British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 399

Quote: sootyj @ June 21 2011, 8:43 PM BST

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-08-23-1Aforthood23_CV_N.htm

Puts another angle on it.

Stunning figures but not surprising at all, the Army and those who are ex services are a very vunerable group.

Quote: DaButt @ June 21 2011, 7:20 PM BST

I've never heard that one. Is it an India thing?

Toatally without the aid of Google, I think it refers to a hospital in India where the Great White Empress sent some of her subjects who 'had been out in the sun too long'.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 21 2011, 8:19 PM BST

True, that would be irresponsible, but the Government can only work with what they know about the person, so the majority who legally own guns and misuse them would be unknown to services and have no known history of mental illness. There are laws in place to stop guns getting into the wrong hands yet there is still so much gun crime...something wrong somewhere in that whole setup...I'm flummoxed if I know.

I believe that institutions are supposed to report people who have been committed and the same goes with cops.

The problem with the laws is that 98% of the laws we need have been in place for hundreds of years and have been proven to be sound. But subsequent politicians keep adding on useless layers of laws that constrain the rights of law-abiding citizens while the criminals just shrug their shoulders and laugh at the new laws.

California bans magazines with more than 10 rounds so Joe Average can't buy one because he wants to stay within the law, but Joe Criminal doesn't care because he's carrying illegally in the first place. The same goes for so-called "assault" rifles. Shooting up a crowd is already illegal but we've taken away an entire class of firearm in some states because they look scary and people seem to think their only purpose is to massacre innocents.

Quote: sootyj @ June 21 2011, 8:43 PM BST

Puts another angle on it.

No sure what that has to do with carrying a concealed weapon.

Some points to consider:

1) War f**ks some people up. Always has and always will.

2) The suicide rate for military members is lower than that of civilians of the same age group.

3) The deployments are worse than the fighting for a lot of the troops. They're young and often married with children and their fledgling marriages and relationships have a difficult time surviving yearlong deployments. Ask any GI if he'd rather get shot at or receive a Dear John letter from his wife/girlfriend while he's 8,000 miles away. I saw it happen a lot when I was in uniform. Hell, my own marriage didn't withstand 2 months in Panama in peacetime.

Quote: DaButt @ June 21 2011, 8:57 PM BST

The problem with the laws is that 98% of the laws we need have been in place for hundreds of years and have been proven to be sound. But subsequent politicians keep adding on useless layers of laws that constrain the rights of law-abiding citizens while the criminals just shrug their shoulders and laugh at the new laws.

Yeah, that's screwed up, the squeeze is always put on the average Joe, same even with everyday things like having to pay higher car insurance premiums if you happen to live in a higher than average crime area...that doesn't of course hit the plebs who don't bother with trivialities such as tax and insurance Angry

Quote: DaButt @ June 21 2011, 9:09 PM BST

Some points to consider:

1) War f**ks some people up. Always has and always will.

2) The suicide rate for military members is lower than that of civilians of the same age group.

3) The deployments are worse than the fighting for a lot of the troops. They're young and often married with children and their fledgling marriages and relationships have a difficult time surviving yearlong deployments. Ask any GI if he'd rather get shot at or receive a Dear John letter from his wife/girlfriend while he's 8,000 miles away. I saw it happen a lot when I was in uniform. Hell, my own marriage didn't withstand 2 months in Panama in peacetime.

Far simpler.

Too mentally ill to have a concealed firearm.

Not to mentally ill to patrol someone else's country with an unconcealed assault rifle.

Quote: sootyj @ June 21 2011, 10:09 PM BST

Too mentally ill to have a concealed firearm.

Not to mentally ill to patrol someone else's country with an unconcealed assault rifle.

Not even close. There's a difference between mandatory checkups that everyone gets upon returning from combat and batshit insane (there's another clinical term for you.)

The military has the strictest gun rules around. Anyone who is deemed mentally unfit won't be allowed to carry a weapon or deploy. They weed those guys out early and often.

And guess what? You can't carry a concealed weapon on a military base and personal weapons are locked up in an armory. That's how the Islamist terrorist doctor managed to murder so many people on Fort Hood.

Did you read the link?

You couldn't drive a milkfloat if you were taking some of the meds yo're frontline troops are on

You don't see many milkfloats nowadays. Which is a shame. They were useless yet affable.

http://www.expressandstar.com/uk/uk-news/2011/06/22/agoraphobic-lender-escapes-trial/

Ah well, that's all right then . . . .

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 22 2011, 9:44 AM BST

http://www.expressandstar.com/uk/uk-news/2011/06/22/agoraphobic-lender-escapes-trial/

Ah well, that's all right then . . . .

Someone should have shown him how to use a computer, then he could have spent LOADS of money without ever leaving the house.

How is he spending so little? I think the Express and Star maybe 2massaging" the figures by not counting his HB in his outgoing, but counting it in his income.

Plus he seems to have just been a nice guy helping his friends out.

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2011, 12:23 PM BST

Plus he seems to have just been a nice guy helping his friends out.

Agree, doesn't look like he set out to decieve anyone.

I agree he don't seem Premiership when it comes to villans but it was more the principle of the thing that seemed odd.

An agoraphobic has escaped trial because he is scared to leave his house.

Prosecutors abandoned their case as they could find no practical way to hold a trial.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 22 2011, 1:43 PM BST

I agree he don't seem Premiership when it comes to villans but it was more the principle of the thing that seemed odd.

Doesn't that sort of thing happen a lot, that the defendant is declared to be unfit to stand trial?

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 22 2011, 1:43 PM BST

An agoraphobic has escaped trial because he is scared to leave his house.

Prosecutors abandoned their case as they could find no practical way to hold a trial.

Most often it's crims who are too fat to go to prison because they can't fit them in a cell.

Women recently avoiding trial as she couldn't fit in a stand at the court.

And in the US death row felons have tried to get to fat fit in the electric chair (they simply made said chair bigger)