British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,464

Or sending a whole van of riot police round to some house before smashing the door down - to arrest the occupant for having a hundredth of an ounce of weed in a coffee tin

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th September 2022, 11:39 AM

Undoubtedly.
But we are either a free country, with freedom of speech and the rule of law - or we aren't.
Of course its crass holding up a silly poster at such an event - but neither an arrest, nor a mob-kicking are what this country should stand far.
Not sure Charlie-boy would approve of us descending to such behaviour, either.

Well on the other hand

If that had happened after the death of Elizabeth I - the guy would have been drawn, hung and quartered in the blink of an eye!

Hung first, or there'd be nothing to hang.

They were drawn to the scaffold, then hung , cut down whilst still alive, then quartered

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th September 2022, 6:04 PM

They were drawn to the scaffold, then hung , cut down whilst still alive, then quartered

Who did the drawing? The Court artist?

Apparently those thicko weirdoes Jedward made an ill-advised political comment about the Queen and King Charles.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th September 2022, 6:04 PM

The "drawn" refers to drawing out of the intestines. not dragging people about.

Hence it being called hung, drawn and quarted.

It does seem harsh arresting that man for calling Andrew a dirty old man. He was a bellend to shout anything, but we are supposed to be a nation that believes in free speach and all that.

You already know free speech is allowed only if you agree with what is being said, if you don't it's a phobe or an ist

I suppose he was an Anti-Royalist...

Quote: billwill @ 13th September 2022, 10:45 PM

The "drawn" refers to drawing out of the intestines. not dragging people about.

Wrong

Don't you people watch QI ?

The drawing part doesn't refer to the imasculating and eviscerating part

The criminal was 'drawn' to his place of execution- usually being pulled by a horse whilst strapped to a wooden frame

Actually there's seems to be evidence for both meanings of 'drawn' - but I'll go with Stephen Fry if it's all the same....

The centre parc saga is amusing.
First they say 'all guests must leave Monday and find alternative accomodation and come back Tuesday.
That's very Faulty Towers.
Then after an uproar, they came to their senses and said they can stay.
Ah, issue resolved...
But, they cannot leave their chalets. They must stay inside all day and cannot leave the camp.
John Cleese would struggle to write that and make it true to life.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th September 2022, 2:16 PM

The centre parc saga is amusing.
First they say 'all guests must leave Monday and find alternative accomodation and come back Tuesday.
That's very Faulty Towers.
Then after an uproar, they came to their senses and said they can stay.
Ah, issue resolved...
But, they cannot leave their chalets. They must stay inside all day and cannot leave the camp.
John Cleese would struggle to write that and make it true to life.

And they've now come full circle and say they will compensate guests for the fact that all the facilities will be closed.
This is what happens when you apply centuries old rules to the modern world.
Just makes the Monarchy look silly.
(Which it is by the way. Not that I'm in any particular rush to change it. Just don't ask me to take it seriously)

Where I work , this completely out of the blue bank holiday has caused absolute chaos

We now have a lot of angry customers...

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th September 2022, 2:20 PM

This is what happens when you apply centuries old rules to the modern world.
Just makes the Monarchy look silly.

Of everything going on over this fortnight, I'm not sure the decisions over the closure (or not) of Center Parcs can be put down to the monarchy!