British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 380

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 27 2011, 1:40 PM BST

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/05/27/jail-warning-for-kitten-killer-in-drunken-row/

Now, about that referendum on the restoration of capital punishment . . . .

Not nice but the kitten's owner was also subject to an assualt and that gets minimal mention.

It was the side bar that made the eyes water though - "Police officer subject to probe." :S

Quote: KLRiley @ May 27 2011, 4:33 PM BST

Not nice but the kitten's owner was also subject to an assualt and that gets minimal mention.

I haven't read it but I suspect the kittens owner brought the kittens killer into the kittens life. So the kittens owner is responsible for its death and deserves a good thrashing for hanging around with such vermin.

Sharon Shoosmith gets much more flattering photos now that she has won her appeal then when she was 'the person' behind the Baby P fiasco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13570959

However, this doesn't mean that she wasn't culpable. It means that the procedure used to sack her was unfair. That is all.

Innocent till probably guilty eh?

She's guilty and probably would have stayed guilty but Ed Balls struck his two penneth in and will probably cost the Council £2.5 in damages because of a duff procedure. However, I'd like to think that people who work in social services will bear in mind that this is a technical acquittal and continue to not employ her.

Quote: chipolata @ May 27 2011, 4:28 PM BST

Janet Brown's died. Comedienne best known for her Margaret Thatcher impression.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391562/Margaret-Thatcher-impersonator-comedienne-actress-Janet-Brown-dies.html

I refuse to click on that because the link sounds too distressing.

Quote: KLRiley @ May 27 2011, 7:06 PM BST

She's guilty and probably would have stayed guilty but Ed Balls struck his two penneth in and will probably cost the Council £2.5 in damages because of a duff procedure. However, I'd like to think that people who work in social services will bear in mind that this is a technical acquittal and continue to not employ her.

She was entitled to a fair hearing.

People would do very well to observe that it's the perfect storm of individualised budgets, fear of complaints and swinging cuts (including under Labour) not one over worked (and perhaps incompetent) senior manager that make these tragedies happen.

Even then they are blessedly rare.

Social workers are society's emotional binmen and society is good at criticising them for not dealing successfully with all the stuff society doesn't want to know about.

Too bloody true

still it's better than being patronised like soldiers or nurses

Oh sootyj! Our first fight.

Not disagreeing over the point that she was entitled to a fair hearing. Rules of natural justice. However, she was the manager of that department. The bucks stops with her. If the actual number of social workers on the ground wasn't sufficient to ensure that the job was being done competently, then as a manager she bears some of the responsibility for the staffing along with those who control the budgets and recruitment process. That's what you get to be a manager for. That's why you get paid more than the people on the ground who have to try to cope with the stuff that is going on. Yes this was a revolting situation in which the failings were legion by many departments but still someone was responsible at the end of the day and that was her.

Anyway that wasn't my original point. My original point was how much the media had changed their tune now that she has won her case, albeit on a technicality.

KL well that's fantastic except then you get the Orkney child abuse scandal. Grab all the kids because something might be happening.

And none abused kids get abused in chidrens homes.

Perhaps a final warning, perhaps a sacking. But not sacked on the whim of some ignorant political hack.

nb Sharon Shoesmith did rather well on Today.

I do hope Balls does the decent thing and resigns, before killing himself in an amusing David Carradine danger wank.

Quite. Balls really did live up to his name and buried deep in the football hysteria which is what R5 is calling news today there was a vague reference to Balls being completely unrepentent. When I get the chance I will read the interview with Shoosmith in Graun but forgive me for being a tad half arsed about this as I've been told some interesting information regarding the redundancy process to which I am being subjected.

You getting sacked? Ouch!

Had that happen to me a couple of years ago my nprojects funding just vanished.

Crap, isn't it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/teenage-diving-champ-daleys-father-dies-cancer-120356962.html
:(