British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 476

Opinion piece in today's paper. A bit rich coming from the Murdoch press: THE riots in London and elsewhere in Britain are a backhanded tribute to the long-term intellectual torpor, moral cowardice, incompetence and careerist opportunism of the British political and intellectual class.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/british-rioters-the-spawn-of-a-bankrupt-ruling-elite/story-e6frg6zo-1226112640970

Quote: Kenneth @ August 11 2011, 9:01 AM BST

Opinion piece in today's paper. A bit rich coming from the Murdoch press: THE riots in London and elsewhere in Britain are a backhanded tribute to the long-term intellectual torpor, moral cowardice, incompetence and careerist opportunism of the British political and intellectual class.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/british-rioters-the-spawn-of-a-bankrupt-ruling-elite/story-e6frg6zo-1226112640970

And not a mention of the role of the Murdoch owned press in influencing De Masses with the pap in the Sun and the awfulness that is Sky. Nothing to admit culpability in conspiring with the bankrupt politicians to keep the party in power that best suited Murdoch. And why the unwarranted swipe at Winehouse in the middle of it?

Quote: KLRiley @ August 11 2011, 9:12 AM BST

And why the unwarranted swipe at Winehouse in the middle of it?

Maybe more a swipe at the culture of obsession with vacuous celebrities, for which the media is partly to blame.

Just saw footage on the news of a self-confessed rioter saying youths were justified in running amok because the government has allowed Poles in and "they took our jobs". A line straight from South Park.

And why the unwarranted swipe at Winehouse in the middle of it?

Not unwarranted really, she extolled much of what was wrong with the culture and attitudes of many young people now: A selfish egotistical lifestyle based around having what she could get, much drinking and drugging with absolutely no moral regard for the example it set; a brash rudeness in front of cameras; a lack of dignity and a disregard for anything outside her saturated self obsessed world. He made a fair point there.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 11 2011, 9:36 AM BST

Maybe more a swipe at the culture of obsession with vacuous celebrities, for which the media is partly to blame.

Just saw footage on the news of a self-confessed rioter saying youths were justified in running amok because the government has allowed Poles in and "they took our jobs". A line straight from South Park.

Although the riots had nothing to do with lack of jobs, the fact remains that immigration over the last 10 or 15 years has had a massive effect on the average unqualified, unskilled Brit, when it comes to finding work that pays decent wages.

An Open Letter to David Cameron's Parents:

http://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-david-camerons-parents/

And not a mention of the role of the Murdoch owned press in influencing De Masses with the pap in the Sun and the awfulness that is Sky. Nothing to admit culpability in conspiring with the bankrupt politicians to keep the party in power that best suited Murdoch. And why the unwarranted swipe at Winehouse in the middle of it?

Well the Murdoch press does like to talk about editorial independence, maybe the Australian has finally found it. If I was a Murdoch journalist working in Australia I would think it a bit unfair to be automatically equated to the News of the World. But then I'm not a Murdoch journalist.

I find Sky the most balanced British news broadcaster; I tire of all broadcasters, but I'm not sure what makes Sky any more awful than the rest?Eh?

Have you seen any Chris Morris news spoofs?

Nick Clegg-

"I think it's actually right to say if you go out and break the law and you destroy the community in which you live, why should you simply assume that you are going to continue to be supported in living in the way that you are in that community?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14489272

Hilarious pie chart on Newsnight last night asking joe numbskull the cause of the riots: 65% said 'criminality'. You couldn't make it up.

So as expected, the government provides lots of words and fewer police. Because what everyone really thinks will help are some more drawn out inquiries by politicians who didn't deign to visit Hackney or Tottenham, rather than members of the public actually feeling or being safe. Ho hum.

Quote: AJGO @ August 11 2011, 3:21 PM BST

Because what everyone really thinks will help are some more drawn out inquiries by politicians who didn't deign to visit Hackney or Tottenham, rather than members of the public actually feeling or being safe. Ho hum.

To be picky, an inquiry is just a question. An enquiry is a debate (okay, it can be just a question as well).

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 11 2011, 1:00 PM BST

Hilarious pie chart on Newsnight last night asking joe numbskull the cause of the riots: 65% said 'criminality'.

You don't say?

I understand the need to punish these rioters, but in the long term, the actions being proposed might well be counterproductive to society. Short-term prison sentences are well known to fail to reform prisoners, but instead introduces them to the methods of the more hardened criminals. And while it's true communities shouldn't have to support such people, making them homeless will further alienate them. We'll end up with an army of desperate, homeless no-hopers on the streets, with education in nothing but crime.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 11 2011, 4:52 PM BST

To be picky, an inquiry is just a question. An enquiry is a debate (okay, it can be just a question as well).

Enquiry

'To enquire' means to request information/look into. From this comes the noun 'a/the enquiry'

Examples:
We ought to make some enquiries about getting our work vetted by Future Perfect.

Inquiry

This is favoured in English only when talking of investigations.

Example:
There will be an inquiry into this riot.

(From future-perfect.co.uk, repeated in many other grammar guides)

Zooo, I'd keep an eye on Aaron. You have hot new competition. ;)