British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,601

Culture Wars.
It's literally all they've got.

Paid my mortgage off years ago, thank heavens, but what with energy, food and now this, I really don't know how they think people are going to survive.

I doubt they care or if they ever cared, 13 years of power and look what they have done to the country,

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 22nd June 2023, 10:40 AM

I doubt they care or if they ever cared,

There's doubt?

I recall what Nick Clegg said during his coalition with these crooks...

" He said either Cameron or Osborne - "I honestly can't remember whom" - told him: "I don't understand why you keep going on about the need for more social housing - it just creates Labour voters."

Mr Clegg went on: "They saw housing as a petri dish for voters. Unbelievable."

Vermin

Interest rate up to 5%

Ouch!

Inflation stays high , government blames the BOE , "not our fault, its up to the BOE"

Inflation comes down, government says "see! We promised that WE would get Inflation down and WE have "

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd June 2023, 8:08 AM

"School that allowed pupil to identify as a cat facing investigation"

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/school-girl-identify-cat-investigation/

Not actually what happened.
"Identifying as a cat" was used as an example, in an ongoing and quite fraught discussion about sex and gender, by two pupils as something they might find unacceptable - a position they are entitled to take, as many of us might.
No child asked to be identified as a cat.
And the school didn't "allow" a pupil to identify as a cat.
Maybe the teacher was a bit sharp with the two girls arguing their point - who were clearly doing it to wind 'Miss' up as can be heard at the end of the tape.
Cut to mass outrage and pearl clutching.
And that, I'm afraid, is the news today.
Oh boy/cat.

A wax museum in San Antonio, Texas, was forced to remove its statue of former President Donald Trump because visitors kept attacking it.

Louis Tussaud's Waxworks transferred the statue from the gallery to a storage unit after the museum's guests repeatedly punched and scratched the figure, causing damage.

🤣

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th June 2023, 9:07 AM

I fear the reason they lost contact with that sub going down to view the Titanic is it imploded.

I hope I'm wrong, but they have until Thursday to find and recover it before their oxygen runs out, and if they are still alive, I can't imagine what mental state they are in.

Well, it's all over. None of the 5 would have even had time to say the first syllable of "There's a leak"
Bang! Squish.
The water pressure at 2Km down is about 5,800 pound per square inch, That's over twice the pressure that modern high-pressure aqualung tanks are filled to. In other words if you opened the valve on such a cylinder, even if full of air, the water would rush INWARDS until the cylinder was around half-full of water.

That sub wasn't certified, but the owners should have been!.

The sad Titan saga a sobering reminder that regulation is actually a good thing.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd June 2023, 2:40 AM

Well, it's all over. None of the 5 would have even had time to say the first syllable of "There's a leak"
Bang! Squish.

Yes, I've been following the live news broadcasts from the US Coastguard rescue centre in The States, from day one, and in yesterday's they wheeled the big brass out in the form of a Rear Admiral, who talked of finding the peculiar rear cone (put on to take more passengers!) and the front of the craft, along with "other debris", which I think may refer to bodies or bits of, but he wouldn't elaborate when pushed by a reporter about rescuing victims.

And another expert said, IF there was a pin prick in the hull (not that it would last long), the jet of water would have the same power as a laser and would slice anything in two instantly.

It all reminded me of the last documentary I watched on 9/11, when they interviewed an old boy who was being taken to safety by a fire officer, and he said he first off couldn't understand what these grey suits were flat on the ground in a pool of blood - they were the bodies of the jumpers of course, simply splattered on the road, and I presume the bodies in the Titan would have a similar fate, with approx. 40 pints of blood immediately squeezed out of the five men.

Here endeth the gore report

Cannot get my head round why they went down there.
Their only view of the Titanic would have been on a computer screen.
It's not like they were looking out of a window or anything.
It's like being dragged up to the top of Everest, locked in a Porta-Loo and handed a post-card of the summit.
Barmy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd June 2023, 10:15 AM

Their only view of the Titanic would have been on a computer screen.
It's not like they were looking out of a window or anything.

It did have a porthole window at the front, as do all this type of craft to view live, otherwise it would be pointless.

I wouldn't go on it or into space at any price - even if the paid me £200,000 - No thank you!

I stand corrected.
I got this from a radio interview with a previous 'submariner'.
I think on his trip visibilty was so poor they had to rely on a feed from a camera.
Still barmy!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd June 2023, 9:51 AM

Yes, I've been following the live news broadcasts from the US Coastguard rescue centre in The States, from day one, and in yesterday's they wheeled the big brass out in the form of a Rear Admiral, who talked of finding the peculiar rear cone (put on to take more passengers!) and the front of the craft, along with "other debris", which I think may refer to bodies or bits of, but he wouldn't elaborate when pushed by a reporter about rescuing victims.

And another expert said, IF there was a pin prick in the hull (not that it would last long), the jet of water would have the same power as a laser and would slice anything in two instantly.

It all reminded me of the last documentary I watched on 9/11, when they interviewed an old boy who was being taken to safety by a fire officer, and he said he first off couldn't understand what these grey suits were flat on the ground in a pool of blood - they were the bodies of the jumpers of course, simply splattered on the road, and I presume the bodies in the Titan would have a similar fate, with approx. 40 pints of blood immediately squeezed out of the five men.

Here endeth the gore report

Shapes-cutting using high pressure water jets is a known & used industrial technique.

Actually in deep submarine accidents like this, I suspect that a persons blood would not be squeezed out. The whole body would collapse inwards, reducing any air or other gas spaces to near zero size.

Back in the 70's I was lucky enough to be invited with my sub-aqua club colleagues to visit the French deep-sea yellow submarine Trieste. French scientists were investigating "Pillow Lava" in the mid-Atlantic trench and our club was investigating something similar, what happens when hot lave runs down into sea water.

Anyway the 'human' part of Trieste was a metal ball with an internal diameter of about 6 foot (for the crew of 3). The metal walls were about 9 inches to a foot thick and the entry port on top tapered inwards so was just wide enough for a persons shoulders at the inner end, with the outer hole about half-as-much again. So water pressure would force the door to shut tighter & tighter as the sub descended. The only view out was by peering into what looked like a binocular microscope but which was actually optically connected to two clear quartz cones (tapered again) which went through the pressure hull.

Perhaps needless to say, we didn't actually go down in Trieste, she was secured to the support ship which was secured to the jetty in the local port..

The surviving co-owner of the company on video still protesting that there was nothing wrong with the submersible...