British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,468

Quote: DaButt @ 18th September 2022, 12:11 PM

Are you Larry Elliott or Richard Partington?

Unlikely to be Larry Elliot, as he was a Brexiteer and, for some reason, doesn't like to talk about the economy.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th September 2022, 1:14 PM

Anyway, the Monarchy is great. Rest in peace, your majesty. God save The King. Long live The King.

Hurrah.

Aspects of it are imo yes, especially the surge of patriotism and national pride from events like this. But overall I think it needs some serious reforming, not just thinning down as Charles wants. There is undoubtedly a huge 'disconnect' (I'll look for a better word) between the lavish and expensive pomp and palaver for someone who didn't have it too bad, let's admit, and the current economic plight of many.

But also politically, I look at all this fantastic spectacle and the overriding image I get is of the tail wagging the dog, not the other way around as it we are led to believe it is. Something isn't quite right with the balance there, or even the concept of a 'constitutional monarchy' with a parliament which doesn't even have a written constitution.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th September 2022, 2:48 PM

... that would have old Oliver Cromwell spinning in his graves.

Good, the odious turd.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th September 2022, 11:34 PM

Y

................................... if anything in homage to Charles II who was made king after Cromwell's family had their arses kicked.

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th September 2022, 12:41 PM

Hey, how many land mines have you ever stepped on?

Ungrateful...

Might've saved a bit of time.

He may not have been the most pleasant of persons but he is the father of the mother of all parliaments. If we are now giving all our deference to the emasculated monarchy then why not just hand the power back to them and have done with parliament?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th September 2022, 4:33 PM

He may not have been the most pleasant of persons but he is the father of the mother of all parliaments.

He's not. Parliament was around long before he was.

why not just hand the power back to them and have done with parliament?

Now you're talking my language.

He may not have been the most pleasant of persons but he is the father of the mother of all parliaments. If we are now giving all our deference to the emasculated monarchy then why not just hand the power back to them and have done with parliament?

Reading Robert Harris' latest - The Act of Oblivion - about the period after the restoration of Charles II.
Good stuff.
The Royal court is not painted in a good light - the heroes are the ex-Cromwellians on the run from a vengeful government representative.
Like all Harris novels, the detail and research are excellent.

The monarchy is total and utter shit.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th September 2022, 4:40 PM

He's not. Parliament was around long before he was.

Yes and every one had their power curtailed by the monarch until Cromwell. And he is or his statue wouldn't sit at Westminster saying as much. The father of all free and sovereign parliaments then.

I'll be glad to see the back of that queue. Some of the bowing and saluting is shockingly poor.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th September 2022, 1:14 PM

Anyway, the Monarchy is great. Rest in peace, your majesty. God save The King. Long live The King.

Nice to see you so enthusiastic about our new lefty Woke King.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2022, 11:38 AM

I'm sure the Queen was shitting herself over the economic crisis. How did she survive? What was her secret? I guess we'll never know.
This useless bitch didn't give a f**k whether you live or die. Why should you give a f**k about her?

It ain't me repeating myself,it's history!
3.02-3.18 https://youtu.be/9l4JpI0nwf8

Why did you leave our beautiful country?

I see Wee Jimmy Krankie was at the funeral. Hypocrte!

Domino's Pizza today mocked the pair over the debate, tweeting: "Apologies to anyone waiting on their pizza, we've just received an order from Holly and Phil #ThisMorning".