British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,592

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th June 2023, 9:08 AM

As he well knows, Herc specifically asked me not to post any proof -"can you expand on that with facts? No, don't bother as we're never going to see eye to eye on this."

I was being sarcastic, as you are never wrong.

Anyway...................pick my post to pieces, be selective and literal.

But we seem to have strayed from my original post, which was about the brave lump of shit who stabbed four very young children.

He was seen, was filmed and there was absolutely no doubt that it was him with the knife and who did the stabbing.

Thank heavens the children seem to be on the mend, but if one of them had died, then I see no reason why he shouldn't have forfeited his life.
And that was my point, basically. If there is absolutely no doubt who the murderer was, then they should pay the ultimate price.

As we are now in listing mode :-

Ian Brady "The Moors Murderer" also tortured the children, which he recorded on tape to savour later, I expect.

Dennis Nielsen - who jammed up the drains in and around his house with the body parts

Harold Shipman - aka Doctor Death, who was thought to have killed a staggering 250 of his patients

Peter Sutcliffe - the Yorkshire Strangler, convicted of killing 13 women

Fred West - "The House of Horror Murderers" - tortured and murdered teenage girls

And finally, as it was on my doorstep so to speak...........
Steve Wright, who killed five prostitutes in 2006

Some are now dead (thank heavens), but my original point is, there was no doubt of their guilt and they should have been executed, end of story.

Google is your friend Hazard.
The subject can never be black and white.
Nobody is saying 'all killers should be executed just certain categories.

Since the discovery of DNA for forensic science and cctv everywhere, absolute convictions are very accurate.
There is no room for doubt where DNA and footage exists.

But killers that are let out to do it again on the words of some committee (probably a few of like-minded people like you) is deplorable.
I would prefer that life means life in all cases of murder in the first degree.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th June 2023, 9:38 AM

What sort of policies would a government have to introduce for you to consider them truly right-wing?

Well, here's a few off the top of my head:

Tackle law & order by bringing police back on the streets, by enforcing the laws that do exist, by ensuring appropriate sentencing and by taking back control of the prisons (I hesitate to mention the return of capital punishment!)

Tackle immigration properly (not merely by rhetoric); ensure the deportation of any non-GB national convicted of an indictable offence;

Reform the education system, legislate to ban politically motivated teaching & bring back grammar schools;

Bring back apprenticeships rather than encouraging everybody to go on to further education whether it is appropriate for them or not;

Stop meddling in other countries' affairs;

Re-nationalise the railways and the utilities;

Support family values; re-define equality and "hate-crime" legislation;

Review green taxes & eco-policies and overseas aid

Yeah, just make life mean life. That way nobody remurders and anybody innocent jailed won't be executed. That's the death penalty discussion sorted.

But a good public hanging would be a lovely morning. Especially if they let you throw stuff at them.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th June 2023, 10:23 AM

Well, here's a few off the top of my head:

Tackle law & order by bringing police back on the streets, by enforcing the laws that do exist, by ensuring appropriate sentencing and by taking back control of the prisons (I hesitate to mention the return of capital punishment!)

Tackle immigration properly (not merely by rhetoric); ensure the deportation of any non-GB national convicted of an indictable offence;

Reform the education system, legislate to ban politically motivated teaching & bring back grammar schools;

Bring back apprenticeships rather than encouraging everybody to go on to further education whether it is appropriate for them or not;

Stop meddling in other countries' affairs;

Re-nationalise the railways and the utilities;

Support family values; re-define equality and "hate-crime" legislation;

Review green taxes & eco-policies and overseas aid

Interesting. Thanks.
A few of these things sound like present government policy anyway. They are just terrible at implementing them.
We already have grammar schools and apprenticeships. One of my relatives went from grammar school to an apprenticeship at 18 and into a job. He is 25.
Renationalising utilities definitely isn't a right-wing thing.
Assume you generally oppose foreign aid, equality and environmental legislation?
Death penalty is morally wrong and ineffective. Just keep dangerous convicted murderers in prison. Just my view!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th June 2023, 9:46 AM

Google is your friend Hazard.

No, facts are my friend.
Or does everyone else just work from memory?
In which case, well done Billy.

But killers that are let out to do it again on the words of some committee (probably a few of like-minded people like you)...

Thanks for that

I would prefer that life means life in all cases of murder in the first degree.

In which case we are agreed.
State sanctioned murder is (in my opinion!) morally reprehensible and open to error with disastrous results.

Foreign aid to certain countries is laughable. If India can afford a space rocket then they don't need our money

Quote: Chappers @ 11th June 2023, 11:24 AM

Foreign aid to certain countries is laughable. If India can afford a space rocket then they don't need our money

It's dropped significantly - but it needs reviewing.
Very little of it seems to end up in the hands of the poor - I suspect it is mainly being used to sugar any prospective deals with India.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: "Since 2015 the UK has given no financial aid to the government of India. Most of our funding now is focused on business investments which help create new markets and jobs for the UK, as well as India. UK investments are also helping tackle shared challenges such as climate change."

Wee Jimmy arrested!

Hoots mon!

Quote: chipolata @ 11th June 2023, 10:26 AM

Yeah, just make life mean life. That way nobody remurders and anybody innocent jailed won't be executed. That's the death penalty discussion sorted.

Like the ludicrous and laughable life sentence recently :-

British teen reported to anti-terror police by mother gets life sentence with minimum 6-year term

A teenage man who was reported to British anti-terror authorities by his mother was jailed for life on Friday and will serve a minimum term of six years for plotting a terror attack on police officers or soldiers

Why is it, it seems, judges are not answerable to anyone

The prisons are full up

They dont throw people in jail half the time cos there's no bloody room left

This country is a joke

Tags and asbos is all bullshit too

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th June 2023, 3:22 PM

Like the ludicrous and laughable life sentence recently :-

British teen reported to anti-terror police by mother gets life sentence with minimum 6-year term

A teenage man who was reported to British anti-terror authorities by his mother was jailed for life on Friday and will serve a minimum term of six years for plotting a terror attack on police officers or soldiers

Why is it, it seems, judges are not answerable to anyone

In a way, you're highlighting the problem with the death penalty by pointing out the lack of trust in judges and the judicial system. Why would we want to give them the power of life and death over people when we have such a low opinion of them?

Brady was absolutely desperate for the death penalty

I for one am glad he spent decades rotting in a cell in misery instead

I wished he had live until 103

And no I don't give a toss about the expense incurred

If we can find money for wars and coronations we can afford it