British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 311

Quote: sootyj @ January 16 2011, 7:28 PM GMT

Any thoughts on student getting 29 months for chucking a fire extinguisher off a building

Firstly, the guy acted recklessly, and deserved punishing, however...
the sentence was supposed to 'send out a message', but the message I got was that there's no fair justice for individuals, just arbitrary sentencing to suit the state's agenda. The sentence was absurd; reckless drivers who actually kill people get shorter sentences than this.

It's ironic that the state should decide to persecute this man so badly, considering he was involved in protesting against the state persecuting students like him.

It is excessive especially for a first offence.

The idiot got what he deserved, but if dimwitted people want to make a martyr out of him, go ahead.

Quote: Nogget @ January 17 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

Firstly, the guy acted recklessly, and deserved punishing, however...
the sentence was supposed to 'send out a message', but the message I got was that there's no fair justice for individuals, just arbitrary sentencing to suit the state's agenda. The sentence was absurd; reckless drivers who actually kill people get shorter sentences than this.

It's ironic that the state should decide to persecute this man so badly, considering he was involved in protesting against the state persecuting students like him.

Maybe it's not that his sentence is too long but that others are too short.

You really really don't like Roosters do you?

Good start for this celebrity baby, straight onto the front of OK! magazine. It's being treated more like a fashion accessory than a human.

Quote: keewik @ January 17 2011, 5:28 PM GMT

Maybe it's not that his sentence is too long but that others are too short.

Either way, it's definitely disproportionate.

Sir Neville Marriner was on the radio yesterday telling us about how he dropped a flour bomb on a London Bus from his Sopwith Camel. He lamented the fact that he'd probably have been locked up if he'd done that these days. I'm sure there must be some sort of point to be made here...

Quote: Nogget @ January 18 2011, 9:26 AM GMT

Either way, it's definitely disproportionate. Sir Neville Marriner was on the radio yesterday telling us about how he dropped a flour bomb on a London Bus from his Sopwith Camel. He lamented the fact that he'd probably have been locked up if he'd done that these days. I'm sure there must be some sort of point to be made here...

Drop a fire extinguisher on somebody's head you kill them. Drop a flour bomb on their head you ruin their suit. There's no comparison.

You travel on a bus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12212240

The minimum pricing would work out at 38p for a can of weak lager and £10.71 for a litre bottle of vodka.

I'd love to know where you can get a litre of vodka for £10.71.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 18 2011, 11:24 AM GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12212240

I'd love to know where you can get a litre of vodka for £10.71.

You could probably get a ltire of Glenn's (The Exciting Vodka) for a tenner. It tastes like nail varnish remover though.

Take a time machine to Kwiksave

I do like the idea of an golden era of hoodies in biplanes.

Probably flying round and round the London Aerodrome playing Noel Coward ditties on their gramophones.

Quote: Nogget @ January 18 2011, 9:26 AM GMT

Good start for this celebrity baby, straight onto the front of OK! magazine. It's being treated more like a fashion accessory than a human.

Just like 50% of other celebrities' babies!

Elton John looks like a puppet.

Lol. I wouldn't really want him for a dad (apart from all the money). The other one seems quite nice and sensible though.