British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 143

That's a good point actually, how long can they work? Can't be full time can it? Everyone gets their bins collected early in the morning.

Ever considered what happens to the rubbish after it's collected? Seems not.

They drive it away from my house and then cease to exist! Duh.

Quote: zooo @ June 3 2010, 1:13 AM BST

They drive it away from my house and then cease to exist! Duh.

And they've got the vote. Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Rolling eyes

I'm fairly certain that our trash collectors work full time and make a lot more than minimum wage. (They couldn't pay me enough to do it.)

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 3 2010, 1:17 AM BST

And they've got the vote. Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Rolling eyes

Hahaha, binmen can't vote!
Silly.

They can vote for which teddy bear is tied to the grill that week.

Quote: Leevil @ June 3 2010, 2:06 AM BST

They can vote for which teddy bear is tied to the grill that week.

Vultures seem to be quite fond of teddies.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 3 2010, 12:12 AM BST

Ah bless !

He's just trying to make a life for himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282618/Bin-chavs-Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-set-return-old-job-blowing-9-7m-win.html

Sorry about the source btw.

So the bulk of his win must have ended up in criminal hands. Perhaps there should be conditions set over what a lottery win can be spent on, if the winner fails to meet certain criteria, like 'intelligence'.

Quote: Nogget @ June 3 2010, 7:31 AM BST

So the bulk of his win must have ended up in criminal hands. Perhaps there should be conditions set over what a lottery win can be spent on, if the winner fails to meet certain criteria, like 'intelligence'.

If intelligence was a criteria for keeping lottery winnings you'd automatically disqualify 80% of normal lottery players from entering.

Quote: DaButt @ June 3 2010, 12:55 AM BST

£200 a week? Is that even minimum wage?

I remember watching a documentary about this guy.

Pretty much councils have been cutting costs for ages. One of the best ways is to stop hiring staff directly and paying private companies to carry out services. Who in turn pay staff as agency workers on minimun wage (apparently agency staff will get the same rights as permanent staff, I'll believe it when I see it).

WORTHING, England, June 1 (UPI) -- A doctor at a British hospital said a new rule requiring doctors to write "please" on blood test request forms could put patients at risk.

Administrators at England's Worthing Hospital confirmed the new policy of refusing blood tests during weekends if doctors have not written "please" on the form, The Sun reported Tuesday.

The managers said the move is aimed at easing pressure on hospital workers charged with performing blood tests by making doctors consider whether the tests are essential.

However, a doctor at the hospital said on condition of anonymity that he sees the policy as a money-saving measure that could prove dangerous for patients.

"I was shocked to come in on Sunday and find none of my bloods had been done from the night before because I'd not written 'please,'" the doctor said. "I had no results to guide treatment of patients. Myself and a senior nurse had to take the bloods ourselves, which added hours to our 12-hour shifts. This system puts patients' lives at risk. Doctors are wasting time doing the job of the technicians."

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/06/01/Doctor-slams-hospitals-please-policy/UPI-74391275418409/

Quote: DaButt @ June 3 2010, 2:09 PM BST

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/06/01/Doctor-slams-hospitals-please-policy/UPI-74391275418409/

Manners cost nothing.

Quote: DaButt @ June 3 2010, 2:09 PM BST

It seems a stupid way of making a reasonable point and one where said Dr's should read their e-mails more carefully.

Lots of blood tests are none urgent and can wait a week or so.

And if it means hiring one or less phelbotomists at weekends that could save thousands by the end of the year.

The one factor seems to be that the Dr's should have been asked to write "urgent" or "24 hours" on the samples.

But a vast institution with multi billion pound budgets and a million staff will have any number of juicy errors to laugh at.

Quote: Gavin @ June 3 2010, 2:11 PM BST

Manners cost nothing.

We should introduce a Politeness Policy on the BCG. And rudeness and you're out. ;)