British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 314

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:57 AM GMT

They do in bad British sitcoms. :)

Yeah, that's the only place I hear them say it. :)
And once on Friends.

I like the American pronunciation of pasta.
Paaahhhhsta.
Hee.

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 1:00 AM GMT

I like the American pronunciation of pasta.
Paaahhhhsta.
Hee.

That's how the Italians I've known have said it.

Yeah but you're not Italian. ;)

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 1:16 AM GMT

Yeah but you're not Italian. ;)

It's a good thing my grandfather isn't around to hear you say that.

http://tinyurl.com/4lmhvhg

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 1:24 AM GMT

It's a good thing my grandfather isn't around to hear you say that.

Why, is he a Chortle user then? Angry

Oh...

Apologies. :(

Too true. I imagine every member of your family packing heat.

;)

I have some Italian in my family somewhere. I think he was called Silvario.

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 1:27 AM GMT

Too true. I imagine every member of your family packing heat.

As far as I know, I'm the only member of my family with a gun. My dad might have an old rifle or something in closest.

My grandfather packed his heat in his fists. He was a former professional boxer and did a little boxing in the Navy during WWII. There's a story here:

http://tinyurl.com/4m5htkv

My grandad boxed in the navy tooo!

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 1:32 AM GMT

My grandad boxed in the navy tooo!

Maybe he was the guy that my grandfather boxed in Ceylon!

A "guy" or "some tea"? ;)

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 1:37 AM GMT

Maybe he was the guy that my grandfather boxed in Ceylon!

Haha! I'm not sure if they would have been the same age, but my great grandad boxed too, so between them there's a chance. ;)

Let's have a rematch. *puts up weak fists*

"As we were pulling into Ceylon, we did not know they were holding a tournament between the servicemen and the Ceylonese, who at the time were 'YMCA' trained. Somewhere along the line, Lt. 'Bosco' Larkin received word from the USS CALIFORNIA or USS TENNESSEE that they were holding a tournament in Ceylon and was asked if they had anyone aboard ship that could participate. That is how I got into the tournament. The night of the fight I had a light lunch with a big bowl of ice cream. We left the ship and arrived at the arena and my opponent was an English First Sergeant who was in the Royal Air Force. As my turn came to fight we entered the ring and as I looked around the ringside I saw nothing but gold braid (officers). So, they announced our names, we went to our corners, the bell rang and we came out fighting in Round 1. As the fight proceeded, Round 1 was all mine. Answering the bell in Round 2, I went to throw a right hook and I felt a sharp pain in my right side and my arm went down. I tried to continue fighting and the referee asked me what was the matter and I told him. He went to my corner, told Lt. Larkin and there they stopped the fight. I lost by a TKO. If it wasn't' for that, the fight would have been mine. Not to take anything away from the Englishman - he was a big 225 pounds of solid muscle. He was a good fighter. That's my story and that's how it happened."

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 1:40 AM GMT

Haha! I'm not sure if they would have been the same age

I forget that you're a mere baby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12238387

Oh yeah, total unconfined joy judging by that video still...

It's normal for people to pronounce foreign words differently. We don't say "Par-ee", we say " Par-is". You sound pretentious if you say 'Par-ee'.

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 12:26 AM GMT

The last time I heard a BBC presenter pronounce Tucson she was waaay off. The same goes for Maryland and I don't think I've ever heard a Brit pronounce Las Vegas properly. Does that mean they're stupid or are they just unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation?

You're getting a bit touchy now - all nationalities often have difficulties with some 'foreign' pronunciations. However, my point was that we don't expect our written press to give us a phonetic aid next to each example of, possible subjectgive, language.

Chillax dude!

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 12:26 AM GMT

The last time I heard a BBC presenter pronounce Tucson she was waaay off. The same goes for Maryland and I don't think I've ever heard a Brit pronounce Las Vegas properly. Does that mean they're stupid or are they just unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation?

Not sure Leevils joke was missed by you - but I appreciated it.

And....saying brits can't pronounce Las Vegas properly - yet implying that americans can. funny that - I mean with it being a spanish name.

Hasta luego.