British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 458

Yes that was her suggestion, Big Society - we are asking communities to help and tell us who to arrest! Pitiful.

Quote: KLRiley @ August 9 2011, 7:41 AM BST

Morning all. Everyone still in one piece? Housed and access to functioning shops?

In one very tired piece and still housed (get in! No, really, get indoors, right now, and cower in corner) and nope, everything still boarded up, transport cancelled or massively delayed, cab companies not taking bookings for next week at least as not sending their staff out on these ere streets.

Read quote from Rt Rev Bishop saying Hackney apocalyptic- so nice it wasn't just me being melodramatic! And he's proper religious, must have been even more scared than everyone else

Quote: Marc P @ August 9 2011, 9:28 AM BST

Is there a race issue going on with the rioting? Nobody seems to have mentioned it if there is?

Yes - first one to Currys gets the 42" plasma.

Quote: Badge @ August 9 2011, 9:32 AM BST

Yes - first one to Currys gets the 42" plasma.

:O

Quote: AJGO @ August 9 2011, 9:31 AM BST

In one very tired piece and still housed (get in! No, really, get indoors, right now, and cower in corner) and nope, everything still boarded up, transport cancelled or massively delayed, cab companies not taking bookings for next week at least as not sending their staff out on these ere streets.

Read quote from Rt Rev Bishop saying Hackney apocalyptic- so nice it wasn't just me being melodramatic! And he's proper religious, must have been even more scared than everyone else

Blimey AJGO, terrible for you and everyone. Feels like I am living in a different country up here. Maybe I am :(

Is there a race issue going on with the rioting? Nobody seems to have mentioned it if there is?

Doesn't seem to be, I heard that it's mostly young white males turning up to other areas to join in, but could be skewed to look like a race issue if someone wanted to do so just because proportionally black people in this country live more in poor areas than rich ones, so there will be a high percentage of black kids involved because that's representative (the ethnicity, not the violence) of some of these communities

I heard that an Iceland had been targeted.

These folks have got to be desperate.

Quote: bigfella @ August 9 2011, 9:38 AM BST

If I have been deprived of my pack of Fruit Clubs for a quid, I will be getting very angry

Don't worry someone will be selling them for 50p on the streets!

Well, greed, inequality and unfairness are definite factors here, being exploited by the most disaffected and/or the most lawless in these inner city areas. Banks were targeted again and McDonalds. With many in these areas feeling the recession more than most of us, there has to be some questioning of the fairness of some policies, seemingly penalising the poor for the greed and excesses of the wealthy. This has caused seething resentment. And it's being exploited by the criminal faction.

The rabidly consumerist ideologies have pervaded society and made possesions the main focus of many people's lives. When a very large sector of society see themselves as being excluded from having these legally, then they do all they can to take them illegally, with selling drugs, theft and robbery and now looting. Marx warned this anarchy would ultimately happen, then Powell warned this social turmoil would happen. We didn't listen to either and now it's too late. :(

Nick Clegg predicted rioting if the Tories got in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v​=YItK1izQIwo&feature=player_em​bedded

Quote: bigfella @ August 9 2011, 9:38 AM BST

They defaulted on their loans the swines!

Darcus Howe on BBC now making things worse. Twat.

Of course there is. Very much so. It started in Tottenham, spread to Brixton, Hackney, Peckham, Clapham, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol!!!! It's not being talked about YET because everyone's so flipping petrified of Political Correctness and being branded a racist. I'm sure it's even partly the reason for the Police's apparent weakness at many of the scenes. It has to be looked at, at least.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 9 2011, 9:51 AM BST

Darcus Howe on BBC now making things worse. Twat.

I don't think he is going to get another live TV interview in the near future!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 9 2011, 9:44 AM BST

Well, greed, inequality and unfairness are definite factors here, being exploited by the most disaffected and/or the most lawless in these inner city areas. Banks were targeted again and McDonalds. With many in these areas feeling the recession more than most of us, there has to be some questioning of the fairness of some policies, seemingly penalising the poor for the greed and excesses of the wealthy. This has caused seething resentment. And it's being exploited by the criminal faction.

The rabidly consumerist ideologies have pervaded society and made possesions the main focus of many people's lives. When a very large sector of society see themselves as being excluded from having these legally, then they do all they can to take them illegally, with selling drugs, theft and robbery and now looting. Marx warned this anarchy would ultimately happen, then Powell warned this social turmoil would happen. We didn't listen to either and now it's too late. :(

All very true, except there's plenty of people who struggle to pay for food and wouldn't damage a commercial premises, let alone someone else's livelihood or home, in a million years. Being brought up with empathy for others costs nothing.
But yes, we need to look at why so many of these people are lacking that