British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,504

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st October 2022, 5:10 PM

The woman herself stood at a dias and said that she 'Dreams of planes full of migrants being flown to Rwanda at Christmas'

No, she didn't. She sat, being interviewed, and said about three separate things that collectively add up to that statement.

And none of them are even near making the environment hostile enough.

'Hostile Enough' Let's leave it at that shall we as I can see we are poles apart when it comes to humanity and concern.

Don't hide behind your patronising 'you good, me bad.
What's a solution? It's a fair question.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st October 2022, 5:27 PM

Every country has border controls and systems of legal entry for immigrants.
I'd like to know your solution to the thousands coming every month.
Easy to be outraged....what's the answer?

The answer is faster processing.
Initially that requires extra money - but in the long run it will save on accommodation costs.
Over three-quarters will be granted asylum - the sooner they're out their earning a crust and paying tax, the better.
Also, processing centres in France - which we have been offered but have turned down.
It's the sluggishness of the system that's causing these awful conditions on the Kent coast.
And its lack of a legal route across the Channel that's putting money in the traffiker's pockets.

I don't hide behind anything I just don't like camps where people are held illegally and I don't hold with making asylum seekers being placed in 'Hostile' situations.

Braverman ticks all the boxes as far as being a Tory cabinet minister

Incompetent

And also a liar

F**k up, hope nobody finds out - then when they do , lie through your teeth

Worst. government. Ever.

But no solution. Just moral spouting.

To incompetent liars?

General election

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st October 2022, 6:04 PM

The answer is faster processing.
Initially that requires extra money - but in the long run it will save on accommodation costs.
Over three-quarters will be granted asylum - the sooner they're out their earning a crust and paying tax, the better.

Sad but probably true. It's an horrendous mess that needs really radical reform to combat. As in so many areas of policy. But none of them have the spine or the gumption to do it.

The solution as I see it is to process people faster and smarter and to seek out agreements with countries of origin about returning nationals with no documentation who fail to meet the criteria.
I fully understand that many crossing are economic migrants while others just want to be with their family who are already here.
At the despatch box today where she was standing (Not when she was sat down let's get that distinction out the way'
The Home Secretary said that it is costing the tax payer over five million pounds a day to house asylum seekers in hotels.
Now while my math is not the greatest by her own account the government is spending 1825 million quid a year on hotels.
The Britania group in particular makes a fortune from it despite being owned by a Non Dom, who no doubts go mates with half the tory party?
For what we spend we don't need camps guarded by minimum wage workers in hi viz jackets many of who will be immigrants themselves working for agencies on zero hour contracts
Now while these camps have some civil servants in them for processing purposes, it would be fair to say that they are badly run overcrowded and not fit for kids

Why not build a state of the art turnaround centre , thats safe secure and fit for purpose. lets be honest this problem is not going away and its clearly going to increase as humanity goes back onto the roads to flee injustice war and famine not to mention extreme weather events.
Do it right don't do it nasty, have a process that works not one where a family are sat in a hotel room for 400 days no school for their kids or washing and ironing faciltes. They should be be told they can stay or they must leave with 7 working days.
But as that requires both competence and compassion I fear no tory will ever grasp it.

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st October 2022, 7:03 PM

To incompetent liars?

General election

That's not a solution. That just changes the face of the incompetent liars we see on the news each night.

No it doesn't Keir Starmer may be a crashing bore but you can not question his integrity.
We are 12 years into a sleazefest, so its easy to think they are all the same, but they're not thats the crap they say when people want change. 'We're al as bad as each other' Thats not true The Greens The Liberals The Labour party the SNP have some amazing people.
Even Jeremy Corbyn who you can love or loathe for his policies has more integrity than any Tory you want to name , because when Grieve Ieft integrity went with him.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st October 2022, 7:34 PM

No it doesn't Keir Starmer may be a crashing bore but you can not question his integrity.

I can and do. He's a complete charlatan. More so than many on the government front benches.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st October 2022, 7:34 PM

The Greens The Liberals The Labour party the SNP have some amazing people.
Even Jeremy Corbyn who you can love or loathe for his policies has more integrity than any Tory you want to name , because when Grieve Ieft integrity went with him.

Gosh. You really are quite unwell, Teddy.

Quote: Aaron @ 31st October 2022, 7:34 PM

Gosh. You really are quite unwell, Teddy.

Well let's hope he doesn't need an ambulance or an NHS bed , or he's screwed. ?

Why because my views differ from yours?. I'm glad they do.
As for Keir Starmer could you back up you assertions with facts? It seems to be the de rigueur on here at the moment.
Keir Starmer is a bore but if you seriously think that anyone on the entire front bench of government who have been out lying for PM after PM have more integrity than him, then your judgement is open to question.