British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,839

Quote: a plate @ 28th August 2024, 8:02 PM

Shakespeare said "worser"! In the 15th Century! Not even you're that old to have invented the word before him! 😉

Wot?! Me and Shaky were great drinking pals, and I gave him lots of plots

Starmer wants Europe to unite against Populism. Surely Populism is Democracy. What is Popular. So he opposes it!

The King is piping up now calling some of his subjects far-right thugs.
Go tell it to your plants your highness.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th August 2024, 7:12 AM

Starmer wants Europe to unite against Populism. Surely Populism is Democracy. What is Popular. So he opposes it!

Populism and popular aren't the same.

That's Wetherspoons f**ked then.
Go past any Wether's and the door area is filled with folk sparking up.

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th August 2024, 8:58 AM

Populism and popular aren't the same.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

Cambridge dictionary definition of populism: political ideas and activities that are intended to get the support of ordinary people by giving them what they want.

Much like giving an inflation-busting rise to the train drivers.

It was on the news this morning about whether these new non-smoking laws will affect the pub trade further, with them saying they are not sure if it was because of the smoking ban in 2007 that pubs declined, saying there could be "other factors"

Oh for f**k's sake, f**k off. OF COURSE it was the decline of pubs - I stopped going in them for sure, and now haven't smoked or had a drink for 8 years, so some good came of it.

But to sweep it under the carpet and say it didn't affect pubs is living, as usual, in a fool's paradise.

There were plenty of pubs that had "Smoking Rooms" and in fact after the ban ironically a number of them still had these signs set into the windows - so what was the matter with that. Then everyone is happy.

But no Nanny says you will NOT have choice. gets down off soap-box)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th August 2024, 9:32 AM

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

Cambridge dictionary definition of populism: political ideas and activities that are intended to get the support of ordinary people by giving them what they want.

Much like giving an inflation-busting rise to the train drivers.

Words mean what the majority of people take them to mean.
Politically speaking, Populism, whether from the left or the right, is defined as taking a stance that seeks to divide - 'the people' against the perceived 'elites'.
Currently, in Europe, it tends to come from the right and is often accompanied by by some form of Nationalism.
But they can come from the Left - Corbyn's "For the many, not the few" was criticised for having a whiff of Populism about it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th August 2024, 9:17 AM

That's Wetherspoons f**ked then.
Go past any Wether's and the door area is filled with folk sparking up.

On the plus side, Nigel Farage has said he'll never got to the pub again if the ban goes through.
So it literally will be a breath of fresh air.

What's he done tp you?

Starmer removed a portrait of thatcher from Downing Street

Good man!

I hope he threw it on the fire

The same Thatcher he praised to the hilt in his pre election warm up?

Quote: lofthouse @ 27th August 2024, 4:03 PM

Liz Truss considered scrapping all cancer treatment on the NHS in a desperate bid to repair the damage caused by her disastrous economic policies, according to a new book.

The extraordinary claim is made in a new biography of Ms Truss by Sir Anthony Seldon.

Sir Anthony says a group of Ms Truss's Tory aides met to discuss the issue. One of her senior advisers, Alex Boyd, "was told that Truss and Kwarteng were thinking they could still sort out the black hole with severe cuts": "We've been told that they're looking at stopping cancer treatment on the NHS."

Mr Boyd's response was to ask "Is she being serious?" writes Sir Anthony, while other aides said she had "lost the plot".

Astonishing. The last government really was appalling.

The right's mantra STOP THE BOATS, the left's mantra STOP THE CIGS.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th August 2024, 8:08 AM

The right's mantra STOP THE BOATS, the left's mantra STOP THE CIGS.

The public's mantra last month: STOP THE TORIES!