British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 469

Quote: zooo @ August 9 2011, 6:59 PM BST

More than 50% of your posts now seem to be about conspiracy theories. Just so you know... ;)

I love 'em, and they've now become my official party trick, for when I want people's attention.

For example, here's a pretty big one (scroll down to the video): http://www.titanicuniverse.com/the-titanic-conspiracy-investigating-the-titanic-conspiracy-theory/124

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ August 9 2011, 7:56 PM BST

As long as you keep you head down, Aj!! So how are things round your way, as darkness descends?

Nowhere near darkness yet, bloody great weather for anyone fancying a riot.
Odd feeling around here, mostly relief that nothing too bad seems to be happening (latest is bricks thrown at police-how standards of not too bad quickly change) but seems like the area is holding its breath and seeing what happens, indeed, when darkness descends.

From Guardian about use of Blackberrys:
Research In Motion (RIM) could hand over information about rioters - including their names, the number of messages sent and received, the names of people they sent messages to, the time they were sent, and the location - without being issued with a warrant by the police.

However, police officers would have to be granted a warrant in order to force RIM to hand over the contents of users' "broadcasts".

More than 50 people were killed in the 1992 Los Angeles riots. My friend was living there at the time and walked a block or two to the local bar to have a few drinks. On the way there someone opened their door and yelled, "Get in here. They're coming!"

He entered the house and there were 2 armed men crouched behind a window. A van filled with African-American men was slowly cruising the street in search of people to beat and valuables to steal. One of the guys asked my buddy if he knew how to use a pistol and then slid a .357 Magnum across the floor to him. They all sat and waited until the van moved on.

Quote: AJGO @ August 9 2011, 8:02 PM BST

You need a good rain. Rioters hate getting wet.

My City is on fire. Bastards!!! It will be a safe place for my Mother to walk around in.
Reports coming through to me that HMV is on fire.

Quote: DaButt @ August 9 2011, 8:06 PM BST

More than 50 people were killed in the 1992 Los Angeles riots. My friend was living there at the time and walked a block or two to the local bar to have a few drinks. On the way there someone opened their door and yelled, "Get in here. They're coming!"

He entered the house and there were 2 armed men crouched behind a window. A van filled with African-American men was slowly cruising the street in search of people to beat and valuables to steal. One of the guys asked my buddy if he knew how to use a pistol and then slid a .357 Magnum across the floor to him. They all sat and waited until the van moved on.

Now that is bloody scary stuff.

I just heard about the racially motivated beatings at the Minnesota State Fair the other day. It's so effing depressing.

Quote: AJGO @ August 9 2011, 8:02 PM BST

Odd feeling around here, mostly relief that nothing too bad seems to be happening (latest is bricks thrown at police-how standards of not too bad quickly change) but seems like the area is holding its breath and seeing what happens, indeed, when darkness descends.

From Guardian about use of Blackberrys:
Research In Motion (RIM) could hand over information about rioters - including their names, the number of messages sent and received, the names of people they sent messages to, the time they were sent, and the location - without being issued with a warrant by the police.

However, police officers would have to be granted a warrant in order to force RIM to hand over the contents of users' "broadcasts".

Sick Yeah, very comforting. You be careful, Kate Aj!!

Quote: chipolata @ August 9 2011, 7:54 PM BST

Are you compiling statistics on us all, zooo? Eh?

Yes, 50% of your posts are picking on zooo.

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ August 9 2011, 8:15 PM BST

I just heard about the racially motivated beatings at the Minnesota State Fair the other day. It's so effing depressing.

Those flash mobs are cropping up in various cities. I've read that Philadelphia has a big problem.

Quote: AJGO @ August 9 2011, 12:55 PM BST

News reports that every cell in London is full. So don't know what they reckon they'll do even if they have enough officers to get involved and make arrests

Shove them all in, arms by sides, until they're like sardines. Then lock the door. Let them shit and piss themselves all night.

Quite a few tweets suggesting heading to Hackney from other areas- hopefully just chat from people trying to look big.

Quote: DaButt @ August 9 2011, 8:06 PM BST

That's why water cannon are so effective. With fires around they help with that as well. They take a lot of training to use, evidently, there are many scenarios you have to be cautious about using them in but I think they are used a fair bit in NI. But then NI's rioters are very hardened troublemakers. I can only imagine they may be a bit strong for English health and safety tzars to allow using on our streets! Well, that and businesses and insurers etc. They are devastingly powerful and effective. They can easily push cars out of the way.

We need some brand new youth in this country. This lot are a lost cause.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 9 2011, 8:45 PM BST

Shove them all in, arms by sides, until they're like sardines. Then lock the door. Let them shit and piss themselves all night.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 9 2011, 8:50 PM BST

That's why water cannon are so effective.

Has a single canister of tear gas been fired or truncheon been swung? No rubber bullets or water cannon? If I were a business owner I would be furious that after 3 days the cops were still treating this like it were a gathering of grannies peacefully protesting the price of tea.

Re water cannon.

There was this bloke on the wireless tonight who was some sort of expert on what happened in the NI riots.

He reckoned that water cannon were effective there because it was a face off between the police and the rioters with little movement on either side. He said that the rapid movement of these rioters would make them ineffective.

BTW, it seems that there was only one scheduled meeting in the Civic Centre this evening and it was canceled.

It was the Community Cohesion meeting!

We'll do what we always do in this country when it's all over. We'll have umpteen expensive inquiries that will last forever and at the end of all them we'll get some watered down legislation that has very little effect.