British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 365

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 23 2011, 10:28 PM BST

Yeah, if only The People Of The Internet had been there with their tapping fingers, instead of those idiots in their stupid boat, she surely would have been saved! They would have Tweeted her safely to shore...

The coastguard are using giant hairy wild pigs?

Not boats!

I blame the EU.

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2011, 10:30 PM BST

FINE. I HOPE ALL YOUR GRANNIES GET CHUCKED IN THE SEA. THEN WE'LL SEE HOW BLIMMIN' FORGIVING YOU ARE TO THE CACKHANDED TOSSERS.

*chucks zooo into the sea*

*writes angry blog urging action from "the authorities" to rescue zooo*

*spends hours idly watching video of various cats dancing to Hip 2 B Square by Huey Lewis and The News, on YouTube*

*remembers that zooo is still in the sea (eventually)*

*writes follow-up blog blaming "those idiots" for letting zooo drown*

:D

*DMs Stephen Fry on Twitter, asking him to RT link to #TheyFailedZooo website, where people can leave ill-informed comments about the case and their mawkish tributes about someone they hadn't heard of until about 3 hours ago*

*cracks tasteless "zooo dead" joke on BCG but is quoted before can delete it*

Unimpressed

Alright, can we stop talking about me being dead now, please. Teary

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 11:15 PM BST

OK how about

Playwright reckons Emma Thompson nicked his script

It seems there's always someone trying to claim they've had their idea/script ripped off.

RIIP
Zooo

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2011, 11:08 PM BST

Oh sorry
Live long & prosper

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 23 2011, 11:26 PM BST

Live long & prosper

That's better.

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 11:15 PM BST

OK how about

Playwright reckons Emma Thompson nicked his script

Well that was rather interesting.
I must say I think at the point they offered him upwards of £100,000 and a massive writer's credit he should have taken it and ran.

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 11:29 PM BST

Yeah, but most of them don't get offered a six-figure sum to settle and the offer of a shared writing credit.

True, it was only because he turned down such an offer that Tim Walker is still legally free to rage at Two Pints.

It must be (rightly) much harder to prove that someone has ripped-off "your" idea when "your" idea is to write something based on historical fact. If the guy can prove that key elements and themes of his script have been directly used, then fair enough. But otherwise, when it comes to an actual person's life you're dramatizing, the fact that someone else has written about the same person is rather just bad/tough luck. Who knows, his screenplay may well have influenced the decision of Emma Thompson (& hubby) to think that writing about this person may be a good idea. However, proving that is another thing entirely.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 23 2011, 11:30 PM BST

True, it was only because he turned down such an offer that Tim Walker is still legally free to rage at Two Pints.

:D

Indeed. Seems rather dodgy though.

But I still love you, Emma. :)
I'd like her to be my posh aunt.

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2011, 11:08 PM BST

Great news! Though, thinking about it, I've yet to see #zoooisnotdead trending on Twitter, so I can't completely believe that you're alive and well yet. Sorry.

The BBC were going to swop Matt Smith with David Tenant as a tribute

Thank goodness we found you were alive in time to stop it