British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,491

Can someone explain to me why the new stamps with barcodes on them still feature Queen Elizabeth II and not King Charles?

Quote: Chappers @ 18th October 2022, 7:18 PM

Can someone explain to me why the new stamps with barcodes on them still feature Queen Elizabeth II and not King Charles?

Because they've already been produced.

Literally unbelievable

Labour leads by 36%.

Largest lead for ANY party with ANY polling company since October 1997.

Westminster VI (16 Oct.):

Labour 56% (+3)
Conservative 20% (-4)
Lib Dems 11% (-2)
Green 5% (+2)
SNP 4% (-)
Reform UK 2% (-)
Other 1% (-2)

It is amazing.
I doubt Labour would win by literally that much even if there was an election today although I'm sure they would win a three figure majority.
Of course, the election isn't today. It won't be for a while. But 36% is a hell of a gap for them to close.
I don't think they'll be able to do it.

More bad news for Tory MPs, who've been landed with a three-line whip to vote down Labour's anti-fracking motion this afternoon.
Many Tory MP's will be forced to piss off their already mightily pissed-off constituents/voters, who really really don't want fracking in their region.
Normally they'd be allowed to abstain so they could keep their hands clean - but not now, as the govt are treating this as a confidence vote.
The irony is, this is a three-line whip by the Tories against one of their 2019 manifesto commitments.
Torrid time to be a Tory.

Average London wages for transport drivers:

Train £62,537
Tube £62,481
Bus £29,966
Delivery £26,792

*source Glassdoor.co.uk and FOI requests from the press.

That's the difference a powerful union and the legacy of nationalisation make. These strikes and this government will increase the wealth divide.

Saturday 22 October
RMT members of Avanti West Coast Train Managers
Merseyrail services are unaffected.* Other operators will be affected so please check their website before you travel.
Sunday 6 November
RMT members of Avanti West Coast Train Managers
Merseyrail services are unaffected.* Other operators will be affected so please check their website before you travel.

Quote: Firkin @ 19th October 2022, 2:20 PM

Average London wages for transport drivers:

Train £62,537
Tube £62,481
Bus £29,966

Blimey, that's an eye-opener!
How can train drivers and tube train drivers be earning twice as much as bus drivers? They shouldn't even be earning as much - never mind more.
To drive a train (normal or tube), you only need one button for go and another for stop. You don't have to steer the thing around corners and you don't even have to look where you're going most of the time.
Bus driving is a much more responsible job, mainly because bus drivers have to make conscious decisions about when to turn right or left. They also have to avoid smashing into each of the thousands of vehicles coming in the opposite direction every day as well as not smashing into the vehicle immediately in front of them. When did a train driver ever have to do anything like that?
A monkey could drive a train but a monkey couldn't drive a bus, could it? No - because, apart from anything else, it'd be stopping outside every greengrocer's or minimart and running in to steal bananas.
Transport drivers' wages need a complete overhaul.

Surely it is better to demand that everyone's wages rise rather than to demand some be lowered to create a negative parity? We live in a time were everyone seems to know what they're against but fail to tell us what they are for?
This includes Starmer and the Labour Party as I would rather be voting for policies if he outlines them rather than voting against Truss because she's a total plant plot.

Looks like the Tory Buddhist has either been sacked or quit. Karma?

Chris Mason, BBC Political Editor: "My understanding is Suella Braverman's resignation was not over a disagreement about government policy, but instead what was described to me as an honest mistake on the part of the now former home secretary.

What was the mistake? Accepting the job in the first place?

Tonight at 7pm the Tory Mp's have been told that if they vote for the stance on fracking that they were elected on and was in their manifesto, they will lose the whip.
Sackings Lies, Stock market mayhem , mass immigration deals , massive cuts strikes up and down the country, Scots demanding out, billions stolen and its getting worse by the hour.
And they said Corbyn was mad, he couldn't have come up with this even if he had three lines of charlie and a bottle of vodka.
As I write the new Home Secretary is Grant Schaps a man known for entering false names is now in charge of law and order.

Grant Schaps is walking up Downing Street. Given the time scale involved you could be forgiven that there is a few of them in the pub around the corner waiting for the call. Lets hope the Haunted Pencil aka Rees Mogg Minister for the 1850's gets told to get on his Penny Farthing.

Genuine "Final Days in the Bunker" vibes coming out of No. 10 right now.
Larry the Cat ought to make himself scarce - and definitely don't eat the funny-tasting cat-food!