British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,518

UK reliance on Russian fossil fuels

In 2021 imports from Russia made up 4% of gas used in the UK, 9% of oil and 27% of coal. In 2021, imports of gas, oil and coal from Russian to the UK were worth a combined £4.5 billion.11 Nov 2022

Imports of fossil fuels from Russia - House of Commons Library https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9523/

Europe Snaps Up Coal From Abroad to Fill Gap Left by Russia https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-05/coal-imports-pour-into-energy-starved-europe-from-around-globe

Once again, Bill - not this kind of coal.
This coal is not used for energy production - it will not create heat, light or electricity for anyone, anywhere.
It's not that kind of coal!
It's not even the kind of coal that can be transformed into coke suitable for modern steel generation.
Which is why the bulk of it will be sold to the less advanced economies of Europe.
It will not replace Russian coal.
We have no shortage of this kind of coal.
Not sure what you hope to achieve with these facts that have absolutely no bearing on the opening of this new mine in Cumbria.

You can't beat political bias with actual facts.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th December 2022, 6:11 PM

Once again, Bill - not this kind of coal.
This coal is not used for energy production - it will not create heat, light or electricity for anyone, anywhere.
It's not that kind of coal!
It's not even the kind of coal that can be transformed into coke suitable for modern steel generation.

You're mistaken - it is perfect for making coke. You need to read past the biased, agenda-driven reporting.
It's anthracitic and 70% will be used in the making of steel.

And you need to read my post properly.
I said "It's not even the kind of coal that can be transformed into coke suitable for modern steel generation."

From that well known hot-bed of tofu-eating communists, the New Civil Engineer:
"In fact, West Cumbria Mining (the people opening the mine)estimates that 83% of the coal mined at the site will be exported abroad. Experts have also said that it is unlikely that any of the coal will be used in the UK because its quality means it can't be used by UK steel companies."

Or maybe Chris McDonald, CEO of The Materials Processing Institute, the UK's national centre for steel research, who's woke, lefty agenda, is, I should imagine, the successful production of steel in the UK:
"The UK steel industry has been clear that the coal from the West Cumbria mine has limited potential due to its high sulphur levels.
This, combined with the industry's drive to decarbonise, means that by the time the mine opens, only one of the UK's current four blast furnaces is likely to be able to use this coal, meaning that more than 90% of production will be exported. The situation is the same in Europe with even tighter sulphur controls and a faster drive to green steel, meaning that some companies will have moved away from coal completely by the mid 2030s."

It's the wrong sort of coal.

Nutty slack..............dunno, just like saying it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th December 2022, 10:58 AM

Nutty slack..............dunno, just like saying it.

Pretty sure that was the name of the bloke who came up with the idea of opening this ludicrous coal mine.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th December 2022, 11:00 AM

Pretty sure that was the name of the bloke who came up with the idea of opening this ludicrous coal mine.

I think he was married to Slack Alice

Strange how the only source of the rumour that there is too much sulphur in the new Cumbrian coal seems to be from an anti-coal organization.

Can anyone here find a reputable source of this 'information'? I'm disinclined to believe it as it stands.

Which anti-coal organisation?

Aaron when oh when oh when will you create a new dedicated Coal thread?

So I don't have to wade through 3 pages of the stuff everyday

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th December 2022, 6:01 PM

Aaron when oh when oh when will you create a new dedicated Coal thread?

So I don't have to wade through 3 pages of the stuff everyday

The most eloquent argument for a low-carbon energy system yet.
?

Don't be slipping on icy pavements this morning. You might have trouble getting mended.

We were having trouble anyway as the NHS is on the floor thanks to the 'Unspoken policies' of the Tories designed to undermine a free service and show a paid service to be the better option.
I'm surprised people know they're on strike as the Daily Mail is given over once again to pursuing that young black mother who married a prince.

You didn't mention Brexit?