant. That money pays for conservation efforts and game wardens and pours money into the tiny economies of the region. The elephants chosen to be killed are either sick, elderly or destructive nuisances in the first place. The meat is given to the local residents, too.

You should really sit down and talk to some avid hunters and you'll learn just how respectful they are. My neighbors spend tens of thousands of dollars per year on feeders, food, genetic testing, water, medicine and meat processing. That's a lot of money for 2 or 3 deer every year.

That is total bollocks and you know it. This is the 21st century and we are supposed to be civilised - not f**king neanderthals.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 3:52 PM BST

The part I have a problem with is that the hunter gets a kick out of killing something, They are NOT doing it purely for conservation reasons. That's a side product of it. They're not out there thinking, wow I really hate to do this to you Nelly, but I have to shoot you for the sake of the planet! They are doing it because they enjoy killing an animal. That's f**ked up. And it is NOT respectful. That's really a pathetic claim.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 3:43 PM BST

It's still uncivilised. You always see these f**king arseholes grinning with their trophies. "Oooh - aren't I macho man because I've blasted a poor defenceless animal to death with my bazooka!"

Your perception differs greatly from reality. Perhaps you should hop on the next flight to Africa and chastise the villagers for celebrating and dancing after their men bring home food for their tables. Or, at the very least, head down to your local lake and admonish the fishermen for holding up their catch and taking photos.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 16 2012, 3:53 PM BST

I do apologise. I may have wrongly interpreted your assertion and proposed that you were implying the inverse of your generalisation - Do all hunters respect animals? Probably not. Do the vast majority of hunters respect animals? Definitely so.

Do they know the meaning of the word respect? I'd respect them more if it was one man against a herd of hippopotommi and elephants ready to stampede him.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 3:57 PM BST

That is total bollocks and you know it. This is the 21st century and we are supposed to be civilised - not f**king neanderthals.

That's why I don't own any pets. It's a barbaric practice that goes back thousands of years for the purposes of either catching household rodents, feeding your family or protecting your property from thieves.

Same with any animal ownership from horses to chickens to rabbits. People who own such poor creatures are f**king neanderthals.

We have cars, supermarkets, burglar alarms, mouse traps and every other modern convenience possible to replace animals.

Anyone exploiting an animal for their own purposes when not necessary is evil.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Your perception differs greatly from reality. Perhaps you should hop on the next flight to Africa and chastise the villagers for celebrating and dancing after their men bring home food for their tables. Or, at the very least, head down to your local lake and admonish the fishermen for holding up their catch and taking photos.

So you think I'm being hypocritical? It's OK to kill for food - not just for a f**king trophy or a bit of ivory that is no use to anyone except the rhino or elephant.

*massive eye roll*

(Not at Chappers, naturally.)

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Do they know the meaning of the word respect? I'd respect them more if it was one man against a herd of hippopotommi and elephants ready to stampede him.

Hold on - have you seen the size of an elephant?
They're tiny
Any man who can manage to hit an elephant gets my respect.