British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,474

Quote: chipolata @ 29th September 2022, 3:21 PM

I don't know, I think Truss really has lowered the bar to a whole new level.

The plan to oniy talk to local radio stations so that she got a soft ride didn't go to well.
Absolutely eviscerated.
A great advertisement for local radio.

Sunak predicted virtually to the letter what her plans would do to the economy- his party didn't want to know

I am beginning to believe they elected Truss because they WANT to lose the next GE

the country is screwed for decades - why not bail out and let Labour try to sort out the unholy mess?

Holeeeeeecrap

Our latest VI poll has Labour with a *33pt* lead over the Tories, the highest of any recorded poll since the late 1990s. (Fieldwork 28-29 Sep)

Con: 21% (-7 from 23-25 Sep)
Lab: 54% (+9)
Lib Dem: 7% (-2)
Green: 6% (-1)
Reform UK: 4% (+1)
SNP: 5% (+1)

------

What *That* YouGov poll could look like in a General Election:

LAB: 498 (+296)
CON: 61 (-304)
SNP: 36 (-12)
LDM: 29 (+18)
PLC: 4 (=)
Others: 2 (+2)
GRN: 1 (=)

NI: 18

Labour Majority of 346

???

Did you take part, or know anyone that did?

Quote: Aaron @ 29th September 2022, 1:06 PM

Having seen how insulated and self-aggrandising they are be magnified to the nth degree in recent years: yes. Yes it very much can!

Did you miss the bit where I said successful company

:-)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th September 2022, 6:56 PM

Did you take part, or know anyone that did?

The needle's stuck, give it a bang.

You do know that governments and businesses make policy decisions based on accredited surveys & polls like these?
In fact YouGov was founded by top Tory Nadhim Zahawi - so if it's been fiddled, it's been fiddled by your lot!

150 billion pounds in giveaways to the public- and only 21% Of them are willing to say they would vote for them?

There's gratitude!

Michael Foot got better polling than this...

Do you reckon Putin interfered in those referendums?
Because, let's be honest, it's not like he hasn't got form.

Quote: Lazzard @ 29th September 2022, 9:30 PM

The needle's stuck, give it a bang.

You do know that governments and businesses make policy decisions based on accredited surveys & polls like these?
In fact YouGov was founded by top Tory Nadhim Zahawi - so if it's been fiddled, it's been fiddled by your lot!

Did you take the poll?

Where is the info on it?

For all you know they ran it in Walton, Liverpool.

They are not known for real accuracy when it comes to the crunch.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th September 2022, 10:07 PM

Where is the info on it?

Here you go.
Bit of a long read, but anything to help. https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/6ukuklig5f/TheTimes_VI_BestPM_220929_W.pdf

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th September 2022, 9:54 PM

150 billion pounds in giveaways to the public- and only 21% Of them are willing to say they would vote for them?

There's gratitude!

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th September 2022, 10:07 PM

Did you take the poll?

Where is the info on it?

They are not known for real accuracy when it comes to the crunch.

Probably fair to assume on all the available evidence that Labour are substantially more popular than the Conservatives are currently. Hardly surprising given that the Tories have effectively just torpedoed the economy.
Things may well have changed by the time of the next election. Will you need to be running that election yourself before you are prepared to trust the result?

YouGov are known to tweak the results of polls before they publish them. Ex-employees have admitted it.
The word 'tweak is very vague and I would actually take it to mean 'change to what we think.
Your own words 'Things may have changed by the next GE', they may change by next week but none of it counts for anything until real people put real X's on a ballot paper.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th September 2022, 7:54 AM

YouGov are known to tweak the results of polls before they publish them. Ex-employees have admitted it.

They are known to "tweak the results"? What does that even mean?
Provide evidence for your claims, please.

The polls have got every election forecast wrong in the last decade at least so I wouldn't pay any attention to them. But history tells us that governments rarely do more than 15year stints and when they do, it usually leads to a big majority for the opposition and that's why Truss is going for it with full cream Tory idealist policies that are rarely allowed out of their dreams - as she knows she's been left with just two years in office whatever she does.

So the more radical Tory policies in place when Labour take over, the harder it is for them to get them back to the level they want. It's Machiavellian, but then Brown did exactly the same in his two years as PM - putting the higher tax rate up to 50% as a leaving present for the new Cameron govt.