British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 297

Quote: chipolata @ January 11 2011, 10:34 AM GMT

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken as long as this for a Tea Party nut to run amok with a gun.

He's a nut alright, but he's no Tea Party member. Described by his friends as a liberal, pot-smoking, Bush/religion/Iraq-war-hater, he doesn't exactly fit into the Tea Paty demographic but, as a prominent member of the Obama administration famously said, "never let a good crisis go to waste."

It's clear from evidence gathered from the shooter's home that he's had a beef with Giffords since 2007 and that's long before anyone knew who Sarah Palin was.

Quote: DaButt @ January 11 2011, 1:41 PM GMT

a liberal, pot-smoking, Bush/religion/Iraq-war-hater,

If he wasn't a kill crazy mentalist, he wouldn't sound so bad!

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2011, 9:34 PM GMT

Sprouts are delish.

But it's cruel to eat those baby cabbages before they have 'had a life'

:O Pleased

They can have a life... IN MY TUMMY.

Our pathetic president does it again. Angry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346006/Barack-Obama-declares-France-biggest-ally-blow-Special-Relationship-Britain.html

Quote: zooo @ January 11 2011, 2:21 PM GMT

They can have a life... IN MY TUMMY.

'Zooo gives birth to baby cabbage - Aaron phones The Jeremy Kyle Show demanding DNA and lie detector results!'

Quote: DaButt @ January 12 2011, 12:23 AM GMT

Our pathetic president does it again. Angry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346006/Barack-Obama-declares-France-biggest-ally-blow-Special-Relationship-Britain.html

The Guardian reports it differently:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jan/12/obama-praises-sarkozy-no-need-to-panic

1 No greater than means that there can be equal. I suspect most US Presidents views France, Germany, UK etc as Europe.

2 The special relationship is embarassing. It makes us sound like a weepy girlfriend with a caddish boyfriend

3 Is this the best they can come up? Good grief!

Quote: DaButt @ January 11 2011, 1:41 PM GMT

He's a nut alright, but he's no Tea Party member. Described by his friends as a liberal, pot-smoking, Bush/religion/Iraq-war-hater, he doesn't exactly fit into the Tea Paty demographic but, as a prominent member of the Obama administration famously said, "never let a good crisis go to waste."

It's clear from evidence gathered from the shooter's home that he's had a beef with Giffords since 2007 and that's long before anyone knew who Sarah Palin was.

No he isn't a Tea Party member, do they even have members? Nor does he neccasairly share their nuanced views on taxation.

However creating an air of paranoia and referring to "reloading" "second ammendment solutions" eg the use of guns in a political arena. Is catnip to these maladjusted individuals. And shows a demented lack of responsibility in chasing votes that in any real democracy would prevent you sweeping out the polling booths.

That the guy who carried out this attack had the same gun as the IDF used on the flotilla raid. But was considered too dangerous to go to college?

Well if that's your democracy good for you.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2011, 8:27 AM GMT

That the guy who carried out this attack had the same gun as the IDF used on the flotilla raid. But was considered too dangerous to go to college?

Well if that's your democracy good for you.

Now now, as the late Bill Hicks pointed out on the subject of US gun laws...

"There is absolutely no link between owning a gun and shooting someone, and not owning a gun and not shooting someone - and you'd have to be a fool and a communist to think there is."

I've been a supporter of Obama all the way (as have most peeps it seems outside the US) but this is plainly stupid or is it? It just makes you think is this deliberate. He is not a stupid man. Is Obama who didn't sign up for the Afghan and Iraq conflicts looking to distance himself from them by firstly distancing himself from his closest military allies? Words in politics at this level are seldom random. He knew what would happen when he said this. Interesting.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to ally with us either.

Quote: roscoff @ January 13 2011, 2:42 PM GMT

this is plainly stupid or is it?

I don't think so, I think it was just flippancy. He meets the French President, and wants to say something nice. Sure it was ill-considered, if only because the right-wing press could (and did) seize upon it to make a mountain out of a molehill, but otherwise it's no biggie.

I suspect most US Presidents views France, Germany, UK etc as Europe.

Not at all. The UK has traditionally been a strong ally and close friend while we have been at war with Germany and Italy within the last century and the French are often aloof and, well, French.

That the guy who carried out this attack had the same gun as the IDF used on the flotilla raid.

What an odd thing to say. What point are you trying to make?

France and Britain have pretty much level pegged in supporting your wars etc,

Quote: roscoff @ January 13 2011, 2:42 PM GMT

Is Obama who didn't sign up for the Afghan and Iraq conflicts looking to distance himself from them by firstly distancing himself from his closest military allies?

Obama has been a strong supporter of the war in Afghanistan since the very beginning. His stance against the war in Iraq is clear but that war is finished. To push away from our allies while conceding to our adversaries is dangerous and ill-advised.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2011, 3:14 PM GMT

France and Britain have pretty much level pegged in supporting your wars etc,

Not at all.