British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 313

In the six months since it launched Exotic Taco Wednesdays, Boca Tacos y Tequila has served up python, alligator, elk, kangaroo and rattlesnake.

Frog legs, turtle, duck and Rocky Mountain oysters have also made appearances.

"We've done just about anything we can get our hands on," said owner Bryan Mazon. "Every Wednesday we do something a little bit different."

Last week he announced on Boca's Facebook page that the UA-area taco shop was accepting prepaid orders for African lion, to be served on Feb. 16.

http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/dining/article_ca33ed71-b6c4-5357-8c7f-e15a91db995d.html

Just shows how f**ked up our stateside cousins can be!

Just clicked the link and looked round the 'Arizona Daily Star' (no tits :()...anyway click on the TV page link and see just how the publication estimate the intelligence of its readership to be.

http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/television/

scroll down to Ricky jur-VAYS article.

NBC says Ricky Gervais (jur-VAYS') will make a cameo appearance on "The Office" next week, reprising the role he played in the original British version that he helped create.

And here's his opening monologue at the Golden Globes this week - funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA

Quote: Juan Kerr @ January 20 2011, 8:03 PM GMT

click on the TV page link and see just how the publication estimate the intelligence of its readership to be.

What's wrong with explaining how to pronounce an unusual name, especially when a large percentage (perhaps a majority) of the readership doesn't speak English as its primary language?

Quote: DaButt @ January 20 2011, 8:25 PM GMT

What's wrong with explaining how to pronounce an unusual name, especially when a large percentage (perhaps a majority) of the readership doesn't speak English as its primary language?

Unusual name? It's pretty easy to work out the pronounciation anyway. We don't do it over here - and last time I checked we had quite a few people who don't speak English as a primary language! In any event Gervaise has French origins - so it should therefore, by your reckoning, be explained to us all anyway.

Oh what fun reading a newspaper would be if any word of over 3 letters was, literally, spelt out phonetically to us.

By the way, jer-VAYS says it as it is doesn't he? A few bruised Hollywood egos there at The Globes.

Ricky pronounces it 'aze', I think.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2011, 10:38 PM GMT

Sorry zooo - deleted my post before you replied as I realised I was talking out of my ais once again.

Youuu!
*shakes fist*

Quote: Juan Kerr @ January 20 2011, 10:33 PM GMT

Unusual name? It's pretty easy to work out the pronounciation anyway.

The last time I heard a BBC presenter pronounce Tucson she was waaay off. The same goes for Maryland and I don't think I've ever heard a Brit pronounce Las Vegas properly. Does that mean they're stupid or are they just unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation?

Loss-Vegish?

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 12:26 AM GMT

The last time I heard a BBC presenter pronounce Tucson she was waaay off. The same goes for Maryland and I don't think I've ever heard a Brit pronounce Las Vegas properly. Does that mean they're stupid or are they just unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation?

And what makes you think you Americans are pronouncing these place names correctly? Let's face it, you struggle even at "potato"... Unimpressed

Quote: Leevil @ January 21 2011, 12:30 AM GMT

Loss-Vegish?

Closer than usual. Lose the slur, Mr. Connery.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 12:33 AM GMT

And what makes you think you Americans are pronouncing these place names correctly?

It's our friends to the south who taught us how to say them correctly. Except there's a town near here named Blanco and its official pronunciation appears to be Blank-o.

I like it when Americans say 'lager'.
I can't pinpoint how they say it wrong, but it doesn't work at all.

When Americans say Maryland it sounds the same as when they say Marilyn. Although I doubt it sounds the same to them.

Twot. What's that all aboot?

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2011, 12:51 AM GMT

I like it when Americans say 'lager'.
I can't pinpoint how they say it wrong, but it doesn't work at all.

It's always sounded the same as the British pronunciation to me but the main difference is that Americans never say the word. They just say "beer." An American would never order a lager.

When Americans say Maryland it sounds the same as when they say Marilyn. Although I doubt it sounds the same to them.

There's always a slight D pronounced at the end as if they were saying "Marilynd."

Quote: DaButt @ January 21 2011, 12:56 AM GMT

An American would never order a lager.

They do in bad British sitcoms. :)

Quote: Leevil @ January 21 2011, 12:53 AM GMT

Twot. What's that all abut?

There's a lot of inconsistency in the "a" vowel sounds between the two cultures.

Twat, Las and Last follow no rhyme nor reason.