British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,500

Quote: chipolata @ 25th October 2022, 10:20 AM

I've got no time for misogyny. You don't like someone, fine, but that kind of comment is fairly nasty.

It needs to work both ways though.

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th October 2022, 9:31 PM

I find that a lot of people who slag her off are basically snobs who think that anyone who is working class and speaks with a regional accent has no business in having anything to do with being in government

That's primarily for the Johnsons and the Reese Moggs of this world

There is such a thing as inverted snobbery as well.

Absolutely no one in this discussion is covering themselves in glory. Please, all take this as a not-quite-formal-but-nevertheless-serious warning.

I'm not going to single out any specific examples, but the various pejoratives flying around really do need to be dialled down, whether they're directed at public figures or other posters. None are pleasant or necessary. Should they continue, accounts will start being suspended without further notice.

The Minister for the 1850's aka the Haunted Pencil aka Reece Smug has tendered his resignation and it has been gleefully accepted by his victorius foe. So the day hasn't been a complete waste I suppose.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th October 2022, 9:45 AM

The problem is that, like David Cameron which led to his badly mis-judging the outcome of the EU referendum, many people of strong political opinions tend to mix only with those of the same mind and to work in environments that do not attract a cross-section of different views. Therefore they have no idea how other people think and mistakenly believe that the vast majority of people have the same outlook as themselves. That's how we ended up with Brexit to the great surprise of the political classes.

You are making a complicated political issue about a simple matter, which isn't political at all.

I simply request that member of this forum THINK before posting ANY message in which they claim to speak for others, unless they really, really do. All it takes is the addition of a few simple words such as: In my opinion or It seems that or The opinion polls say.
Claiming to speak for those whose opinions the poster cannot possibly know, just makes the poster look stupid; the kind of stupidity that many journalists seem to extrude.
IMO such 'claims' detract from the validity of the posting; anything else in the posting can be ignored.

Well, he's re-instated the previously resigned (because she broke the rules, but as Sunak knows that's no barrier to high office) Suella Braverman as Home Secretary.
So her dream of flying people against their will to Rwanda lives on.
As do our nightmares.
As per forum rules, we're not allowed to call politicians rude names any more so I'll just call her a True Blue Tory.
Which is about as rude as it gets.

She is clearly a concession to the ERG. I think Badenoch would have been a better nod to the loons as she is not as tacky or as blatant a dog whistler as Braverman despite having almost identical views.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th October 2022, 5:27 PM

She is clearly a concession to the ERG. I think Badenoch would have been a better nod to the loons as she is not as tacky or as blatant a dog whistler as Braverman despite having almost identical views.

Agreed.
All the usual suspects are salivating over her re-appointment on the Twitter.

So we have ANOTHER prime minister

I'd have given it to Sam Allardyce this time

Anyway, the new guy lost a popularity contest a few weeks ago - to LIZ TRUSS

We get the booby prize

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th October 2022, 5:23 PM

Well, he's re-instated the previously resigned (because she broke the rules, but as Sunak knows that's no barrier to high office) Suella Braverman as Home Secretary.

He's risking claims of nepotism and "one rule for MPs another for us".

This morning he pledged "integrity... at every level"

So Braverman , who had to resign six days ago for breaking the ministerial code - gets a job in the cabinet

He's no different from bj

Rules are for everyone else ...

It looks like they may not link the benefits rise with the rate of inflation.
If that is the case then given that 38.3% of UC recipients are actually in work I suggest an additional tax of sorts be implemented.
Any employer using UC staff such as most of the big supermarkets , should only post their profits after they have paid back every penny of UC their workers have received.
Otherwise the tax payer is paying their staffs wages shortfall instead of the business.
Most of these 30 hour jobs are designed around manipulating the benefits system and its big business that's doing the manipulation.

True British racists should love Sunak, it gives them a chance to blame an individual rather than an entire race for all that is wrong in their lives. You've got to give it to Truss, it only took her 50 days for everything to be her fault. I bet Sunak takes longer.

I see President Biden is on the ball again.
He announced we had a new prime minister called ?????? ?????? then said, 'he's Conservative too, that's pretty astounding

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th October 2022, 11:22 PM

It looks like they may not link the benefits rise with the rate of inflation.
If that is the case then given that 38.3% of UC recipients are actually in work I suggest an additional tax of sorts be implemented.
Any employer using UC staff such as most of the big supermarkets , should only post their profits after they have paid back every penny of UC their workers have received.
Otherwise the tax payer is paying their staffs wages shortfall instead of the business.
Most of these 30 hour jobs are designed around manipulating the benefits system and its big business that's doing the manipulation.

100%
it's a con.

Larry the cat, glues himself to the road outside No. 10 in protest
over the new fish Tikka Masala Whiskas, he's been given