British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 430

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 6 2011, 12:20 PM BST

Maybe these states should just have a lot more visible armed police to deter gun crime.

All cops are armed and there are LOTS of them on the streets. Thankfully, most of the gun crime in every state is gangster vs. gangster and doesn't affect most of us. Citizens in every state can legally keep firearms in their homes so the biggest problem is the occasional carjacker or mugger, against which they have no effective method of defence.

Polar bears are an endangered species with enough on their plate without rich twits bumbling about in their habitat. By all means go camping, just keep away from the bears.

Quote: zooo @ August 6 2011, 12:25 PM BST

You are for some reason comparing a pet to a wild polar bear.

They're all just animals acting on instinct.

Let's not forget that the bear was killed while was in the process of killing a bunch of kids. I'm an animal lover but I'm quite sure that killing the bear was better than letting all those kids die.

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2011, 12:28 PM BST

By all means go camping, just keep away from the bears.

I'm pretty sure that group of campers fully intended to stay away from bears. It was the bear that decided to seek them out.

In that situation, of course once you're there, you will do what you can to stop being eaten. Obviously.

But I'm saying they shouldn't have been there in the first place. This planet doesn't belong to humans, sometimes we are the ones trespassing on animals' territory and we should f**k off out.

It's unfortunate that an endangered animal had to die because a bunch of idiots decided they really must go camping.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 12:35 PM BST

I'm pretty sure that group of campers fully intended to stay away from bears. It was the bear that decided to seek them out.

They knew perfectly well that the bears were there. They should have camped elsewhere.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 12:35 PM BST

They're all just animals acting on instinct. Let's not forget that the bear was killed while was in the processof killing a bunch of kids. I'm an animal lover but I'm quite sure that killing the bear was better than letting all those kids die.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: zooo @ August 6 2011, 12:37 PM BST

But I'm saying they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Then as I said earlier, you've decided that the majority of the planet should be off-limits to human beings as there are dangerous creatures on almost every inch of it.

The campers did everything right: they tried to avoid bears, they set up trip wires (which failed for some reason) and they were armed in the event of an attack. It's unfortunate that a bear was killed but it's far more unfortunate that a human was killed and several others were mauled.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Then as I said earlier, you've decided that the majority of the planet should be off-limits to human beings as there are dangerous creatures on almost every inch of it.

We do get everywhere and tend to ruin thing; why not have some bits free of our dirty fingers and boots? :D

Those campers were just posh gangbangers who had invaded the bears home and the bear was exercising his right to protect himself and his bear family.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 6 2011, 12:50 PM BST

We do get everywhere and tend to ruin thing; why not have some bits free of our dirty fingers and boots? :D

There are beautiful places on the planet that need to be seen to be fully appreciated. The golden rule of camping is "take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints." Most campers follow the rules and avoid interacting with dangerous animals. Sometimes it happens, however, and I always side with the humans as long as they weren't taunting or harassing the animals.

Plus you're gun-happy.

Quote: zooo @ August 6 2011, 12:59 PM BST

Plus you're gun-happy.

To be honest, I'd rather be armed with a flame thrower if I found myself confronted by an angry polar bear.

I'd prefer some fish and a suit of armour.

I'd go limp.

I'd tell him I tasted horrible.

An animal that can crush a walrus' skull with its jaws and decapitate a seal with a single swipe of its paw would make short work of a suit of armor.